Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
Jochen K.
Jochen K. began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy S4 (no second device to lug around)
Question How to handle a VERY large ebook?

Hi,

I hope someone with more experience than I have can help me with this problem:

Some time ago I downloaded a very large Ebook from Amazon (no DRM) (it was handed over for downloading to Amazon from Project Gutenberg) with several hundred titles from a "classic" author.

It converted in Calibre without a problem (except that it took nearly 24 hours to do so), but now I have no idea really how to extract individual books for reading.

The only way I have found to do this is to go to the beginning and select the whole book in question by scrolling... scrolling... scrolling... which is rather less than satisfactory - and EXTREMELY time consuming.

Is there a way to do this in a somewhat more economical way?

Regards,
Jochen
Jochen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It converted in Calibre to what format? If ePub the ePub split plug-in is the easiest way I can think of to split the book. If it's a PG title it's possibly/probably available split into individual books somewhere already?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2017, 12:27 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
How big a file is it? Does it have a lot of illustrations? Often really big files (at least those I've come across) have a good number of illustrations in different sizes which add to the overall file size.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:54 AM   #4
Jochen K.

Thanks for your prompt answers.

-No pictures that I'm aware of - just 300+ titles.

-Yes, I converted to EPub, so I'll certainly give that plug-in a try.

-A few titles are individually available on Amazon, but more than 90% are only in that collection.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
If it's originally from Project Gutenberg, why not just download the books directly from http://www.gutenberg.org ?

In addition, some of the more popular ones are also available with nicer reformatting at http://www.feedbooks.com for free too.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2017, 02:25 AM   #6
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
If it is an ePub you can split in files and after build a TOC to navigate inside.
If I will see the ePub I could tell you more.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:56 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Try EpubSplit, a calibre add-on.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:51 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Now you have me curious. What's the author's name? He or she may already be here at Mobileread in the library forum. After all why go to all the trouble of cleaning up the raw files from Gutenberg if they are already here at Mobileread.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:58 AM   #9
Jochen K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
If it's originally from Project Gutenberg, why not just download the books directly from http://www.gutenberg.org ?

I think this won't work; gutenberg.org/de lists just half a dozen of his titles, on in English, one in Dutch; the dedicated German edition (gutenberg.spiegel.de) does not, as far as I can tell, have download links of its own - you can read online or get directed to Amazon.

In addition, some of the more popular ones are also available with nicer reformatting at http://www.feedbooks.com for free too.
I'll certainly take a look at that link (in slightly less than three weeks, when my kome town Cologne shuts down for Carnival).
Old 02-06-2017, 05:03 AM   #10
Jochen K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Now you have me curious. What's the author's name? He or she may already be here at Mobileread in the library forum. After all why go to all the trouble of cleaning up the raw files from Gutenberg if they are already here at Mobileread.
It's Karl May, Saemtliche Werke (300+ titles).
It seems I'll have to visit this forum more often; I had no idea that there were ANY books here at Mobileread.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:07 AM   #11
Jochen K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
If it is an ePub you can split in files and after build a TOC to navigate inside.
If I will see the ePub I could tell you more.
Thanks - if all else fails I'll try that... during my vacation in summer, because I'd have to learn about this from scratch, seeing as I've never even heard of a "TOC".
Old 02-06-2017, 05:09 AM   #12
Jochen K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Try EpubSplit, a calibre add-on.
Thanks - I will, over Carnival.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #13
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It seems easier to me just to get the titles from Gutenberg.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:46 AM   #14
Jochen K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
It seems easier to me just to get the titles from Gutenberg.
I would - if I could find a download link on
http://gutenberg.spiegel.de
AFAIK you can only "Select all - copy" Chapter by chapter and "build" a book that way.... Thanks for making me re-think: some of the books have dozens of chapters, but some only have three or four; at least the latter would easily be handled in Gutenberg.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
You can download a DVD image with tends of thousands of Project Gutenberg books, and have them as individual files.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenb...nd_DVD_Project
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote