Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #691
cartman
Connoisseur
cartman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505 (Blue)
Hello. I would like to suggest an addition to PRSCustomizer, the PRS-505 Page Counter, Read Timer and Pages per Minute hack (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36166) I have tried it and it works fine, and surely is quite useful, as it can predict in about how much time you will be able to finish a book.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #692
voidIndigo
Enthusiast
voidIndigo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, REB 1200, Kobo Glo
Hi,

I´m currently working in integrating the page counter into my already PRScustomized Pierre (PRS -> Pierre, got it? Well, I think it's funny!).

I'm keeping a record of the lines modified, but I just got a terrible flu (not the famous one, I think) and forgot the files in my computer at work. If I survive (it IS a terrible flu, I'm typing with one hand and stuffing paper in my nose with the other ) and finish it AND it works, I'll let you know.

[]´s

void Indigo
voidIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #693
ShacharWeis
ShacharWeis began at the beginning.

Device: fx-82c
Hey everyone,
I have a new PRS-505 with Firmware version 1.1.01.25200
I tried to install PRS-Customizer 1.4 and it wont run,
claiming the firmware version is not supported.
Ideas ?
Thanks,
Shachar Weis.
ShacharWeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #694
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacharWeis View Post
I tried to install PRS-Customizer 1.4 and it wont run,
claiming the firmware version is not supported.
Ideas ?
Hello Shachar, you have to use the official Sony Update to "downgrade" your firmware to version 1.1.00.18040 first. Extract the Updaters exe-file and increment the version number in "prs505/eBookUpdater/assets/updaterAssets/PRSVersion.dat". Then execute the update program. See also Jeffs post. After that you can use the PRSCustomizer without problems.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #695
kmvargo
kmvargo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Even though I work on computers I was hesitant to do this to my new reader. Well I took the plunge and it works great. Just wanted to say Thanks.
kmvargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #696
PJ45
PJ45 began at the beginning.

Device: Frs 505
HI, I am new to this forum, I did try PRS customizer. I was able to change the logo with my name and phone number> I canot figure out how to change the language> I did select firmware 1.1 US. in language, trying french or all language. I clicked on customize then I copied the SDcard forder content on the root of my SDcard and flashed the reader. everything seemed to be fine exepted that there is no change for the languages. still in US> only my Name and Logo with phone number showing...

- is there supposed to be a choice in the menu or only one language can be preset at a time? ( would need french and russian, possibly german.)
I did previously flash the reader with a russify software (2007) but could not see any difference with fonts or language

- how those 12 languages work?. Does it support books in those languages?
- I want to download a couple of russian books need to know if the interface is russian cyrillic fonts. or how to proceed to download it and install???

Thanks for any suggestion
PJ45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #697
assr
assr began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Have version 1.1.01.25200 2025 Customizer does not work for this version. What can I do? My os Windows Vista.

Tns
assr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #698
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ45 View Post
HI, I am new to this forum, I did try PRS customizer. I was able to change the logo with my name and phone number> I canot figure out how to change the language> I did select firmware 1.1 US. in language, trying french or all language. I clicked on customize then I copied the SDcard forder content on the root of my SDcard and flashed the reader. everything seemed to be fine exepted that there is no change for the languages. still in US> only my Name and Logo with phone number showing...

- is there supposed to be a choice in the menu or only one language can be preset at a time? ( would need french and russian, possibly german.)
I did previously flash the reader with a russify software (2007) but could not see any difference with fonts or language

- how those 12 languages work?. Does it support books in those languages?
- I want to download a couple of russian books need to know if the interface is russian cyrillic fonts. or how to proceed to download it and install???

Thanks for any suggestion
Choose Language=All in the dropdown menu. After you flash go to the 505's About screen to select your language.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #699
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by assr View Post
Have version 1.1.01.25200 2025 Customizer does not work for this version. What can I do? My os Windows Vista.

Tns
You have to be using the US or UK firmware. To update your reader to the US/Canadian firmware go to:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...S=7#div_pos_30
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #700
trektech
trektech began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nexus One, Nikon D700, Smartq V7
thank you very much for this handy tool. made my reader really personal.....
trektech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #701
marypinchesme
marypinchesme began at the beginning.

Device: gemstar 1150
can you darken the txt on sony prs-505? newbe girl
marypinchesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #702
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by marypinchesme View Post
can you darken the txt on sony prs-505? newbe girl
Not directly.

You could try different fonts, but it's non-trivial. It would be easiest to see how they look using ePub, but you'd still have to do a certain amount of tweaking & digging around.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #703
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Lightbulb

Shameless plug : I posted about a Font Test collection I made today, and it contains ePub files (Battlestar Galactica by Jeffrey A. Carver) with embedded fonts, perfect for easily testing Droid, Fontin, Fontin SansSerif and Liberation SansSerif...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #704
ht1948
ht1948 doesn't litterht1948 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi guys, just a question from a newbie. If I used PRSCustomizer to flash my 505 with unicode font, will I be able to read ebooks in languages such as vietnamese, chinese? TIA
ht1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:40 AM   #705
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
If you install a font with support for the vietnamese and chinese charsets (UTF8?) - and can read the language - then yes you'll be able to read ebooks in chinese and vietnamese.

One caveat though : the default font replacement trick wonderfully described by Valloric will work for LRF but will not work for ePub (which is read by Adobe Digital Editions, a totally different software)... You'll have to make some modifications to your ePub files (see my previous post)

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote