Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #346
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
Hmmm, I paid for one day shipping (I have Amz Prime) and it's still coming UPS. Maybe it has to do with the delivery location.

In any case, glad to hear yours in close by. Mine is too; right across the river, so there should be any probs with receiving it tomorrow!

I've just finished saying kind words to my K3, so it won't feel that I'm abandoning it.
I used mine last night. I tried holding it in only in my right hand but then I notice it's top heavy so I still have to use my left to turn pages. Right now it all depends on how well I like the K4 I may not get a touch because it is heavier and go for the T1 which is lighter and it would save me a step in converting my epubs.

I know what a 6oz reader weight feels like. My Pocket Pro is 6oz so I know I can handle it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #347
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Those ordering new Kindles I just went to buy a book and it didn't ask me which card to charge it to like it always did before as I had no default payment set and do not want one set.

It seems the card I use to order the last Kindle because my 1 click card! I guess should be glad it wasn't my prepay one which I used to pre-order the Touch.

I had to remove both cards to get it removed from the Default Payments on MYK page.

I haven't re enter them yet to see if goes back to the way it was. I can only hope because entering my card each time is a pain.
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #348
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Kindle Keyboard Display vs. New Kindle 4

There's an interesting blurb on Tom's Hardware comparing the Kindle Keyboard Display vs. Kindle 4:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...er,3040-3.html

I have a Kindle Touch on order but this article makes me wonder if any new Kindle 4 owners see a real difference.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #349
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
There's an interesting blurb on Tom's Hardware comparing the Kindle Keyboard Display vs. Kindle 4:

I have a Kindle Touch on order but this article makes me wonder if any new Kindle 4 owners see a real difference.
Slightly ironic given the posts we've had here saying that some people think that the K4's screen is BETTER than that of the K3.

Personally, I'd attribute this to nothing more than the considerable variation that occurs from one eInk panel to another.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #350
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post

If what he says is true not good.
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #351
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Slightly ironic given the posts we've had here saying that some people think that the K4's screen is BETTER than that of the K3.

Personally, I'd attribute this to nothing more than the considerable variation that occurs from one eInk panel to another.
I'd say its just variation screen to screen. My brother in law's Nook touch used the same display and I thought my K3 looked better. Then my new Kindle arrived and I can't really tell any difference from my K3.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #352
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I'd say its just variation screen to screen. My brother in law's Nook touch used the same display and I thought my K3 looked better. Then my new Kindle arrived and I can't really tell any difference from my K3.
I guess Wednesday I will find out! I did notice the K4 tested seem to have issues if you look in the side by side pic there is an odd line on the side of the screen on the K4. It just maybe a lemon they got and they need to test more then one.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #353
jswinden
Nameless Being

Didn't read his article word for word, but as a matter of argument the K3 refreshes EVERY page turn whereas the K4 comes defaulted to refresh after a few page turns. That can make a big difference between displayed screens even on the same K4. To test it where it is apples to apples, he needs to install FW 4.0.1 on the K4 and set the page refresh to EVERY page. Otherwise his tests are skewed and totally meaningless.

EDIT: I went back and read the article thoroughly and he never mentions the page refresh setting on the K4. I doubt he even thought about that setting. If anyone has a way to contact him they should pass this info to him.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #354
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Very interesting regardless which screen is better. I wasn't aware there were different grades of screen.

It's also next to impossible for us consumers to really tell if one has a better grade than the other. Even if we were to get 100 people here saying their K4 was better or worse than their K3 it wouldn't be useful data. I've noticed all over the internet that by and large people who have bought one product over another generally convince themselves that they've made the right decision, to the point where the actual facts don't matter.

My own tuppence on the matter is that if the screen really was a lower grade then there would be enough K4 owners saying it for it to sound more plausible. That and the person from E Ink corp. that Tom's spoke to possibly didn't really know the specifics and was grasping in the air. Perhaps they were guessing that the K3 used Pearl and the K4 used a different grade of screen with a different product name as an explanation.... and in reality there's always going to be slight differences between individual screens.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #355
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That article gets ridiculous when they say "Turning on our microscope...". I mean come on if you have to turn on a microscope to see a minuscule difference is the human eye going to detect it? Like I said I can't tell any difference in the screens. I love my Kindle 4 based on form factor and speed.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #356
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
That article gets ridiculous when they say "Turning on our microscope...". I mean come on if you have to turn on a microscope to see a minuscule difference is the human eye going to detect it? Like I said I can't tell any difference in the screens. I love my Kindle 4 based on form factor and speed.
A couple of years ago I took some macro photos of two different E Ink screens with my Canon dSLR. It is takes 15MB photos at 4752 x 3168 pixels. That would be way to large to show on a computer monitor, but if you crop it down and display it on a monitor at 100 percent size it looks like a magnified image. That is all he is doing. There is no darn microscope!

EDIT: Here is cropped 15MB photo showing a portion of my K4 screen. This was taken with a wide 18mm lens, so it isn't as close up as his were, and it isn't in good focus as I was too lazy to use a tripod. But you get the drift. The font is not the K4 default font, BTW. I sideloaded a bolder font.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-closeup.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	77276  

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #357
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I can't seem to find information on different reader shells. I very much like the hard metal shell my 650 Reader has, and I understand Sony are dropping that in the new model. What kind of shell are Kindles in now?
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #358
Zeebra
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
A couple of years ago I took some macro photos of two different E Ink screens with my Canon dSLR. It is takes 15MB photos at 4752 x 3168 pixels. That would be way to large to show on a computer monitor, but if you crop it down and display it on a monitor it looks like a magnified image. That is all he is doing. There is no darn microscope!

I know but its stupid none the less. If you have to zoom in and try and find some minuscule difference it could be just to screen variation from batch to batch. They're looking too hard.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #359
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Please!

These guys are taking things to an extreme.

I understand if they compare things that are easy to catch at bare eye. But using a microscope? Give me a break!

Also, this is by no means a scientific result. For that, you need to take a better sample (hundreds of Kindles), both generations and get an average.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #360
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Excellent point. Btw, how did you sideload a bolder font?
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote