Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
E-Readers In The Sauna?

That thread Care started about reading at the beach got me thinking about this. I used to workout at the gym and then spend some time in the sauna before hitting the showers. One thing I found out about a sauna is that books like paperbacks without sewn pages will start to come undone as the glue begins to melt if you take them into a sauna where it's typically at least a 140 degrees. Has anyone tried taking their e-reader into a sauna? I'm wondering if that dry heat will damage them?
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Most electronic devices have a specification for maximum operating temperature and humidity - typically the maximum temp is around 35-40C. I imagine a sauna would probably exceed that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

That's what I'm thinking too. But not being a rich man, I'm too cowardly to test the theory.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Stick to newspapers in the sauna. They don't have any glue, and you won't fry their electronics.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
IMHO you would have to be nuts to contemplate taking an ereader into somewhere that hot and humid
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Ransom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
IMHO you would have to be nuts to contemplate taking an ereader into somewhere that hot and humid
Well, I was thinking of borrowing yours.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I think it would be nice to read your Kindle in the sauna. That way, when they find your dead body they can say, "Oh, look, he was reading Little Women.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Years ago, I was asked to make a timer for a friend with a sauna - the idea was that he could set it for however long he wanted to have the session be & it would count down to zero. Before I made it, I did a simple test - brought a LED connected to a battery into the sauna - it lasted about 2 minutes & died from the heat. My ultimate solution was to put the electronics outside & use an incandescent numeric display inside.

From that experience, I'd speculate that an ebook in a sauna might last about 5-10 minutes...

Rich
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
Ransom
Banned

"Oh, look, he was reading Little Women."

Ouch!

"...brought a LED connected to a battery into the sauna - it lasted about 2 minutes & died from the heat."

So I guess my lighted case is out of the question.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Honestly, that would never occur to me, but now I'm sure I won't be taking my ereader into my sauna... unless I set it at 80 degrees (in which case I might as well just hang out outside and read...)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
At the gym I go to, one person keeps bringing in a K2 in a ziploc bag. She has been doing it for weeks now, every day, and it seems to work. At first I thought she would be soon disappointed - I figured it would have to fail. Yet, so far, nothing has happened to it. She does say that page turn slow down in there - we both wondered whether the heat is doing that - but the device goes back to normal when it cools down.

I am tempted to try with my old PRS900 - as I don't use it anymore very often. It's my beach/pool reader, the one I don't mind mistreating.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
Tomsk
Womble
Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHDX8.9, Fujitsu S1300, Voyage, K7
I don't go in saunas, but here's an idea for a brave e-reader owner - water cooled e-reader.

Two different sized zip-loc bags, the smaller one large enough for the e-reader.
Seal the e-reader in the smaller bag.
Place the combination inside the larger bag.
Top up the larger bag with (ice)cold water and seal.
Job done!
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Hmmmm...very interesting! Would this help with preventing condensation and such?

Any takers? Brave volunteers?
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
tester

As someone who worked in QA and did extreme climate testing on a electronic devices at one time, hot and humid is usually one of the fastest ways to kill electronics. They do not like it at all, though small doses of it are normally not too damaging.

I guess you could talk to someone in the South East of the US who has left their ereader in the car during the summer? That might get up to sauna temperatures.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
Jeff Rivera
Jeff Rivera began at the beginning.

Device: none
I would be afraid to take any electronic device into a sauna for all the reasons mentioned above. I would stick to magazines/newspapers/books that you don't mind getting ruined while there.
Jeff Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-reader, heat damage, sauna