Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #196
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I think what Taming posted is correct, (go to the kobo web site to mark all the recommendations as "not interested") I am not aware that you can do it in the desktop app.
Of course, you are right, this was a lapsus calami on my part.
Thanks for the correction.

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #197
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycholily View Post
Could someone please help me I have no idea what i'm doing XD
Try to copy all files but KoboRoot.tgz to the device .kobo directory first (in a batch or one by one depending what works), then KoboRoot.tgz.
The way I see it, it is the presence of the .tgz file on the .kobo directory that triggers the update. If all goes well, even if you get disconnected before you're done the other files should still be three when you reconnect which would allow to only upgrade once all the files are there.

Also, you do not need to factory reset, or load another version before re-installing 1.9.14 as the upgrade process will be triggered regardless of the version that's already installed.

But somehow your disconnection problem sounds more like a HW issue to me than anything else...

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #198
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
You might have a flakey USB cable / port combination

Can you try a different cable and / or a different port on your PC?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #199
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Just had a new problem (for me at least) with 1.9.16. The Kobo Touch deleted the book I was reading or at least it seemed to have as it was no longer the first book on my carousel and was not in my library so I sync and it downloaded the book again and I start reading and all seems well until I go to the next chapter and it takes me back to a chapter I have already read rather then going to next one (this is Game of Thrones 4 book bundle so finding my place again is a nightmare with no numbered chapters) so I use the table of contents to try and find my place again and every chapter is duplicated, what a mess, it seems like there are two copies of the same book on the device all mashed together.

I had to delete the book from the device and then fiddle around with the website copy of library, delete and undelete and do the same on the desktop app then sync multiple times, eventually got my book back on the kobo touch and it seems to be okay again now.

1.9.16 is a complete mess, if I have any further issues with this firmware I will be joining those who have gone back to 1.9.14.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #200
psycholily
psycholily began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
thanks frankieGom, that seemed to work and I got all the firmware files on there before it disconnected on me Now have the 1.9.14 firmware working, thank goodness! Still having the disconnect issue though...

I've tried different usb ports, but i don't have another cable. When it happens, the device shows up in my Computer but when i click on it, the directory seems to be completely empty.
If the disconnect happens while I'm using calibre, I get this error:

calibre, version 0.8.33
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

(2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 405, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 252, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1013, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 175, in free_space
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 133, in _windows_space
error: (2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

I do apologise for my noob-ness, and if this is in the wrong thread. I thought perhaps it was a firmware issue but maybe not...?
psycholily is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #201
QueenPepper
QueenPepper began at the beginning.

I updated to 1.9.16 yesterday; it seems like a complete mess. Like many others on this forum, I don't care for the new homepage (it's cluttered) or for the new opportunity for Kobo to advertise to us. But the real problems, at least on my unit, are the increased text ghosting and the (apparently) decreased sensitivity of the touch sensors. I found myself having to press harder than before to effect a page turn, and sometimes even so often had to press two or three times before the machine registered any input. Also, the menus seemed a little harder to control (as if the sensors had also grown less accurate). Finally -- though this is a small thing by comparison -- the new "synch" button in the corner of the homepage made the clock very hard to activate.

I've already returned to 1.9.14. I must say that the whole experience has somewhat shaken my confidence in Kobo; until now, their firmware development has been occasionally wonky, but always seemed headed in the right direction. They really need to bear in mind that what makes their reader stand out from the crowd is the simplicity and elegance of its user interface. If I wanted to be pecking at miniscule buttons all the time -- well, there are other (and cheaper) ereaders that would allow me to do that.
QueenPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #202
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
This is weird: My "Recommended for You" list consists of four books purchased from Kobo over six months ago, which had mysteriously disappeared from my Kobo purchase history page and desktop at some point (and for which I was glad I still had them on my Sony 350), and then mysteriously reappeared a month ago.

???

ETA: Apparently I got the first version of the 1.9.16 firmware. I'm going to wait it out until the next update, I think. Besides, I don't spend much time on the Home Page, anyway.

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 12-31-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: for the ETA. Ha.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #203
JimND
JimND began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi,
I helped my mother choose an ereader for my dad's Christmas present last month, He's over 80, but willing to learn. After reading various reviews I decided on the Kobo Touch, bought one, registered it, then updated it for him in mid-December. I checked how it worked, then got a load of books from gutenberg etc, and loaded them into calibre on his laptop. On Christmas day after he'd read the 'getting started' books on the Kobo, I installed some books for him. He's not on-line so I'd set the kobo up to use wifi at my house or my sister's.

On Xmas day, while taking them visiting, I showed him how to sync, and this update installed!

All of a sudden the front-page had changed, the user interface he was starting to learn
was changed, and he was getting 'recommended' books that he couldn't have downloaded at home if he'd wanted to! He's not interested in Facebook etc, or these 'reward' schemes, so he'd be happier if they could all be switched off. He also now has this double-tap bug mentioned in this thread!

I was aware of the points schemes, and hoped to find a way to switch them off, or make them less of a nuisance, but what clown decided to send an update which changed how it functioned, just before Christmas? I'm sure I wasn't the only one trying to guide someone in how to use the device, while only having the vaguest idea myself!

I eventually found I could set the lower screen to show favourites by myself, but wasn't sure if the double-tap was just me, the machine, or what until I read this thread.

I've downloaded the .14 version now, and I'll see if he wants to rollback. He'll probably be ok with .16, but the device has given a far worse first impression than it should have because of this.
JimND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #204
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
Just unzip the files from the archive into the .Kobo directory on your device, then eject it from the computer and it should instantly see the files and say "updating".

IE, your .Kobo folder will have whatever it already has in it (the Sqllite database, plus some other folders etc - in there goes KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum, and the "upgrade" folder...

Cheers
The REAL Joe
Isn't there an easier way to revert to the previous version? A simple .exe file to execute and it takes care of it all?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #205
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimND View Post
but what clown decided to send an update which changed how it functioned, just before Christmas?
Actually, before Christmas is the best time to do it. All the new users getting Kobos for Christmas would get the updated interface when they first registered/synced their devices, so they wouldn't be facing what the rest of us are facing now - an interface that has changed.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #206
GVC2031
Enthusiast
GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
Of course, you are right, this was a lapsus calami on my part.
Thanks for the correction.

François
Lapsus clavis, surely!
GVC2031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #207
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Isn't there an easier way to revert to the previous version? A simple .exe file to execute and it takes care of it all?
It's just like copying a file from your hard drive to a USB flash drive.

Alas, there is no easier way because people aren't supposed to upgrade/downgrade their Touch in this way.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #208
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
It's just like copying a file from your hard drive to a USB flash drive.

Alas, there is no easier way because people aren't supposed to upgrade/downgrade their Touch in this way.
hehe, when I read posts like the following - I don't think it's as easy as copying to a USB drive:

Try to copy all files but KoboRoot.tgz to the device .kobo directory first (in a batch or one by one depending what works), then KoboRoot.tgz.
The way I see it, it is the presence of the .tgz file on the .kobo directory that triggers the update. If all goes well, even if you get disconnected before you're done the other files should still be three when you reconnect which would allow to only upgrade once all the files are there.

Also it appears all the url's pointing to the previous version are not-found, so I was just looking for an easy fix.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #209
psycholily
psycholily began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Also it appears all the url's pointing to the previous version are not-found, so I was just looking for an easy fix.

ltr
This one posted earlier worked for me: https://rapidshare.com/files/3688687324/1914.rar

The password is mobileread

psycholily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #210
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDE View Post
I wish there was an option to enable/disable social networking features like the pesky facebook button. It annoys the hell out of me. Users should have the choice to participate in this stuff or not, and I personally made my choice not to use any social networking aka giving away personal information freely.

Thanks
In setting you can turn reading life off you know?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote