Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Kobo Desktop and ADE

Today I bought a new book from the Kobo store.

When I went to run Kobo Desktop, it performed an update, then downloaded the new book, but won't actually open it. When I try to open it in Desktop, it gives me an error that the file is locked or corrupt. All my old books appear to open fine.

Is this something to do with the new Desktop?

One thing that has recently changed is that I have installed ADE, so I can borrow library books. If I download the Adobe file and open it in ADE, I can read it.

Has my ADE authorisation somehow broken the Desktop? What can I do about it? How can I tell Kobo Desktop to ignore the new book and let me manage it through ADE? What will happen if both programs try to install it on my reader?

To be honest, I'm happy enough to drop Desktop now they've made me go to the stupid recommendations page every time I start it, but I guess I need it for the firmware updates?

(I haven't tried to install it on the reader yet because I am out, and although I have my laptop and reader, I forgot the crucial cable that joins them together. )

I'm on OSX, by the way.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
If you want to load the book directly into ADE open the your library on the kobo website and hit the download button next to your book listing to download the epub version. The format downloaded through the desktop is a different format of epub, proprietary to kobo. Your ADE install shouldn't impact your Kobo Desktop, but as to what is wrong with it, perhaps someone else can help you.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Try logging out and back in to Desktop.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, a bit more experimentation suggests that it's trying to use the Contents to navigate to any part of the book that gives the error, while just stepping through the pages or using the slider works okay. It's compounded by the fact that I don't seem to be able to see or step past some of the covers (maybe due to screen size). Looks like it's probably just an issue with the built-in viewer.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Perhaps it is an issue with teh book itself? Call the help line and see if they can produce hte same error.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
DrNefario
Wizard

Looks like it might be all books. I'll be able to sync my Touch later today, and as long as they work on there I don't much care. I just wanted to look at the table of contents of this particular book, since it's an anthology.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
DrNefario
Wizard

Seems fine on the device. I guess it's a bug in the Desktop reader. Maybe a side effect of my odd screen resolution.