Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Misleading comment from an ebook store in Spain

The conversation was in spanish, so let me quote and later translate ...

Quote:
Kindle está pensado e ideado para que sus clientes solo puedan comprar en Amazon y no en otras tiendas.
Which means,

"Kindle was designed in such a way that his clients can only buy from Amazon and not any other stores"

I tried to contain myself, as I needed his help to buy Cien Anos de Soledad from his site ... lol ... but finally gave up, GEO restrictions.

The book is available via another store in Spain, same publisher, but the site asks for bunch of weird info. that can only be provided if you certainly live there.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
JoCampo,

I wouldn't sweat the misleading marketing copy.

Do me a favor when you are browsing the Spanish stores and let me know if you ever run across an e-book edition of PARADISO by Lezame Lima. I've been looking for two years without success. Thanks.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
JoCampo,

I wouldn't sweat the misleading marketing copy.

Do me a favor when you are browsing the Spanish stores and let me know if you ever run across an e-book edition of PARADISO by Lezame Lima. I've been looking for two years without success. Thanks.
Well,

I barely visit or buy Latin books, even though that's my native language .... ... Gabo is the exception, as is one of my favorites writers.

I'm a geek, I read computer books. I also like self help books. I prefer those on English instead of Spanish.

However, I'll let you know if I find it online, legal I mean .... ;-)
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
There is a bookstore in my neighborhood that sells ebooks. They have a big sign in their window saying that they cannot sell ebooks for the Kindle, as they can't use the Kindle format, or some other such nonsense. I'll take a pic next time I walk past the window.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
There is a bookstore in my neighborhood that sells ebooks. They have a big sign in their window saying that they cannot sell ebooks for the Kindle, as they can't use the Kindle format, or some other such nonsense. I'll take a pic next time I walk past the window.
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Honestly. It pisses me off every time I walk past it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline

-- UPDATE --

The guy (or girl) hasn't used a name yet ... replied back. He actually was interested in knowing why and asked for details and online stores who sell DRM free books. He wasn't aware that you can also convert between formats.

My best guess is that they put a non technical people to reply emails? However, the site does not look like a rookie one. If they have an exclusive deal with Garcia Marquez is not a small publisher or company, that's for sure.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
It is released as an e-book today.
Avialble here

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 03-07-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Well,

I barely visit or buy Latin books, even though that's my native language
Latin is your native language?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An illegitimate child of the last pope, raised in the Vatican, perhaps?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
LOL
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My Dad used to speak and write Latin .... ...not me... and I am not kidding. He was going to be a priest and was raised in a place where they used to speak and write latin, even during mass.

Jokes apart, It's an expression Harry. Maybe it sounds weird in English or a bad translation from me perhaps? We use it when talking about countries that speak Spanish as 1st or native language, like ...

"Me gusta la musica latina" ... I like latin music

instead

"Me gusta la musica en Espanol" ... I like music in Spanish

Last edited by jocampo; 03-07-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
It is released as an e-book today.
Avialble here
Same site!

Just tried, for fun. You won't be able to buy it. It asked for weird stuff like a local identification card number and type of reader with its serial number or something like that.

The site has been designed to NOT sell outside of Spain or, at least, not to USA customers. His customer support redirected me to amazon.es
Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, you don't use that expression... if you're Spanish , you use the second one if you're not talking about some specific music

Anyway, I don't know if you're asking perhaps at a shop as cyberdark o something like that. But, if this shocks you, it really shows that you don't read Spanish press or visit Spanish ebooks store. Smashwords doesn't exist. There're very, very few shops with DRM-free books.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 03-07-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The local identification number is probably a PID, it is required for the DRM attached to the book. You can read more about it by doing a search for PID in the Kindle forum.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote