Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Typographer's Quotes and other formatting issues. [Assistance to a new member]

Author Brendon Michael just uploaded his novel in the Self-Promotions forum and I mentioned using typographer's quotes ['smart' quotes]. He then asked a question about it, and I decided to carry the conversation over here since the other forum is for self-promotional purposes only.

OK, Brendon: I also write and use Scrivener, too.

My copy defaults to typographer's quotes, and I compile it and then take it to calibre, where I then add it to my Library of other ebooks. (If you're not familiar with calibre, you'll find that almost all members on Mobileread have positive and wonderful things to say about that program.)

I can't remember if Scrivener automatically uses my typographer's quotes or if I have to change them in calibre.

As mentioned in the other forum, more knowledgeable members here can sort that out for you, as I am unable to give a definitive answer to your question.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-07-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
Brendon_Michael
Brendon_Michael began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This is great. Thank you for posting this here. I know that I had a box checked during compile that said "straighten smart quotes." I don't remember if it was checked by default or if I did it though.

I am trying to google some answers, so I don't ask too many here. But I can't figure out what exactly you mean when you say "typographer's quotes." Do you mean that the book would look better if my quotes were curlier? (hence the 'straighten') Is the difference something like this that can be seen or is it just something about the HTML, where my formatting won't look right on certain readers, browsers, etc.?

Thanks again!
Brendon_Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Feel free to ask questions. That's what the forum is for.

Typographer's quotes are also known as 'smart' quotes, in that they look like what one would find in a professionally typeset book: They're curly.

Take a look:

http://typographyforlawyers.com/stra...ly-quotes.html

or at this site:

http://practicaltypography.com/strai...ly-quotes.html

Old 05-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, in my opinion your book would look better if you used typographer's quotes [smart quotes/curly quotes].

Think about this: When you pick up a hardback from Knopf or Simon & Schuster, do you want the quotes to look like they came from a typewriter and using Courier? (That's the font that most typewriters had.)

Nowadays, one finds straight quotes [what you used] along with Courier font when a book is specifically trying to have a formatted piece in an older style (for an effect) in order to give that section or that excerpt a specific 'feel' for an older time.

-- I've edited some of my sentences. Please do a refresh.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-07-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Brendon_Michael
Brendon_Michael began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Gotcha. Makes perfect sense. I agree. That looks much better. Definitely going to switch over to smart quotes. I'm going to look into Calibre too. I've heard of it but Scrivener seemed pretty sufficient to me (as I'm a novice). Again, appreciate your time!
Brendon_Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon_Michael View Post
Gotcha. Makes perfect sense. I agree. That looks much better. Definitely going to switch over to smart quotes. I'm going to look into Calibre too. I've heard of it but Scrivener seemed pretty sufficient to me (as I'm a novice). Again, appreciate your time!

Calibre is more for ebook management, where you can use it to change the format and also use it to keep track of your ebooks.

It has other uses, too, and can be used to strip Digital Rights Management [DRM] off of legally 'owned' [copyrighted] ebooks for one's own legal uses.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre also incorporates an editor, which can be used to fine-tune your books after exporting to EPUB. For example, you can use the Smarten Punctuation tool to automatically upgrade dumb quotes to smart quotes.

Be sure to check the changes, since the algorithm isn't perfect and can sometimes change quotes to the wrong direction. e.g. 'twas
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote