Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #76
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
$3.98 Audiobook How Paris Became Paris; Get the Ebook Free!

Well, that's one way of looking at it. There's a fantastic deal right now for the Kindle ebook and audiobook How Paris Became Paris: The Invention of the Modern City, by Joan DeJean. If you buy the ebook, for $1.99, you can get the audiobook for $1.99--total just $3.98!

And this will be the Whispersync version, with its advantages over the ordinary Audible audiobook--most significant of which would have to be the syncing-with-the-ebook feature.

The ebook is rated 4 1/2 stars, from 82 reviews at the present moment; the audiobook is rated 3.70, from 21 ratings at the present moment. The ebook is 320 pages; the audiobook is just over 8 hours in playing time. The narrator, for those of you who are in the know about the merits and demerits of various ones, is Robert Blumenfeld.

Here's the book description, from Amazon:
At the beginning of the seventeenth century, Paris was known for isolated monuments but had not yet put its brand on urban space. Like other European cities, it was still emerging from its medieval past. But in a mere century Paris would be transformed into the modern and mythic city we know today.

Though most people associate the signature characteristics of Paris with the public works of the nineteenth century, Joan DeJean demonstrates that the Parisian model for urban space was in fact invented two centuries earlier, when the first complete design for the French capital was drawn up and implemented. As a result, Paris saw many changes. It became the first city to tear down its fortifications, inviting people in rather than keeping them out. Parisian urban planning showcased new kinds of streets, including the original boulevard, as well as public parks and the earliest sidewalks and bridges without houses. Venues opened for urban entertainment of all kinds, from opera and ballet to a pastime invented in Paris, recreational shopping. Parisians enjoyed the earliest public transportation and street lighting, and Paris became Europe's first great walking city.

A century of planned development made Paris both beautiful and exciting. It gave people reasons to be out in public as never before and as nowhere else. And it gave Paris its modern identity as a place that people dreamed of seeing. By 1700, Paris had become the capital that would revolutionize our conception of the city and of urban life.

To get the deal, start here, at the webpage for the book at Amazon. For some reason I did not see the usual link for the Whispersync companion, but you can find one that works in the "formats" box on the lefthand side of the webpage.

Happy listening (and reading!).

Paris est très magnifique!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-18-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #77
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I took screenshots of the audible sale web pages, and I've posted them to a public album here on Google+. You can sorta zoom, and you can download the pics and see all of the titles that are in the sale. There are 5 pics in the album, one for each category.

Anybody know why Flickr took away the ability to see different sizes of images on the website? I posted these there first, and I was so frustrated that I couldn't view the full size image. Then I posted them to Amazon Prime, and that seems to be set up the same way.
Thank you!
Advert
Old 01-18-2015, 11:52 PM   #78
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Well, that's one way of looking at it. There's a fantastic deal right now for the Kindle ebook and audiobook How Paris Became Paris: The Invention of the Modern City, by Joan DeJean. If you buy the ebook, for $1.99, you can get the audiobook for $1.99--total just $3.98!

Happy listening (and reading!).

Paris est très magnifique!
I wonder if the book has images. Did you get the book GtrsRGr8?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Downpour Deal of the Week -- exp 25 Jan

If you own or borrow the Kindle book, you can get the Audible book for $3.99.

Quote:
Winner of the 1960 Hugo Award for Best Novel

One of Modern Library's 100 Best English-Language Novels of the Twentieth Century

In one of Heinlein’s most controversial bestsellers, a recruit in a future world is sent through the toughest boot camp in the Universe to join the Terran Mobile Infantry in battle against mankind’s most alarming enemy.

Juan Rico signed up with the Federal Reserve on a lark, but despite the hardships and rigorous training, he finds himself determined to make it as a cap trooper. In boot camp he learns how to become a soldier, but it is in war that he will learn why.

Many consider this Hugo Award–winning book to be Heinlein’s best. Forget the battle scenes and the high-tech weapons; this is Heinlein in his element, talking people and politics.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #80
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
From ChristianAudio.com

"As the nation honors Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. today, we are called to remember his heroic actions and struggle. One of the key writings was his letter written from jail in April of 1963. We are pleased to offer this as a free download until Jan 21st, 2015."

link

Note: As a reminder, this was offered as a freebie both from ChristianAudio and from Sync in 2013, so this may already be in your collection.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
Advert
Old 01-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #81
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
I wonder if the book has images. Did you get the book GtrsRGr8?
KyBunnies, I don't want you to think that I ignored you. I wrote and posted successfully, I thought, a reply to you last night. When I logged on a little while ago, for some reason I didn't see it and couldn't find it.

Anyway, I did buy the book. Kindle Cloud Player is the only thing that I can use right now. The book does have images. The images do appear using the KC program, and are rendered well (sharp, not too small, etc.).

If this post disappears, I'm going to assume that TubeMonkey did it. ha
Old 01-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #82
Athens80
Connoisseur
Athens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Downpour Deal of the Week -- exp 25 Jan
Quote:
Winner of the 1960 Hugo Award for Best Novel

One of Modern Library's 100 Best English-Language Novels of the Twentieth Century....
Downpour's blurb that they had a deal on one of the 100 best English novels of the 20th century attracted my attention.

It turns out that Starship Troopers appears in the top 100 only on the list generated by an online internet poll conducted in 1998.

You can read the internet poll's top 100 results here. To give you a taste of the 1998 online voters' sentiments, here are the novels selected as the top 10 of the 20th century:
  1. ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand
  2. THE FOUNTAINHEAD by Ayn Rand
  3. BATTLEFIELD EARTH by L. Ron Hubbard
  4. THE LORD OF THE RINGS by J.R.R. Tolkien
  5. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee
  6. 1984 by George Orwell
  7. ANTHEM by Ayn Rand
  8. WE THE LIVING by Ayn Rand
  9. MISSION EARTH by L. Ron Hubbard
  10. FEAR by L. Ron Hubbard
Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #83
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
KyBunnies, I don't want you to think that I ignored you. I wrote and posted successfully, I thought, a reply to you last night. When I logged on a little while ago, for some reason I didn't see it and couldn't find it.

Anyway, I did buy the book. Kindle Cloud Player is the only thing that I can use right now. The book does have images. The images do appear using the KC program, and are rendered well (sharp, not too small, etc.).

lol not tubemonkey it is internet gremlins

Thanks GtrsRGr8

I will have to download this during my free bandwidth time.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:25 PM   #84
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Hmmm . . . there's another post of mine from last night that's gone now. It's not even on a thread that TubeMonkey frequents. This is getting stranger and stranger . . . .
Old 01-20-2015, 12:58 AM   #85
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Hmmm . . . there's another post of mine from last night that's gone now. It's not even on a thread that TubeMonkey frequents. This is getting stranger and stranger . . . .
Maybe you dreamed you posted it.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:37 AM   #86
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Maybe you dreamed you posted it.
Okay, so far we've got three suggestions:
1. TubeMonkey.
2. Internet gremlins.
3. I never made any posts, I just dreamt it.

Any other suggestions before we close the balloting?

The person with the best suggestion will win a special prize.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:44 AM   #87
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Well you most likely did type it BUT You most likely didn't hit the Post Quick Reply but thought u did.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:48 AM   #88
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well you most likely did type it BUT You most likely didn't hit the Post Quick Reply but thought u did.
Suggestion #4:1
I did type it but I didn't hit the "Post Quick Reply" (but thought that I did).

Other suggestions from anyone? Anyone? Remember that you've got to submit a suggestion in order to be eligible for the special prize!

Balloting will end . . . well, whenever I get tired of this and want it to end. Or whenever one of the moderators decides to pull the plug.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-20-2015 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:56 AM   #89
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

My bunnies logged in to an admin account and deleted your post because you did not provide them with treat (carrots, grapes, raisins, bananas, mango, papaya, apples, star fruit, cherries, pear, peaches, plum, kiwi, blueberries, raspberries, watermelon, currants, apricots, just to name a few)

They are waiting and if you do not provide treats soon they will chew all the cords/cables in your house. After that they will move on to your clothing, furniture, baseboards, and them leave little black gold balls in your bed while you sleep

Old 01-20-2015, 03:52 AM   #90
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Naw, my cat did it. Well. She boight a book from Amazon once, so she must be able to read.
Closed Thread