Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #136
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.gotwald View Post
I bought my Sony PRS-505 more than 3 years ago. ... <snip> ... And, I can stick it in my coat pocket. Try that with Kindle or IPAD!
Why couldn't you stick a Kindle in your coat pocket? It's the same width and depth as the PRS-505, fractionally lighter, and only 15mm longer.

The main danger with both devices is an impact to the screen so you'd probably want both in a case anyway.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #137
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep. I love my 505. It is my most used reader.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #138
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorah View Post
I'm happy too, but mine in fact is my dedicated e-book reader. I thought of getting a Kindle but my reading style is read; look something up; go back to reading etc. So having a device that does both in one, runs my iPhone apps and all is divine. It's a beautiful device. I just got mine a few weeks ago. Held off all this time, and now enjoying it. Does all I need, and I use it every day as well as just for quick note writing at work too. Standby mode for instant on is so handy and battery life is great for such a colorful multiple use tablet.
Actually, Kindle does a fairly good job at that. I'll often be reading and come upon an unfamiliar concept or name and I'll use the Kindle to check Wikipedia or surf the web for information on the subject, then return to my reading. And, of course, you can use a custom dictionary if you prefer (I use the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and Thesaurus rather than the stock dictionary that comes with the device). Web pages are certainly not as quickly loaded nor as well-formatted as they are on the iPad, but the device is serviceable.

The important thing is that you're happy and your needs are met.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-28-2010 at 08:46 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #139
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I really don't understand this whole mentality of the thread here. Just because you don't want a device, it doesn't mean it's a bad device and nobody should want it. The iPad is perfect for some people. I have one and love it---I had previously had a net book and it was inadequate for several reasons, so to say 'why not just get a cheaper net book' would not work for me.

I teach with my device and use more than one classroom. Not all of them are set up with power plugs in convenient places, so a net book that can't go all day was a problem for me. And since I could not leave it plugged in, it would shut off and I had to keep rebooting it. So the kids would be sitting there for ten minutes sometimes waiting, while I found a plug and waited for windows to start!

Plus I already had an iPod touch so I had apps for it already...

I love that the iPad has a big enough screen that the kids can see it so I can display media. I have all my teaching music and books on it too. It really is my ideal device.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #140
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I really don't understand this whole mentality of the thread here. Just because you don't want a device, it doesn't mean it's a bad device and nobody should want it.
I can answer that in principle: Really popular products take away the market that really good products need to succeed.

The classic example is VHS vs Betamax. Betamax was a superior product that was loved by those that used it. But VHS was cheaper and advertised more successfully, so Betamax lost the marketing battle.

I think this situation has some similarity. If one e-reader becomes popular and wins a huge percentage of the total market share, it will be difficult for others to survive. So people tend to champion the product they like and hope others don't become very popular.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #141
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW2112 View Post
Hope you have plenty of reading material on your Kindle then!
I want the device to do work on, not as a glorified ereader

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
You mean this?
https://h30406.www3.hp.com/campaigns...PSL/index.php?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...0-4332585.html

HP is going after business with it now, but it's basically the same thing Ballmer showed at CES. They're taking orders for it now and I didn't know the damn thing still existed (was waiting on a WebOS-based version).
I dunno. I think there is still a device in the works that will essentially have the microsoft stamp on it. I'll have to check with my tame microsoft peeps, though I'm sure they would have said something as they know I've been waiting
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #142
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
The classic example is VHS vs Betamax. Betamax was a superior product that was loved by those that used it. But VHS was cheaper and advertised more successfully, so Betamax lost the marketing battle.
No, VHS also had the killer feature being able to hold an entire 2-hour movie in one cassette, and that's what consumers wanted. Betamax lost because it didn't give consumers the features that turned out to matter most to them.
VHS quality, as it turned out, was "good enough." And "cheaper" never hurt. That's a genuine benefit to consumers.

Betamax had superior image and color quality and that's probably why the brand survives to this day in the form of Betacam and other professional production formats.

Last edited by ApK; 12-28-2010 at 10:20 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #143
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...d=rss.business

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...le-2010-12.DTL

http://www.businessinsider.com/ipad-...on-ceo-2010-12

iPad usage survey:
http://www.businessinsider.com/ipad-...mpatibility-12

Last edited by kennyc; 12-28-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #144
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
You mean this?
https://h30406.www3.hp.com/campaigns...PSL/index.php?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...0-4332585.html

HP is going after business with it now, but it's basically the same thing Ballmer showed at CES. They're taking orders for it now and I didn't know the damn thing still existed (was waiting on a WebOS-based version).
apparently we ARE still waiting on a tablet from Microsoft.
from the link;

Tablets

Microsoft, Motorola and Palm will once again have tablets to talk about -- and maybe even to demonstrate. In 2010, Microsoft misfired on the Courier device, killing it before it ever really took shape. This time around, Microsoft is expected to brandish tablets from Samsung and Dell.

The stock

Microsoft's tablet demo should mark the software giant's big step toward ARM-based mobile systems. The company will likely unveil a version of Windows for tablets. This would be a crucial step just like Windows Phone 7 was in smartphones, but, similarly, it could take years to pay off.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #145
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good articles, and they seem all seem to be on-target.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #146
kennyc

Tom your ticker is like mastercard - priceless!

Old 12-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #147
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
Didn't mean to cause a big hoobob with my comment. I like open systems. For me being able to download ebooks from a variety of sites is critical (like going to the library site (pdf DRM, EPUB) or downloading from mobileread content). Many devices limit source and have proprietary interfaces. That's a killer for me. The device is just a means for display. I don't want the means for display dictating to me where I can get material to display. I could be wrong on this and please correct me if I am, but I don't believe Kindle allows EPUB or PDF DRM which is the format the library posts material in and what most sites sell in.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #148
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Tom your ticker is like mastercard - priceless!

I don't believe in setting unrealistic goals!
Old 12-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #149
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.gotwald View Post
Didn't mean to cause a big hoobob with my comment. I like open systems. For me being able to download ebooks from a variety of sites is critical (like going to the library site (pdf DRM, EPUB) or downloading from mobileread content). Many devices limit source and have proprietary interfaces. That's a killer for me. The device is just a means for display. I don't want the means for display dictating to me where I can get material to display. I could be wrong on this and please correct me if I am, but I don't believe Kindle allows EPUB or PDF DRM which is the format the library posts material in and what most sites sell in.
Actually, Amazon is easily the largest seller. Most sites sell in a variety of formats, be they unprotected MOBI, or other.

And all EPUB is not equal. DRM'd EPUB or DRM'd PDF is just as locked to devices or readers as DRM'D Mobi/AZW.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #150
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
DRM'd EPUB or DRM'd PDF is just as locked to devices or readers as DRM'D Mobi/AZW.
Well, while I certainly would not call any DRM scheme "open" or "non-proprietary", it is true that several sources use Adobe's ADEPT system (via Adobe digital editions) which makes them interoperable with several competing readers, unlike Amazon's DRM witch will only work on Kindle devices or Kindle software.

That being said, it must be true that many Kindle users find little reason to shop anywhere else. I don't care how well marketed the device was, if the Amazon store was not keeping people happy, Kindle would not be holding the market share it holds.

That, plus the fact that stripping DRM and using those Adobe ePubs on the kindle is, for the moment, trivially easy for those inclined to do so.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote