Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-15-2023, 06:43 AM   #31
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Say what? Why would any device lack any of the four orientations?
Look at the symmetry.
The wide side is usually down.
In my eyes, Tab X in the cover (set up) looks inharmonious and therefore strange - top, bottom, stale edge on the left, wide on the right.
Of course, this has nothing to do with how it works
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:30 AM   #32
rexbanner
rexbanner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
As far as your update goes, I believe this is the first incremental update from Onyx.
That's presuming that the small size is not because of an aborted download.
Did you decrypt it before you tried to do anything with it?
Did you manually put the strings in DeBooxUpd.py?
Could you do a listing of the decrypted version?
It should only be 20 lines or so.
Code:
C:\>7zip l update.zip
If you can find the "META-INF/google/android/updater-script" and "update-binary" please extract and post just those files.
Yes, I did put the string in the python file and then decrypted the Update.upx. The files in the update.zip are as follows:
Code:
Path = ultra/20230113/update.zip
Type = zip
Physical Size = 184667395
Comment = signed by SignApk

Date      Time    Attr         Size   Compressed  Name
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2009-01-01 00:00:00 .....          579          579  META-INF/com/android/metadata
2009-01-01 00:00:00 .....    184663454    184663454  payload.bin
2009-01-01 00:00:00 .....          155          155  payload_properties.txt
2009-01-01 00:00:00 .....         1464         1042  META-INF/com/android/otacert
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2009-01-01 00:00:00          184665652    184665230  4 files
It seems like there is neither an updater-script nor binary in the zip.

Besides the slow folder listing, I had some other problems with the stylus calibration, and the support asked me to do a factory reset, which I did. But even after the factory reset I am not able to install the update...

Regarding the Tab X, it's also missing the fingerprint scanner, which I find quite useful on the Tab Ultra, especially if it is to be used as a regular tablet.
rexbanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2023, 07:59 AM   #33
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Look at the symmetry.
Who cares. I might want to use my device in a different way.
With other devices I use to run them "updside down" so that the USB cable came out the top so that the bottom edge could sit flat on a table.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:49 AM   #34
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Who cares. I might want to use my device in a different way.
With other devices I use to run them "updside down" so that the USB cable came out the top so that the bottom edge could sit flat on a table.
Of course, practice comes before aesthetics - but I want both with a not exactly cheap device.
The Tab Ultra can also be used in portait mode - just a bit more complicated with the associated keyboard; Incidentally, such PogoPin connections are also missing on the Tab X.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:09 AM   #35
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
The files in the update.zip are as follows:
There are two possibilities:
  • Onyx forgot to put those two files in
  • There's a brand new style of update.zip just to piss us off
I believe that it's the first. But I could be wrong.
Advert
Old 01-15-2023, 12:55 PM   #36
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
Tab Ultra, especially if it is to be used as a regular tablet.
Interestingly, after turning on Location Services, my Tab Ultra here sees the position of 30 satellites but not their signal strength, while Leaf 2 sees 10 satellites with signal strength but not their posotion.
In this regard, there is a message to Boox
Old 01-15-2023, 01:14 PM   #37
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Interestingly, after turning on Location Services, my Tab Ultra here sees the position of 30 satellites but not their signal strength, while Leaf 2 sees 10 satellites with signal strength but not their position.
Say what? My Poke3 doesn't have working GPS.
Qualcomm has it built into most of their chips but I don't think that Onyx put in any antennas for it.
Can you get an actual fix?
Old 01-15-2023, 01:54 PM   #38
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Say what? My Poke3 doesn't have working GPS.
Qualcomm has it built into most of their chips but I don't think that Onyx put in any antennas for it.
However, if position or strength can be displayed then the corresponding reception units including antennas must be available.
They are not in the Note Air, Leaf, Poke 3, Nova 2 and Poke 2 - an error message appears
Quote:
Can you get an actual fix?
I hope.
Tab Ultra shows this and nothing when Touching "No Fix"
Leaf 2 shows here nothing - but when "No Fix" it shows the strenght of 10 sats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230115-193820.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	199050  
Old 01-15-2023, 02:02 PM   #39
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
I hope.
No, you've got nothing.
Possibly there is a u.FL connector in your device.
If so, you could stick a little antenna in your device.
If they didn't even bring the trace out from the Qualcomm chip, fat chance.
Old 01-15-2023, 02:32 PM   #40
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
No, you've got nothing.
Your right - these were A-GPS Values
Old 01-15-2023, 02:42 PM   #41
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Your right - these were A-GPS Values
Which is very stupid and unfortunate.
For years many OEMs didn't implement USB OTG (host mode) despite the SOC itself supporting it.
They had the attitude, "Well, why would anybody want that?"
Onyx is a premium priced device. A crappy GPS antenna (not a ceramic one) costs pennies. Why didn't they put it in? I'm sure some professionals like archeologists or botanists or environmentalists might be using an expensive Eink device in the field.