Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2018, 04:47 AM   #136
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
Perhaps...

Good luck.
Yes, but the patch Remove extra bottom space when footer disabled I was referring to was an interims patch as long there was no solution for removing the footer/header gap.

Now I enabled the new patch of GeoffR....Reduce top/bottom page spacer

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=98

...and the unwanted behaviour of the navigationbar is back again.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=117
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #137
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast
mobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Questions about patching my Kobo Clara:

1. Do I just download 1 patch at a time for a feature wanted or are the patches cumulative as they are created?

2. I see the instructions say to download the firmware from the provided link. My Kobo came from Walmart. In my Kobo Clara I changed the affiliate to "Kobo." Can I download the regular Kobo firmware from now on and not use the Walmartca firmware anymore?

3. It looks like one downloads a new copy of the firmware for their device, then applies the patch to the downloaded firmware and then uploads the revised & patched firmware to their Kobo through a file that is created. Is this correct?

4. Will all existing settings and files then be overwritten besides just the firmware? Do I need to save a copy of all existing files on my Kobo Clara before attempting to upload a patched firmware copy? What about any custom fonts or config settings?

5. If I want to install more than 1 patch how do I accomplish this?

6. For Kobopatch: I'm using a Macbook 2017 model. Do I download the linux version 64bit? If no, which file do I use?

Thank you in advance. I don't want to do anything that will brick my device so better to ask before jumping ahead.

Last edited by mobilemoxie; 12-26-2018 at 02:26 PM.
mobilemoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #138
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mobilemoxie:

1/ They're cumulative, and you don't actually "download" them one by one, each FW version gets a dedicated zip file with *all* the patches for the FW version.
You *enable* them one by one by tweaking the config, though.

2/ Yep, the affiliate has no impact on the actual FW being used, it's just a config switch you've just flipped .

3/ Yes. (Although, technically, the "patched" package only contains the patched files, so it's much smaller/faster to install).

4/ Nothing user-created will be affected. As I said in 3/, only the patched *system* files are modified.
(Note that, even with a full, official FW upgrade, your settings & content will *never* be affected either).

5/ See 1/, through the config file.

6/ No, use the mac build . But that isn't really relevant, since you probably won't be downloading the kobopatch binary, but the kobopatch-patches package for your FW version, which bundles *all* the kobopatch binaries.
The question then becomes "which script do I use"? And then the answer is indeed, kobopatch.sh, like on Linux .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #139
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast
mobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thank you for answering my questions

Two more:

For this instruction, "Enable patches in the files in the src folder"

How do I enable patches?

And "You *enable* them one by one by tweaking the config, though."

How do I tweak the config to turn 'on' whatever new features I want to get patched?

Last edited by mobilemoxie; 12-26-2018 at 05:35 PM.
mobilemoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #140
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
typing "yes" instead of "no" in "enabled" section of the patch.
forget about that one.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #141
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemoxie View Post
Thank you for answering my questions

Two more:

For this instruction, "Enable patches in the files in the src folder"

How do I enable patches?

And "You *enable* them one by one by tweaking the config, though."

How do I tweak the config to turn 'on' whatever new features I want to get patched?
In the downloaded patch pack you'll find a file called kobopatch.yaml. This is the main configuration file for kobopatch. Here's a small example for firmware 4.12.12111 which enables 5 different patches:
- 3 patching firmware file libnickel.so.1.0.0
- 2 patching firmware file nickel
Code:
version: 4.12.12111
in: src/kobo-update-4.12.12111.zip
out: out/KoboRoot.tgz
log: out/log.txt

## The patch format to use: kobopatch (.yaml) or patch32lsb(.patch)
patchFormat: kobopatch

## This section lists the patch files and the corresponding binary in the tgz.
patches:
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:  usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
  src/nickel.yaml:              usr/local/Kobo/nickel

## You can put lines in the following section to override the enabled state of patches.
overrides:
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
    Freedom to advanced fonts control: yes
    My 24 line spacing values: yes
    Custom left & right margins: yes
  src/nickel.yaml:
    Increase the cover size in library: yes
    Increase size of kepub chapter progress chart: yes
So, decide which patches you want to enable, note which of the src/*.yaml files contains this patch, then add a line for it to the overrides section of kobopatch.yaml.

If you're still baffled, post a list of all the patches you want to enable and one of us can help you create your personalised kobopatch.yaml file

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-26-2018 at 06:16 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:12 AM   #142
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hello and Happy New Year

I think there may be a problem with the patch "Increase the view details container size" in version 38 of the patches for the latest firmware.

With the patch enabled without modification, it appears that the lower lines are obscured by the pagination indicator and navigation (most clear when the info is more than one page long).
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #143
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Happy new year (and v39 of the patches with 4 new ones and 2 improvements)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
Hello and Happy New Year

I think there may be a problem with the patch "Increase the view details container size" in version 38 of the patches for the latest firmware.

With the patch enabled without modification, it appears that the lower lines are obscured by the pagination indicator and navigation (most clear when the info is more than one page long).
Try the "Custom synopsis/details line spacing" patch as well and see if it fixes it.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #144
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi geek1011,

Happy new year to you, and thank you for the new patches I am making extensive use of your patches and really appreciate them. Discovering them was like having a free upgrade for my device

I played around with the synopsis line spacing and font size patches, and have tuned those to my preference now. With the "Increase the view details container size" patch though, some lines were still obscured by the pagination controls, but I felt inspired to play around with the code. Through trial and error, I have settled on patch code for my Aura ONE which makes the view details page look good to me. I've pasted it below in case someone else might find it useful at all.

Code:
Increase the view details container size:
  - Enabled: yes
  - Description: See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3311354&postcount=134
  - FindZlib: "#bookInfoWidget"
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Offset: 0
      Find:    "#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=false][qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  max-height: 300px;\n  min-height: 300px;\n}\n#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=false][qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  max-height: 390px;\n  min-height: 390px;\n}\n#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=false][qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  max-height: 550px;\n  min-height: 550px;\n}\n#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=false][qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  max-height: 715px;\n  min-height: 715px;\n}"
      Replace: "#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=false][qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  max-height: 200px;\n  min-height: 200px;\n}\n#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=false][qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  max-height: 230px;\n  min-height: 230px;\n}\n#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=false][qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  max-height: 400px;\n  min-height: 400px;\n}\n#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=false][qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  max-height: 450px;\n  min-height: 450px;\n}"
  # - ReplaceZlib:
  #     Offset: 0
  #     Find:    "#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=true][qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  max-height: 210px;\n  min-height: 210px;\n}\n#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=true][qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  max-height: 265px;\n  min-height: 265px;\n}\n#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=true][qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  max-height: 420px;\n  min-height: 420px;\n}\n#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=true][qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  max-height: 540px;\n  min-height: 540px;\n}"
  #     Replace: "#details[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  max-height: 390px;\n  min-height: 390px;\n}\n#details[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  max-height: 515px;\n  min-height: 515px;\n}\n#details[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  max-height: 710px;\n  min-height: 710px;\n}\n#details[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  max-height: 880px;\n  min-height: 880px;\n}"
I can't pretend to know what is going on. If I were to hazard a guess though, I think the first replacement adjusts the size of the top container on the page which contains the book cover, title and author, and the second replacement adjusts the size of the synopsis pane. I commented out the second replacement in the hope it would just magically sort itself out. This actually seems to have worked. I then reduced the size of the top container (just the qApp_deviceIsDaylight part, since I have an Aura ONE) so as to make full use of the available screen space.

Then I stuck it together with duct tape Hopefully it holds up!

Thanks again!
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #145
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
Then I stuck it together with duct tape Hopefully it holds up!

Thanks again!
Well, perhaps you don't want to do that if you use Landscape mode.
This patch was made when Landscape mode was not in use.
Therefore, use something like
Code:
Increase the view details container size:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3311354&postcount=134
  - FindZlib: "#bookInfoWidget"
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=false][qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  max-height: 715px;\n  min-height: 715px;\n}"
      Replace: "#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=false][qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  max-height: 450px;\n  min-height: 450px;\n}"
   - ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=true][qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  max-height: 540px;\n  min-height: 540px;\n}"
      Replace: "#bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=true][qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  max-height: 425px;\n  min-height: 425px;\n}"
if you plan to use Landscape mode.

Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:29 AM   #146
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Hello,

Discovering this thread and, wow, I'm excited. Thanks for all the work !

Is there a patch to disable the "slide to change brightness" feature*? When reading in the dark, I'm always setting brightness to 1% and, sometimes, I*unvoluntarely scroll down and set it to 0% (which is very annoying). So I'm looking to either disable the "scroll brightness" or to disable 0% entirely (when reading in daylight, I*don't mind having backlight enabled, I*never disable it anyway)
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:00 AM   #147
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@ploum,
There is a checkbox to do that in the Reading settings.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #148
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
kobopatch request thread

Hi geek1011, I’m happy to see you’ve been making some more patches again! If you find some more time in the future and are willing, I’d still really be interested in the below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Re: the reading footer toggle between page number, percent read and time remaining:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I might be able to patch the long-tap [to a short tap] if you want.

Yes please!!

(Just adding my request from the other thread to here.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post

Sorry! I was so busy and forgot about that. I think I did start looking into it, but got a bit stuck figuring out where the delay was stored. I might be able to track it down with the qt metacalls, but it'll be when I have more time.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #149
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@ploum,

There is a checkbox to do that in the Reading settings.

Still though, disabling the 0% on the slider would really be helpful. Accidentally sliding to 0% in the darkness _is_ *really* annoying!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #150
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm going to ask because I will never know if I don't ask Should it be possible to make a patch that switches between pages per book and pages per chapter with short tap/long tap (I'm not picky) in the footer?

Thank you for the work of all of you who maintain the patches and the tools.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 01-12-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests