Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM   #1
pypeke
Enthusiast
pypeke began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
New to Calibre and confused...Need step by step.

I am confused about what the following means...

"The commonly-provided requirements for subgroups such as genres are:

A subgroup (e.g., a genre) must contain (point to) books, not categories of books. This is what distinguishes subgroups from calibre user categories."

I cannot find out what a user category is. I cannot distinguish subgroups from user categories since I don't understand what a user category is.

I want to do something to put the books by genre. I know they cannot be put in folders like in a PC.

I have read about subgroups and hierarchies and virtual libraries, but I don't know which one is the one I need to categorize my books. Maybe there is a better way to do this?
Thanks for any advice.
pypeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:50 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The simplest way is to create a custom column.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:25 AM   #3
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
Sub-group in calibre is same as tagging i.e. put a label at a book.
User categorie is a bit like other direction and not only for books i.e. you add books but also authors and more to a created category.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118934

There are different but also some similar features to tags and user category.

My recommendation: start with tagging.
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:37 PM   #4
pypeke
Enthusiast
pypeke began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Thanks.

I could not figure out which one to check when creating custom columns so I could have genre, but I created a column called Unread.

I will try using tags. Should be much easier. I use shelves on my Fire and Nook.

thanks.
pypeke is offline   Reply With Quote