Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
w1ksz
Connoisseur
w1ksz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket EdGe
Link PE To Home Network

Has anyone linked their PE to their Home Network ? I would think it would
enable file transfers to be done faster.

Just thinking (bad sign !!).

Thanks,

rs
w1ksz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ksz View Post
Has anyone linked their PE to their Home Network ? I would think it would
enable file transfers to be done faster.

Just thinking (bad sign !!).

Thanks,

rs

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but give this a try:

How to transfer files from PC to eDGe using wireless:

Create a Shared Folder on the PC

Make sure your Firewall is Set for Sharing

Open ES File Explorer

In the Upper Left Hand Corner touch Local

Select LAN

Press the Menu Button and select New and Scan

All PCs on the LAN should pop up. Select the appropriate PC and download files from shared folder on PC to Edge. Much easier than using USB cable.

Long press the file you want to copy and select Copy or you can use multi-select to copy multiple files. Just long press the last file selected to bring up options.

Select Local and the Folder where you want to copy the file to.

Use the Swipe Bar at the Bottom of the Screen and long press the File and select Paste or Paste All.

Note: If the file is an App the eDGe will automatically download and install it without having to Copy and Paste.

Last edited by obsessed2; 10-11-2011 at 02:25 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
There is an app called WiFi File Explorer that lets the eDGe serve up its directory as a web page to other machines on your network. I picked up the PRO version on a Free App Of The Day, so I'm not sure about the differences between it and the free (non-pro) version.

(linky clicky appstore goodness)

AH. More info from the app's page:
"Once your phone is connected to the Wi-Fi network, it's easy to go to the computer (which must also be connected to the network) and access the Web address. You'll find that your phone's files are there to be browsed, downloaded, or even streamed whenever you wish.

In this PRO version, you can also upload, sync, delete, copy, and zip or unzip all the files on your Android phone and computer, which makes it a great overall file manager.

A free version of this app, simply called WiFi File Explorer, is available as well. It offers similar but less robust features."

Last edited by johnseeking; 10-11-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: brain fart
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseeking View Post
There is an app called WiFi File Explorer that lets the eDGe serve up its directory as a web page to other machines on your network. I picked up the PRO version on a Free App Of The Day, so I'm not sure about the differences between it and the free (non-pro) version.

(linky clicky appstore goodness)

AH. More info from the app's page:
"Once your phone is connected to the Wi-Fi network, it's easy to go to the computer (which must also be connected to the network) and access the Web address. You'll find that your phone's files are there to be browsed, downloaded, or even streamed whenever you wish.

In this PRO version, you can also upload, sync, delete, copy, and zip or unzip all the files on your Android phone and computer, which makes it a great overall file manager.

A free version of this app, simply called WiFi File Explorer, is available as well. It offers similar but less robust features."

That's a nice App. I would like to point out that you have to Exit the App once you are done using it otherwise it could interfere with screen saving etc. (MENU --> Exit). More specifically from the App description: PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.

Strangely, the free version did not show up for me when using the search function using the Amazon Store App on the eDGe. Only the Pro version was listed. Here's a link to the latest free version:

http://slideme.org/application/wifi-file-explorer

Here's a link to an older Pro version:

http://www.4shared.com/file/YzfX5_XZ...r_PRO_136.html

Last edited by obsessed2; 10-11-2011 at 02:41 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
I can add that if you have an FTP server on your network you can use ES File explorer to transfer files to and from the EE and PE.

Also, if you have enabled file sharing on the computers, you can use the 'lan' tab to see those shares - if you don't see any shares use new --> scan and they should show up.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert