Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-26-2023, 08:34 PM   #91
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
Still excited for this device. I popped by my local B&N and they finally have the leaked signage about “what NOOK is right for you?” up. Though their NOOK section is shoved to the corner of their store that gets absolutely zero traffic ��
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:06 PM   #92
Lunar Ronin
Lunar Ronin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I received an e-mail message from Barnes & Noble yesterday that the Nook Glowlight 4 Plus cover I ordered shipped, and I just received an e-mail message about ten minutes ago that my Nook Glowlight 4 Plus itself shipped. According to the tracking number provided, it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow!
Lunar Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2023, 09:25 PM   #93
The_Enobee
The_Enobee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ronin View Post
I received an e-mail message from Barnes & Noble yesterday that the Nook Glowlight 4 Plus cover I ordered shipped, and I just received an e-mail message about ten minutes ago that my Nook Glowlight 4 Plus itself shipped. According to the tracking number provided, it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow!
Nice! I also received shipping notice for the my pre-ordered Glowlight 4 Plus. No ETA yet, but that's awesome yours is arriving so soon!
The_Enobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:05 PM   #94
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I, too, received my notification! Paid for expedited shipping so we'll see. Traveling this weekend so it would be wonderful to take this along!
Old 08-30-2023, 10:33 AM   #95
The_Enobee
The_Enobee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianbk View Post
I, too, received my notification! Paid for expedited shipping so we'll see. Traveling this weekend so it would be wonderful to take this along!
Fingers crossed! My ETA now shows 9/5, but that's with standard shipping.
The_Enobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2023, 06:51 PM   #96
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I kind of wish I pre ordered knowing it shipped early but I decided to buy the KOBO ellipsa 2E instead.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:58 PM   #97
christianbk
Connoisseur

Received it today! Pretty nice upgrade. Feels as snappy as the GlowLight 4 but I wouldn’t say much more than that. The back still has the soft touch finish, which I like a lot. Page turn buttons are much quieter now, which is appreciated.

New screensaver images which is a nice surprise.

No issues with the “n” button. Rest your finger on it for a second and wait and it’ll work as intended.

It’s a fair amount heavy. Guessing it’s due to the glass.

No comment about battery life yet. Will be reading tonight and seeing how it fares.

Will also look at the space partitioning later.

ONLY problem? I have a stuck pixel. Noooo! I’m going to ask for an exchange once my local shop gets them in stock.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:34 PM   #98
christianbk
Connoisseur

About storage:

I plugged it into a computer and can’t comment on the 5 gigs of sideloaded content restriction. When plugging in, the NOOK did not show a USB mode connection menu. I tried both a Windows machine without Calibre installed and a Mac machine that has my library on Calibre. The Windows machine did show it has 27.1 gigs available for the disk drive (my NOOK shows 29.15 total).
Old 09-01-2023, 07:54 AM   #99
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle
Quote:
About storage:

I plugged it into a computer and can’t comment on the 5 gigs of sideloaded content restriction. When plugging in, the NOOK did not show a USB mode connection menu. I tried both a Windows machine without Calibre installed and a Mac machine that has my library on Calibre. The Windows machine did show it has 27.1 gigs available for the disk drive (my NOOK shows 29.15 total).
You answered the biggest question out there! Thank you! I am interested if the NOOK appears when you connect to your Mac and open up Adobe Digital Editions (if you have it installed, of course) or if you open up Android File Transfer (if you have it installed, of course).
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:04 AM   #100
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
It wouldn't surprise me if the USB mode connection menu was tucked away in an unlikely place in the firmware. B&N has been known to do that!

My local B&N stores say they have it in stock (according to the B&N website). Hmmm....
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:16 AM   #101
christianbk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post
You answered the biggest question out there! Thank you! I am interested if the NOOK appears when you connect to your Mac and open up Adobe Digital Editions (if you have it installed, of course) or if you open up Android File Transfer (if you have it installed, of course).
I don’t have either of those installed. I’ll look into installing though and let you know.

Another thing - when I plug in my NOOK GlowLight 4, USB mode pops on for both Windows and Mac. On Windows, it shows 4.95 gigs available. So it appears like the restriction isn’t on there but again, USB mode behavior isn’t working properly so can’t confirm.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:30 AM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Received it today! Pretty nice upgrade. Feels as snappy as the GlowLight 4 but I wouldn’t say much more than that. The back still has the soft touch finish, which I like a lot. Page turn buttons are much quieter now, which is appreciated.

New screensaver images which is a nice surprise.

No issues with the “n” button. Rest your finger on it for a second and wait and it’ll work as intended.

It’s a fair amount heavy. Guessing it’s due to the glass.

No comment about battery life yet. Will be reading tonight and seeing how it fares.

Will also look at the space partitioning later.

ONLY problem? I have a stuck pixel. Noooo! I’m going to ask for an exchange once my local shop gets them in stock.
Is it partitioned?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:57 AM   #103
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The Windows machine did show it has 27.1 gigs available for the disk drive (my NOOK shows 29.15 total).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is it partitioned?
Looking at @christianbk's message showing 27.1GB available under Windows, I would say the answer is that it is not partitioned.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 01:11 PM   #104
christianbk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at @christianbk's message showing 27.1GB available under Windows, I would say the answer is that it is not partitioned.
Correct. I'll reiterate that USB mode turns on for the NOOK GlowLight 4 but the USB mode does not turn on for the new GlowLight 4 Plus.

I'm attaching two photos I took just now showing the GL4 and the GL4Plus hooked up to my computer:
- GlowLight 4 Plus: USB mode doesn't show on the device. Windows shows 27.1 total GB for the device.
- GlowLight 4: USB mode shows on the device. Shows 4.73 total GB for the device.

One caveat here: Windows treats each device differently. That's why I'm showing Windows Explorer. But it's a positive impressions, regardless, that Windows does show that much free space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 10.07.01 AM.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	574.2 KB
ID:	203485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 10.07.27 AM.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	203486  
Old 09-01-2023, 01:12 PM   #105
christianbk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post
Adobe Digital Editions on Mac does not show the device. It did show when I hooked up the GlowLight 4 (not Plus). Assuming it's due to the USB mode not firing on the device. I've tried multiple cables as well.