Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be getting the new Kindle Oasis?
Definitely yes 63 18.16%
Probably yes 21 6.05%
Maybe 59 17.00%
No, nada, never 204 58.79%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #31
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I voted no, never, not at that price. I still have my Kindle Touch and I can read just fine on my phone too. At the price Amazon is asking, most people would probably just opt for a tablet instead.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:29 PM   #32
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Yep, already ordered. Pricey? Yes. Being able to hold a e-reader for long periods of time without cramps and pain? Priceless.

I have missed the shape of the K1 since 2010 when I replaced it with the K3.

I just want to read. I want to read and let the device go away so I can go into the story. Its that important to me to read.

Helps to have gift cards and credit card points.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #33
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'd go with probably not, if that were an option. My Voyage is in good shape, and frankly I use it mostly at night in bed, when the origami cover props it up nicely when I lay on my side to read.

When I'm reading during the day, I tend to use my iPad Pro more, I really like the large backlit screen.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:30 PM   #34
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
... I am developing arthritis issues, and fingertip sensitivity issues, and lots of health issues .... so ergonomics is a huge draw ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Yep, already ordered. Pricey? Yes. Being able to hold a e-reader for long periods of time without cramps and pain? Priceless ...
Yes. This is exactly why I'm tempted.

Last edited by odamizu; 04-14-2016 at 01:38 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #35
danachee
danachee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, Paperwhite 1, Voyage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I'd go with probably not, if that were an option. My Voyage is in good shape, and frankly I use it mostly at night in bed, when the origami cover props it up nicely when I lay on my side to read.
Yep, that's how I use my voyage as well. Maybe down the line they'll sell it naked and an origami cover will come along. But until then, its cool looking but doesn't appear to work with my reading flow very well.
danachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2016, 12:40 AM   #36
photon17
Enthusiast
photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Too many
I will probably buy one. I like page turn buttons. But I will wait until some more reviews come out. Hopefully some brick and mortar stores will stock them so I can see it in person.
photon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:11 AM   #37
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
It looks like the cover will fold back forming a "tent" shape and prop the same as covers pre-origami.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:52 AM   #38
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
No for me.
I wanna buy a practical ebook reader more than a fancy one. Good to have something new in the market, but it is just not for me.

By the way, why do the people love the page turn buttons?

Last edited by 344a; 04-14-2016 at 01:56 AM.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:13 AM   #39
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Maybe. At the moment I'm very happy with my Paperwhite 2, if something happens to it I most likely will be getting the latest Paperwhite and if I wanted to splurge I would go for a Voyage with the origami case. At first glance I don't like the design of the Oasis, but that might change after reading user reviews.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:23 AM   #40
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Hmm. Doesn't look good for the new Kindle in my opinion. At first glance, 25% of a population is quite a significant number but then when you consider that almost everyone who is a Mobileread.com member is an inveterate ebook reader it's not nearly so impressive. If only 25% of the hardest of the hardcore want it then what percentage of the general public would be willing to pony up $300 for a black and white screen that only does one thing really well?

Last edited by Canuck_in_Japan; 04-14-2016 at 03:26 AM.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:30 AM   #41
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post

Probably for the same reason why here in Japan some people still use squat toilets when, really, we have toilets with seats now. In other words, I don't know.
There are a few good reasons I suppose, like eating and reading and other people have mentioned health conditions like arthritis. Also, some people don't like change. I could go either way. If Sony released a Carta version of their 650 reader with LED front lighting I would buy that up in a second!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:43 AM   #42
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post

I still miss them from the K3. I just find them more efficient really. With the touchscreen, your thumb has to move from the bezel to the screen and then back to the bezel; with page turn buttons, your thumb rests on the bezel all the time and you just press to turn the page.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #43
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I don't see as "no, unless I win the lottery" selection in the poll. Sure, I'd love to have one, but I still read happily on my Kindle Keyboards (4 repaired that were discarded by friends). Oh, and I was recently given a DX. I usually read sitting on a stool with my Kindle on a desk or tabletop, supported by a stand or by its own cover folded back, so weight is not much of an issue for me. Even a Kindle 3 is much easier to hold than a paper book. But I'd like to have an Oasis. Looks great.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #44
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I voted for NO!

You see, this is not about price. At least no price alone.
I have paid much more (in comparison to my income) for the first Sony reader.
I have paid comparable price for a PocketBook 360 back in its day. Please note that it had similar asymetrical design.

Today, the situation is different. Back then this was the price you needed to pay if you wanted to have a good e-ink reader. Nowadays you can purchase front-lit high-res e-ink reader for a fraction of the Oasis price.

So, why am I not planning to get Oasis:
The main reason is that I do not like the fact that it is much wider than other e-ink readers. I lug my reader with me everyvhere I go, so pocketability is a very important feature to me. And this will not fit into my jacket pocket.
The other big reason is that I do not like Kindle software - the limited choice of fonts, font sizes, wide margins, full justification, lack of hierarchical directories, automatic indexing of side-loaded books, ... . I did purchase the first Paperwhite, but sold it (at a loss) the moment other front-lit devices appeared on the market.
The limitations of software wouldn't be THAT bad, if Amazon wasn't so aggresive in patching all ways that enthusiasts use to get into the device to be able to configure it to our liking.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #45
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
Price is way too high for an e-reader. People complained about the Voyage price! Yes, I understand it includes a charging cover, but please, $300 for an e-reader? They need to offer this without the cover for maybe $140 or less to get my attention. Otherwise, I am perfectly happy with my Paperwhite.
The price will come down after they can't sell enough units.
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote