Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 09-24-2004, 03:51 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Toshiba PPC - another one bites the dust!

With tears in my eyes I read the news at Brighthand this morning:

Toshiba confirms that it is leaving the U.S. handheld market, plus according to enterprise customers in Europe, Toshiba representatives told them that Toshiba will be out of the handheld market by the end of the year.

It also means that Toshiba has no plans to release its e830 in the US. First Sony, now Toshiba. This leaves only Dell and Asus in the market for PPC with VGA displays. And who knows, maybe it is only question of time before they leave as well?
Old 09-24-2004, 04:05 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I hate to admit it, but the future handheld market belongs to smartphones ;(
Advert
Old 09-24-2004, 04:24 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Hold on a for a moment, the article says nothing about SmartPhones being the reason for their departure. Most likely, Toshiba is leaving the US market because HP and PalmOne have nearly all the market share combined and there's no room for smaller players.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:21 AM   #4
sonypda
sonypda began at the beginning.

Device: Sony NZ90
Question SmartPhones... not so smart when they crash!!

I have a few friends who have these "SmartPhones"..The only problem with some of them is when they crash and you have to make an emergency call...it then becomes a "BIGGER EMERGENCY!!" , I think a phone should be just a phone!, I carry a Clie and a T610, works great!, when the PDA runs low on Battery it does not affect the phone, I don’t think size is that big an issue, they are both small and there are even smaller available,
So unless they can have two separate O.S.'s that can work together yet independent of each other in the event of problems where if the PDA crashes it won't shut down the phone or if you are using the PDA in heavy use ,it does not affect the battery of the phone, or some other logical approach to these issue's and with many others.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:43 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Laurens I am a strong advocate of PDAs and I would hate seeing them being swamped away by smartphones.

Yet, sadly it seems to me that most people favor buying a smartphone nowadays. Maybe Toshiba's departure can be explained by the strong dominance of other players like HP. But how does this explain Sony's departure and its stronger focus on its Sony Ericsson line?
Advert
Old 09-24-2004, 07:30 AM   #6
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
It seems plain that the money is in smartphones right now. I think that part of this may be attributable to the fact that phone purchases are often heavily subsidized by the service providers, so that customers are more likely to upgrade their phones every year, unlike PDAs. On the other hand, I have read various references that the service providers wind up putting a squeeze on the manufacturers to deliver as cheaply as possible, which has got to hurt profit margins. If we could just be a fly on the wall in one of these decision-making meetings...

I think it's a damn shame. I too, prefer separation of my phone from my PDA. It seems like it's fine if you're just using it for PIM purposes, perhaps a little MP3. But sonypda's point is good. What if you suck the battery down all day reading and then have some critical calls to make? Do you have to carry a spare battery? No easy answers here.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:57 PM   #7
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
I think the PDA is in a rapid evolutionary cycle right now and manufacturers do not know which way to jump. I see devices with PDA functionality splitting along several different paths:

1. PDA's as we know them now, but the features and pricepoints will change.

2. Smartphones.

3. Personal media players/PDA combos. (eg. mp3 or video players with PDA functions built in or dedicated ebookreaders that also have PDA functions)

4. Gaming PDA's (eg. Tapwave)

There may also be a market for devices that also do these things without PDA functionality, but I think the concept of pda sized minicomputers and OS's are here to stay.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:06 PM   #8
JongJungBu
JongJungBu began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X30
You left one out Brad. The PDA/Smartphone combination. Smartphone's aren't truly PDAs so there is a distinction between them. What I think evolution will create is much more practical or flexible versions of devices such as the PocketPC Phone Edition or the Symbian UIQ. That is what many of us see the direction that the market will turn in regards to what will eventually win out in the Smartphone and PDA question.

JJB
Old 10-01-2004, 09:17 AM   #9
Team7
Zealot
Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Toshiba e755,Samsung i730
Im currently living in Japan and I was very supprised to see a month ago about when the salesman told me that toshiba was no longer going to produce PDAs. Especially since I bought my Toshiba e755 the day prior.