Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Jetbook has nothing to fear from Apple

I think with the release of the Apple Ipad today the jetbook has just proved it position solid in the ereader market.

As long as the software problems are corrected in a timely fashion, the jetbook is a good solid ereader device that is safe from Apple.

The entry price of the Ipad puts it more in competition with the larger Sony, Kindle and other readers. The closed source system and their store only attitude will make jetbook even stronger in the market.

If you want to read books you will get something like the Jetbook. If you want it to fit in your pocket you get a Jetbook. If you want battery life longer than 10 hours you get a Jetbook. If you want to get your materials from many sources you get a jetbook.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
GA Russell
Ticats win first!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm confident that over the years the price of an eBook reader will plummet, just as it did for pocket calculators.

I have been struck by how price-sensitive so many people here are - struck because we here are the enthusiasts. Obviously people who don't care much for reading are going to wait till the price is much lower.

I think we saw this two weeks ago with Nate's reports from the CES. Many announcements were for readers in the mid $200s, and the general reaction here was that the newcomers were offering tweedledum and tweedledee products. I believe that we would have seen a lot of enthusiasm for the very same products if their prices were half the amount quoted.

In regard to the iPad, I don't see people paying the big bucks for the purpose of reading on a backlit screen. However, I can see that sort of money being spent by people who want a big iPod Touch with all of its apps. I see them thinking that the iBook app is just an extra, and they may read two light best sellers a year on the device. I don't see those people to have ever been the JetBook's market.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
kolrone
Enthusiast
kolrone doesn't litterkolrone doesn't litter

Device: jetBook-Lite, eBookwise-1150
I agree, but the iPad is supposed to be more of an all around media experience. It seems great for larger formats like magazines, newspapers, and text books though (once you get beyond the battery life and glare on the screen :P).

I'm not that impressed with the iPad. I think the design could have been more creative. I guess they were going with that familiar feel of the iPod Touch so people could easily transition to a newer product. It has all the apps and benefits of the Touch but more capability.

I'd still prefer my JBL for reading anyways.
kolrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
The iPad is interesting to me. I first got into ebooks with my iPod Touch, a device I think is terrific, but I found the screen to be too small for reading lengthy books. I bought the Jetbook Lite because the price was quite affordable for me, and the larger screen offers a better reading experience.

I will wait until they are available in stores before I make a decision, but I can definitely see getting the entry-level iPad. I would still keep the JBL, though, for travel overseas. If your iPad gets stolen, you'll be kissing $500 good-bye as opposed to $130 or so.
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
causticmuse
Binge Reader
causticmuse doesn't littercausticmuse doesn't litter

Device: Treo 650, JetBook Lite, Asus eeePC 900a (Linux), Palm Pre
There's the whole reading in bed before going to sleep thing, too. Currently, depending on whether my husband is still awake and watching TV or reading himself, or if the lights are off, I either read on my JBL or on my old Palm Treo 650 with a backlight.

My husband told me flat out yesterday when we talked about the iPad that there would be a lot of grousing if I fired up an 8"x11" backlit screen after lights out. Hah!

Also, I tend to fall asleep while still reading on either device, and they've wound up under the bed, wedged between the bedframe and wall, bumped against the night stand, under the pillow, under DH's backside, and who knows where else.

I don't want to risk a $500 piece of tech like the iPad in these situations, and I do most of my reading before I go to sleep.
causticmuse is offline   Reply With Quote