Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #151
aeoro
aeoro began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I'm looking for a novel I checked out from the library a few years back. It was about a kid who either is kidnapped or runs away from home and ends up in the care of a elves (not sure if they were elves) that live in the woods. They raise and care for him. I believe the cover had a tree on it if that helps any.

I don't remember much more about the story. I was younger and never finished it.

Thanks.

Last edited by aeoro; 09-08-2009 at 12:53 AM.
aeoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #152
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I'm looking for the title to a book I read from the mid-90's. It's a novel set in Australia about a young guy on the dole who has health problems. He gets a live-in girlfriend who also has medical problems and is a recovering heroin addict. At some point in the book they both get genital warts. I remember liking the book back then, but I was young so for all I know it's actually terrible.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #153
jimplasticguy
jimplasticguy began at the beginning.

Device: None
Searching for SF series - Revolves around stars

I read a series years ago, I believe it was a trilogy. What I remember best was that as people passed on, they moved into common consciousness in stars of all things. I thought for sure it was the Star Child Trilogy, but read description of that on Amazon and that doesn't look like it. So all that I remember is this afterlife star consciousness part, and the fact that I am fairly certain it was a series or trilogy.
Thanks in advance,
Jim
jimplasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #154
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimplasticguy View Post
I read a series years ago, I believe it was a trilogy. What I remember best was that as people passed on, they moved into common consciousness in stars of all things. I thought for sure it was the Star Child Trilogy, but read description of that on Amazon and that doesn't look like it. So all that I remember is this afterlife star consciousness part, and the fact that I am fairly certain it was a series or trilogy.
Thanks in advance,
Jim
Intriguing! I hope someone can post the answer for us. (Like I need more on my TBR list!)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #155
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Maybe one of the items listed in this Wikipedia aticle might ring a bell...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_m...cience_fiction)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #156
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks in advance,
Jim
It doesn't sound quite right, but the first thing I thought of was Ian Watson's Yaleen trilogy (The Book Of The River, The Book Of Being, The Book Of The Stars). It's been a very long time though, and I only remember the Black Current and the Godmind, and other fragments.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #157
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Thanks in advance,
Jim
Not exactly what you described, but check Star Dance Trilogy by Spider Robinson or A Fire Upon the Deep/Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #158
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Earth tilts on its axis

Years ago, in the late 70's, I read a book that dealt with the Earth tilting on its axis....it was fictional, of course, and now I can't even remember why it did this......maybe because the polar ice caps melted?

Does anyone remember reading this? If I'm not mistaken, it was an old book even when I read it, in hardback form. The idea was to be in a plane when it happened so that you could land safely after it was over.

Don't laugh........just suspend belief.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #159
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Was it Down to a Sunless Sea by David Graham? I remember it had a plane that was en route to Europe from New York when a world wide nuclear war broke out and the plane could not continue to Europe or return to the US. I think the nuclear blasts may have affected the Earth's axis.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #160
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
thanks BenG, but that wasn't it. As I recall, they landed the plane in Africa, which was the only country able to support life after the disaster.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #161
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I think in this book they landed in Antarctica to avoid nuclear fallout.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #162
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I think in this book they landed in Antarctica to avoid nuclear fallout.
and because mcmurdo station had years of food? That one sounds like The Last Ship by William Brinkley. Not sure about jimplasticguy's trilogy, I have read it.. I can't remember the name yet.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #163
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I read this interesting book a while back, and I can't remember either the title, or the author, or even the name of the protagonist.

It starts with us learning that the main character now tends to the garden of a university or college. He is afraid of telephones because whenever he gets near one, it starts ringing, even if it is disconnected, and whoever picks up the phone hears a horrible scream.
I think the protagonist was some kind of a detective or police man or something, and the scream comes from a kid that's posessed by something.

Yes, it's quite scary
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #164
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I think the protagonist was some kind of a detective or police man or something, and the scream comes from a kid that's posessed by something.

Yes, it's quite scary
Cool... sounds like a book I would like to read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:47 AM   #165
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I'm looking for the title to a book I read from the mid-90's. It's a novel set in Australia about a young guy on the dole who has health problems. He gets a live-in girlfriend who also has medical problems and is a recovering heroin addict. At some point in the book they both get genital warts. I remember liking the book back then, but I was young so for all I know it's actually terrible.
Bit late, but anyway. Sounds like the book Praise by Andrew M'Gahan. Bit of a write-up about 1/3 of the page down here; http://eurhythmania.blogspot.com/200...1_archive.html
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths