Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2021, 06:23 AM   #16
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
I read that such an option is only available on iOS and Android.

Should I conclude that there is NO posssiblity to read article from subscription-based websites on Kobo Pocket?

Is there any solution (bypass) to this problem?
To refer to your original post, no, there isn't a solution to this problem because unlike iOS and android, the Kobo Pocket app does not access the web browser. Therefore, there's no way for it to authorize the website for later reading. Any solution you use, like the ones already suggested here, require you to copy the content into another form for later access. But there's no way to get the Pocket For Kobo app to authorize anything because it is coded to just download retrievable articles. Articles behind a pay wall are protected against the very thing you're trying to do.

Last edited by Cootey; 12-07-2021 at 06:26 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #17
Percivale
Connoisseur
Percivale began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for your valuable answers.

So the situation is clear to me. Pocket is useless for subscription-based articles.

Calibre in this regard is not helpful either. I would like to convert any (randomly chosen by me) articles into epubs. Not a whole bunch of different ones.

Once again I pose the question: is there any application/software that can convert subscription-based articles into epubs?

It is difficult for me to realise that there can be no software (paid or not) which fulfils the above requirement.

I will be very grateful for any help.
Percivale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:21 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Maybe some of the suggestions from https://www.ghacks.net/2021/01/05/sa...ox-and-chrome/

The save as ebook plugin is found at https://github.com/alexadam/save-as-ebook

Remember, as long as the tool runs totally on your PC it should have no issues with pages that require authorization.

Of course, you will loose the ability to wirelessly sync the page(s).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:09 PM   #19
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I find that when I use wallabag and save articles from NYTimes with my login I can then read the articles in full in wallabag. However the NYTimes has kind of a soft paywall and I don't know if that will work with other pay walled sites
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #20
wherahiko
Enthusiast
wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle PW 3
I'm replying a few years later but hope this helps somewhat.

There used to be a solution to this. The (now defunct) service Email This could scrape text from any web page and send it to your email. Then, to read on Kobo, I used the Read Email Later service which gives you an email address to attach to your Pocket account. Anything emailed to that address will turn up in Pocket on your Kobo. It worked perfectly for me back in 2021.

Unfortunately, "Email This" no longer exists and I don't know of any similar service. The only solution I've found is to copy the text from the website yourself and paste it into an email which you then send to your "Read Email Later" address.

If anyone knows of a more automated solution, I'd love to know. For now, it's a case of copying-and-pasting or (if it's a paid email newsletter) forwarding the newsletter to your Read Email Later address.

Last edited by wherahiko; Yesterday at 10:23 PM. Reason: clarity
wherahiko is offline   Reply With Quote