Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #136
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
I found it moved here. Given all that changed was /support-center/ to /page/ in the middle, this looks like they were fixing where it was placed on the site. (Also, it looks like even the support links are now /page/ instead of /support-center/, so they apparently redid links site-wide.)
Thank you.

I went to the new webpage and set an updated bookmark for it. Then, I went to Visual Ping and set it up to let me know when the webpage changes significantly (for those of you who haven't started using it, it is easy peasy to use). Now, I'm all set to get free classical music every week! Woohoo!

I don't usually monitor this thread, so I don't know if anyone has posted this info . . . . there is a service called FreeGal that libraries can subscribe to, by which patrons can download up to 5 songs or tracks each week, free. They cover every genre and subgenre imaginable, it seems. Don't expect many of the newer artists (think: Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Blake Shelton, Alabama Shakes, et al.) to be included, nor some of the older artists or some of their songs or tracks. But, I've found a huge number of great songs and tracks, nevertheless. Of course, this is bound to cost the libraries some money, so the libraries with which you have privileges may or may not offer the service. If you don't know, you can check with your libraries to find out (if they do offer FreeGal, it probably will be featured prominently on their websites somewhere).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-17-2016 at 05:48 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #137
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My local library used to subscribe to Freegal, and I did download some music from there, but the website was incredibly unresponsive, difficult to navigate and just very frustrating in general. I stopped using it long before our library dropped it. YMMV.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #138
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
My local library used to subscribe to Freegal, and I did download some music from there, but the website was incredibly unresponsive, difficult to navigate and just very frustrating in general. I stopped using it long before our library dropped it. YMMV.
Yeah, it has its quirks and such. I used to get frustrated with it some. But they improved a little bit about two years ago. Too, after you've used it a while, you learn how to sidestep the quirky things, employ workarounds, etc. I don't mind using it now, and I am the kind of person who doesn't have much patience with stuff like that.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #139
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
In addition to the weekly downloads, you can also stream music--I believe it's three hours of streaming per day.

I used Freegal to recreate some of my old scratched LPs, religiously going through the track lists and downloading five files every week. Lots of great stuff there.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #140
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
In addition to the weekly downloads, you can also stream music--I believe it's three hours of streaming per day.

I used Freegal to recreate some of my old scratched LPs, religiously going through the track lists and downloading five files every week. Lots of great stuff there.
I didn't know about that feature. From what you wrote, it sounds like there may be some more desirable artists and songs/tracks than available by download. Is that correct?
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #141
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I didn't know about that feature. From what you wrote, it sounds like there may be some more desirable artists and songs/tracks than available by download. Is that correct?
No, it's all the same material.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #142
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Two new free albums at Google Play...

Footloose (Music From the Motion Picture, 2011 version)

Kuntry Livin' by Big Smo
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #143
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Awesome find. The Footloose one, I mean. hahahah

Google Play has been giving away a lot of great albums lately. I learn about them all (it seems), from another website; unfortunately, I can't give out the information about the website because another member of Mobileread runs it. I haven't been able to find a way to be notified of them directly. Does any Mobilereader reading this know how to do that?
Old 02-19-2016, 01:25 AM   #144
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Awesome find. The Footloose one, I mean. hahahah

[...]I learn about them all (it seems), from another website; unfortunately, I can't give out the information about the website because another member of Mobileread runs it. [...]
What? Huh? Why you can't you share the link to that site as you would that of any other site that offers media of interest to MobileReaders?
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:32 AM   #145
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
What? Huh? Why you can't you share the link to that site as you would that of any other site that offers media of interest to MobileReaders?
I thought that there was a rule against it. I'll try to look through the rulebook tomorrow and check.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:42 AM   #146
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I thought that there was a rule against it. I'll try to look through the rulebook tomorrow and check.
MobileRead has rules prohibiting self-promotion (but it's not your site) and posting affiliate links outside of the Self-Promotion section (but you won't be posting affiliate links), so - unless you pinkie-swore, signed some secret blood pact, would be sharing state secrets, or would be guiding MobileReaders to a site hosting unauthorized content - there's no obstacle to your posting links to that site here. Except, of course, your availability of time, willingness, and effort, all of which this MobileReader would gr8ly appreciate.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:10 AM   #147
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
MobileRead has rules prohibiting self-promotion (but it's not your site) and posting affiliate links outside of the Self-Promotion section (but you won't be posting affiliate links), so - unless you pinkie-swore, signed some secret blood pact, would be sharing state secrets, or would be guiding MobileReaders to a site hosting unauthorized content - there's no obstacle to your posting links to that site here. Except, of course, your availability of time, willingness, and effort, all of which this MobileReader would gr8ly appreciate.
Very well. The site is blog.booksontheknob.org. Koland, who frequently posts in this forum, runs it.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-19-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:47 AM   #148
Froide
Wizard

Quote:
Very well. The site is blog.booksontheknob.org. Koland, who frequently posts in this forum, runs it.
Thanks for sharing the link, GtrsRGr8. I am familiar with that site and with Koland's many contributions to MR.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:21 AM   #149
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
I haven't been able to find a way to be notified of them directly. Does any Mobilereader reading this know how to do that?
The site has an RSS feed, so you can use a feed notifier app to get notifications. I haven't used any of those personally, but Googling finds one nice little Windows/Mac OSX app and a service that'll send you an E-mail when the feed updates. If all you're interested in is notifications from the Free Music category, use this RSS feed:
Code:
http://blog.booksontheknob.org/category/music/free-music/feed
If you want to be notified about all new posts, use this one:
Code:
http://blog.booksontheknob.org/feed
If there's another specific category you want, just browse to that category. Then view page source and look for the RSS links in the header of the page. They look like this:
Code:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Books on the Knob &raquo; Feed" href="//blog.booksontheknob.org/feed"/>
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Books on the Knob &raquo; Comments Feed" href="//blog.booksontheknob.org/comments/feed"/>
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Books on the Knob &raquo; Free Music Category Feed" href="//blog.booksontheknob.org/category/music/free-music/feed"/>
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #150
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
The site has an RSS feed, so you can use a feed notifier app to get notifications. I haven't used any of those personally, but
<snip>
Thanks. I have never "gotten into" RSS feeds and such. Heretofore I just never felt that it was something that I needed.

Tags
disney movies anywhere, dma, movies anywhere, moviesanywhere