Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-23-2023, 03:13 AM   #16
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
On Amazon Japan with PW11, still getting AZW3.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 03:19 AM   #17
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Scribe, Libra Colour
This is awesome news!

For the record, I downloaded a freshly transferred personal doc to both my Oasis 3 and my Voyage; the Oasis got a KFX file, but unfortunately the Voyage received the standard AZW3 file.

This is in line with jhowell's observation of a software version cutoff - my Voyage is running firmware 5.13.6, which is the last version ever released for this device. My Oasis is on 5.16.2.1.1. I'm in Central Europe if that matters.

Last edited by BionicGecko; 09-23-2023 at 03:28 AM.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2023, 12:40 PM   #18
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Tried as an experiment the latest firmware for my kindle gen 10 . Still azw format. But least now it's up to date so when they do flip the switch it's ready. If not I'm sure I would have needed to update sometime
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
This is awesome news!

For the record, I downloaded a freshly transferred personal doc to both my Oasis 3 and my Voyage; the Oasis got a KFX file, but unfortunately the Voyage received the standard AZW3 file.

This is in line with jhowell's observation of a software version cutoff - my Voyage is running firmware 5.13.6, which is the last version ever released for this device. My Oasis is on 5.16.2.1.1. I'm in Central Europe if that matters.
It's not clear that older firmware (that supports KFX) cannot technically support personal document KFX.

You might try this: take the KFX download from your Oasis and side load it to your Voyage (do not copy the .sdr folder). I tested this on a couple of my Kindles (running 5.16.3; I don't have Kindles running earlier firmware) and the book syncs reading position and annotations, and in Library appears to be downloaded from cloud (has Permanently delete option).

If this works for you, then we may still hold out hope that the feature can be enabled for older firmware.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:47 AM   #20
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Scribe, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You might try this: take the KFX download from your Oasis and side load it to your Voyage (do not copy the .sdr folder). I tested this on a couple of my Kindles (running 5.16.3; I don't have Kindles running earlier firmware) and the book syncs reading position and annotations, and in Library appears to be downloaded from cloud (has Permanently delete option).

If this works for you, then we may still hold out hope that the feature can be enabled for older firmware.
I just tried and indeed it worked just as you described, i.e. the KFX file copied from the Oasis opens readily on the Voyage, syncing works, and the "Permanently delete" option is available.

This is quite interesting as I was under the impression that the DRM in KFX was device-specific; it's good to know that there is a way around the limitation. The question remains however as to why Amazon sends the KFX format only to Kindles with a certain firmware version or higher.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2023, 10:53 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Unlike azw3 which can be DRM free, Amazon KFX downloads of bought books always has DRM even if Publisher/Author requests DRM free.
Two kinds of Amazon KFX DRM:
1) Device specific, only device the file was meant for.
2) Any Amazon device / app that does KFX. This is what an ebook sale has if DRM free as azw3/KDP creation requested DRM free.

Hence documents retrieved as KFX sent via "Send to Kindle" can work on any Kindle, though they ought to be DRM free. Someone can no doubt try converting one back to epub to see if these are DRM free KFX.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 12:04 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

Hence documents retrieved as KFX sent via "Send to Kindle" can work on any Kindle, though they ought to be DRM free. Someone can no doubt try converting one back to epub to see if these are DRM free KFX.
They can be converted.

Calibre will not add KFX files directly from the device for some reason ('KFX is a virtual format' blah blah), but copy them to some other location, and it will add and convert them.

As to why Amazon has not enabled this for older firmware, we can only speculate.

It seems to me this change could have been made at any time after Send To Kindle service was capable of converting ePub to KFX (i.e. with launch of Scribe), but they waited almost 10 months to do it.

I assume KFX downloads are generated on demand, so to the extent that the conversion from ePub has improved over that time, delaying means they have spared users exposure to the issues that have been fixed. And perhaps now they'll move on to the next group of Kindles, which naturally would be a lower priority.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-24-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2023, 12:54 PM   #23
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question for those that got kfx documents. Is share enabled. (Share to goodreads etc) I'm hoping other models get added. But that may be few weeks to a month possibly. It took a while to get current epub to azw3 working. When send to kindle was first launched. Please everyone update this post as kfx gets enabled for you
Old 09-24-2023, 02:50 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2022 View Post
Question for those that got kfx documents. Is share enabled. (Share to goodreads etc) I'm hoping other models get added. But that may be few weeks to a month possibly. It took a while to get current epub to azw3 working. When send to kindle was first launched. Please everyone update this post as kfx gets enabled for you
No, personal documents do not share to Goodreads, KFX is no exception. You need to manage it 'manually' (which you can do on a Kindle, but you're better off doing this with something else, like the Goodreads app or web site).

Last edited by tomsem; 09-24-2023 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 02:00 AM   #25
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Unhappy Weird Behavior!

I tried today to send a few epub books as I always do to my Kindle library. It did not work. I was using Send to Kindle on my Mac. I got Amazon-not-help-email that either I was not connected to the net or the email address was not authorized OR I was not sending an approved format all of which they listed. No mobi but I expected that. I was shocked to also see that epub was not listed!So Sure enough none of my epubs would transfer via Send to Kindle. Tried a few different books. I examined the other listed formats were but did not see any I was very familiar with using, other than pdf and other things that would not preserve changeable fonts and widths. So I tried coverting to and using the docx file. That did work, sort of. It showed up in the main Kindle library and would download on my devices. And, sure enough, it was showing on those devices as a KFX file. But, but, but unfortunately it seems using DOCx will not wind up with a book cover just the generic icon. Is epub working for other Mac owners on the Send to Kindle program or Send-to-Kindle web interface? If so why might it have stopped for me? I am very confused to say the least! Thanks.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:56 AM   #26
jonathan2022
Connoisseur

i got message as well but epub was listed. took time to go on my kindle. everything else was fine
Old 09-25-2023, 04:09 AM   #27
jonathan2022
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I tried today to send a few epub books as I always do to my Kindle library. It did not work. I was using Send to Kindle on my Mac. I got Amazon-not-help-email that either I was not connected to the net or the email address was not authorized OR I was not sending an approved format all of which they listed. No mobi but I expected that. I was shocked to also see that epub was not listed!So Sure enough none of my epubs would transfer via Send to Kindle. Tried a few different books. I examined the other listed formats were but did not see any I was very familiar with using, other than pdf and other things that would not preserve changeable fonts and widths. So I tried coverting to and using the docx file. That did work, sort of. It showed up in the main Kindle library and would download on my devices. And, sure enough, it was showing on those devices as a KFX file. But, but, but unfortunately it seems using DOCx will not wind up with a book cover just the generic icon. Is epub working for other Mac owners on the Send to Kindle program or Send-to-Kindle web interface? If so why might it have stopped for me? I am very confused to say the least! Thanks.
I used the send to kindle web version. maybe its an automatic reminder that they will end support November 1st for mobi
Old 09-25-2023, 04:12 AM   #28
jonathan2022
Connoisseur

Dear Kindle Customer,

Thank you for using the Send to Kindle service to send your documents to your Kindle. This is a final reminder that on November 1, 2023, we will start winding down support for sending MOBI (.mobi, .azw, .prc) files through Send to Kindle. This change will impact sending MOBI files through Send to Kindle for Email, Kindle apps on iOS and Android, and Send to Kindle apps for Windows and Mac. We will end all Send to Kindle support for MOBI files by December 20, 2023. MOBI documents already in your Kindle library and other document formats will not be affected by this change.

MOBI is an older file format and does not support the latest Kindle features for documents. If you wish to enjoy our most up-to-date document features, please re-send files in a compatible format. EPUB (.epub) is one such compatible format, and you can send it to your library from the Send to Kindle web app.

If you have any questions, please visit our help page or contact our Customer Service team. By downloading or using Send to Kindle, you agree to the terms here.

Regards,
The Kindle team
Old 09-25-2023, 11:39 AM   #29
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
The email I got was as follows and seems to indicate epub is also a problem now:

Dear Kindle Customer,

The following document, sent by you at 04:11 AM on Mon, Sep 25, 2023 GMT , could not be delivered to the address you specified:

* Runaway Jury - Grisham_ John.epub

Send to Kindle supports the following document formats:
Adobe PDF (.pdf)
Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
Rich Text Format (.rtf)
HTML (.htm, .html)
Text (.txt) documents
JPEG (.jpg), GIF (.gif), Bitmap (.bmp), and PNG (.png) images

Additionally, Send to Kindle emails now supports EPUB (.epub). Later this year, we’ll also be adding EPUB support to the free Kindle app for iOS and Android devices and the Send to Kindle desktop app for PC and Mac.

If the format of the document that failed is supported (listed above), please ensure the document is not password protected or encrypted, and try sending it again.

You can learn more about sending personal documents to your Kindle in our product info pages: https://www.amazon.com/sendtokindle

If you would like immediate assistance, please contact customer support at +1-866-321-8851 (US customers) or +1-206-266-0927 (International customers).

Sincerely,
Amazon Kindle Support
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 12:39 PM   #30
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Maybe send to kindle requests are handled by multiple servers and not all servers are running the latest software.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote