Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My impression was that it had more to do with the sad state of the Canadian wireless (telecommunications) industry than with the book industry. Canada/Us are generally the same publishing territory (unless it's a UK author)
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Woohoo! I'm just so very very suprised that it took so long. Maybe the book licensing deals between US/Canada are so convoluted that it took a while to work everything out?
I wish publishers could just license ebooks internationally, I guess licensees in certain areas have massive hissy fits and threaten legal action at such a scenario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
My impression was that it had more to do with the sad state of the Canadian wireless (telecommunications) industry than with the book industry. Canada/Us are generally the same publishing territory (unless it's a UK author)
what ficbot said
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #18
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
THis is good news... A lot of people will like this! I'd like it if it had a back light. <Ducks and Runs>
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
THis is good news... A lot of people will like this! I'd like it if it had a back light. <Ducks and Runs>
Don't forget folders
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #20
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Wow. I always was so jealous of the Kindle and really regretted that it was not available in Canada. However, I was recently counselling a friend about buying an ebook reader and I told her to disregard the Shiny! New! Toy! vibe and really think about the features she wanted.
Huh huh...yeah...what are you talking about?

gulp

I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think 311$ is not that bad a price, but I'm a little worried about the impulse book buys that would invariably apply if I ever had a kindle.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #21
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Any idea who the carrier is?
I'm pretty sure it's Rogers. Only Rogers has such bad coverage in Newfoundland. The new Bell/Telus HSPA has much better coverage off the Avalon Penensula than the Kindle coverage map. Rogers doesn't even cover the Avalon!

So one more reason not get a Kindle :-)
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #22
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
Now I just have to figure out how to convert my old Mobipocket and eReader DRM'd books to Kindle format.
If you do figure it out, please let us know. As far as I know, there's no way to convert DRM'd Mobipockets, but I'd be glad to know if there was.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #23
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
I really like the fact that I can now not buy the Kindle on principle rather than availability
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:41 PM   #24
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I noticed the availability of the Kindle in Canada while reading the National Post newspaper online. They are offering their paper with a tagline stating "It's perfect for travelers and snowbirds". I am in China and when I clicked on the Amazon button, it said that it is not available for purchase in my region. Content providers really have to get their act together. This is tiresome.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, kindle