Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Guymarble
Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura
Book covers on books bought from kobo

Hi, my kobo has started displaying covers with two white borders on the side rather than filling the screen while in sleep mode. Previous books that did display full screen are now doing the same thing.

I have searched the forums and found other people having the same problem however, they were referring to books put on through Calibre and not bought from kobo itself.

I work at WHSmith on the kobo department and looked to see if it was doing it on the demo models, checked two glo's both running 2.4.0 with the same books and one had the lines and the other didn't

Any help would be appreciated
Guymarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
It could be that the books have a cover image that is taller than your readers screen and that 'Preserve aspect ratio' setting (such as in Calibre) is set (true).
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does changing (on the Kobo) Settings | Sleep & Power | ScreenSaver | Full Screen make a difference?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
Guymarble
Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
It could be that the books have a cover image that is taller than your readers screen and that 'Preserve aspect ratio' setting (such as in Calibre) is set (true).
Books that I have already read used to display the covers full screen, but now they have the white border so it's worked in the past, and I don't use Calibre I just download straight from Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Does changing (on the Kobo) Settings | Sleep & Power | ScreenSaver | Full Screen make a difference?
Its already ticked and when i untick it, it displays even smaller

Very strange how its just randomly started doing it.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymarble View Post
Books that I have already read used to display the covers full screen, but now they have the white border so it's worked in the past, and I don't use Calibre I just download straight from Kobo

Its already ticked and when i untick it, it displays even smaller

Very strange how its just randomly started doing it.
I think it would have changed with a new firmware update. Firmware 2.1.5 would stretch the cover to fill the whole screen. Firmware 2.4.0 keeps the image's original aspect ratio, which for most covers is taller and narrower than the screen. I can't remember which way firmware 2.3.1 did it.

Personally I think the new way of doing it is a big improvement, I don't like the look of the stretched covers. But others may feel differently :-)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Put me down for preservation of aspect ratio as well. Distortion is worse than white space. However, the choice to selectively crop wouldn't exactly put me off.

Frankly, if you're buying from a publisher it'd be nice if they formatted it to fit your reader, but then I suppose they might have more than one aspect ratio to deal with within their own product line.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Guymarble

Ah right ok, I will probably get used to it after a while thanks for the replys