Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #31
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentw View Post
Never mind most of my prior post. I didn't realize there are 2 Marvin plugins (although I'm not sure why there is). Anyway, I still get the error message when accessing the Marvin HD plugin, so that needs to be addressed.
@twentw, glad you figured out the instructions. Version 1.0.4 of the Marvin XD plugin fixes the error you reported in the configuration dialog.

The iOS reader applications plugin is a driver calibre uses to communicate with supported iOS reader applications like iBooks, GoodReader and Marvin. This driver handled the fundamental tasks of transferring books between calibre and your preferred reader application. When you click the Device icon in the calibre toolbar you'll see the books installed in your reader application. This plugin is the one that needs to be configured to work with Marvin.

Marvin XD is a GUI plugin that goes well beyond the driver, giving you remote control of Marvin from calibre. You don't need Marvin XD to handle basic communications with Marvin.

It's not possible to combine the functionality of the two plugins into a single plugin, as most (if not all) other readers and reader applications are not designed to communicate with calibre like Marvin.

Hope the explanation helps, and again, glad you got it working.

G
Old 09-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #32
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadepearl View Post
I also am getting an error. I am on latest osx, checked and updated all plugins. It took time to index and then choked on bulding the Marvin Library view:

Spoiler:
calibre, version 1.3.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'MarvinManagerAction' object has no attribute 'has_password'

calibre 1.3 isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Darwin-12.4.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '12.4.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 12.4.0: Wed May 1 17:57:12 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2050.24.15~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.5
OSX: ('10.8.4', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.action", line 664, in show_installed_books
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.book_status", line 1231, in initialize
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.book_status", line 2879, in _construct_table_view
AttributeError: 'MarvinManagerAction' object has no attribute 'has_password'
@jadepearl, I've updated Marvin XD to v1.0.4 which should resolve the error you reported.

G
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #33
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
Some issues I encountered:

Spoiler:
When you download a book in Marvin and then later import it into Calibre (where it does not yet exist), it does not update the Collections, Word count and Series columns in Calibre.

When I then open the Marvin window (from the plugin button) and want to update the info that way using the button at the bottom of the dialog I get the following

calibre, version 1.3.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:'NoneType' object does not support item assignment

calibre 1.3 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7600 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7600')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7600', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.book_status", line 981, in dispatch_button_click
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.book_status", line 1373, in refresh_custom_columns
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.book_status", line 2072, in _apply_date_read
TypeError: 'NoneType' object does not support item assignment

The last line seems to indicate it cannot find something, yet all of the available fields have been mapped in the configuration dialog of the plugin

Also, when I get rid of the dialog showing this error, I am left with this (see screenshot) that won't go away unless task killing Calibre

However, doing the same from the context menu that opens the side-by-side metadata dialog, then updating works.
@At_Libitum, please create issues (one issue per problem) as described in the If you have problems section of the first post in this thread.

Also, did you restart calibre after creating the column mappings? That is a necessary step.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 09-16-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #34
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
@At_Libitum, please create issues (one issue per problem) as described in the If you have problems section of the first post in this thread.
G
Will do that later when getting back from the hospital (yeah, me too)

Quote:
Also, did you restart calibre after creating the column mappings? That is a necessary step.

G
columns already existed prior to mapping them in the plugin dialog, they happen to be part of my standard set of custom colums
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #35
GRiker

Quote:
Will do that later when getting back from the hospital (yeah, me too)
columns already existed prior to mapping them in the plugin dialog, they happen to be part of my standard set of custom colums
What type of custom column is your pre-existing column for date read?

G
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #36
GRiker

Heads up for early adopters of iPhone 5c, 5s

I've just posted a notice in the iOS reader applications thread explaining that when the new Apple 5c and 5s iPhones are released later this week, I will need some diagnostic information before the new phone will work with the iOS reader applications plugin.

This also affects Marvin XD users. If you are trying to use Marvin with calibre and you're unable to connect, please follow the instructions in that link to post the diagnostic information that I need.

I will provide updates to the plugin as quickly as possible.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 09-16-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #37
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What type of custom column is your pre-existing column for date read?

G
Just a normal, unformatted date column. I have added the issue on Github, basically it comes down to the fact that Marvin XD seems to retrieve the original metadata from the book if that book does not yet exist in Calibre, ignoring any changed metadata in Marvin in the process. This then causes all kinds of side effects but these all stem from the fact that Calibre does not recognize the books as being present in Marvin. That is, not until I manually edit the metadata in Calibre to be the same as it is in Marvin, only then suddenly Calibre realizes the book is also there on Marvin and refreshing works like it should work.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #38
GRiker

Quote:
Just a normal, unformatted date column. I have added the issue on Github, basically it comes down to the fact that Marvin XD seems to retrieve the original metadata from the book if that book does not yet exist in Calibre, ignoring any changed metadata in Marvin in the process. This then causes all kinds of side effects but these all stem from the fact that Calibre does not recognize the books as being present in Marvin. That is, not until I manually edit the metadata in Calibre to be the same as it is in Marvin, only then suddenly Calibre realizes the book is also there on Marvin and refreshing works like it should work.
These two issues (your date column and the metadata problem you've created an issue for) are completely unrelated.

Please open calibre, then Preferences|Interface|Add your own columns. Find the custom column you created to hold 'date read'. Select it, then click the 'i' icon on the right side. In the dialog that comes up, what is the text in the Column type edit field?

I will take a look at the issue you posted, thanks for the detailed description.

G
Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #39
At_Libitum
Addict

Quote:
These two issues (your date column and the metadata problem you've created an issue for) are completely unrelated.

Please open calibre, then Preferences|Interface|Add your own columns. Find the custom column you created to hold 'date read'. Select it, then click the 'i' icon on the right side. In the dialog that comes up, what is the text in the Column type edit field?

I will take a look at the issue you posted, thanks for the detailed description.

G
Ah, I was thinking you asked about the "Last Read" date column being one of the columns Marvin XD can add for you if it doesn't already exist. My mentioning this type of column already existed in my configuration may have been the cause of this apparent confusion.

Perhaps you were thinking of something else as reason for asking, although I am at a loss what that might be as I do not have any particular issue with this column by itself other than it too not getting updated in mentioned issue.

FYI. Just for the record, doing the above reports the column type as 'Date' and there is no format applied, if you still want to know
Old 09-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #40
hymie
Enthusiast
hymie began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
UnicodeEncodeError

Greetings.

I just installed Marvin XD, and I'm suddenly getting errors.

I get this error when I start Calibre, with Marvin XD installed, but before I have connected by iPad:

Code:
calibre 1.3  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Linux-3.8.4-i686-AMD_Athlon-tm-_II_P340_Dual-Core_Processor-with-slackware-13.1.0 Linux ('32bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '3.8.4', '#1 Sat Mar 23 23:52:26 EDT 2013')
Python 2.7.5
Linux: ('Slackware ', '13.1.0', '')
  File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.action", line 63, in about_to_show_menu
  File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.action", line 560, in rebuild_menus
  File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.action", line 69, in create_menu_item
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/actions/__init__.py", line 197, in create_action
UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode character u'\u2026' in position 5: ordinal not in range(256)
but it doesn't affect anything. However, when I connect my iPad, and the MarvinXD icon appears, and I click on the little down-arrow, I get the same error (as a pop-up), and I can't (as far as I can tell) do anything with the MarvinXD plugin.

Unicode 2026 is the ellipsis ... character . But I cannot find this character anywhere in my book titles or authors or tags. So I don't know if it's a problem with one of my books, or a problem with my machine configuration, or ...

The old Marvin plugin appears to be working fine. It's just the new one.

Can you offer some guidance?

Thanks.

--hymie!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #41
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymie View Post
Greetings.

I just installed Marvin XD, and I'm suddenly getting errors.

Spoiler:
I get this error when I start Calibre, with Marvin XD installed, but before I have connected by iPad:

Code:
calibre 1.3  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Linux-3.8.4-i686-AMD_Athlon-tm-_II_P340_Dual-Core_Processor-with-slackware-13.1.0 Linux ('32bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '3.8.4', '#1 Sat Mar 23 23:52:26 EDT 2013')
Python 2.7.5
Linux: ('Slackware ', '13.1.0', '')
  File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.action", line 63, in about_to_show_menu
  File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.action", line 560, in rebuild_menus
  File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.action", line 69, in create_menu_item
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/actions/__init__.py", line 197, in create_action
UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode character u'\u2026' in position 5: ordinal not in range(256)
but it doesn't affect anything. However, when I connect my iPad, and the MarvinXD icon appears, and I click on the little down-arrow, I get the same error (as a pop-up), and I can't (as far as I can tell) do anything with the MarvinXD plugin.

Unicode 2026 is the ellipsis ... character . But I cannot find this character anywhere in my book titles or authors or tags. So I don't know if it's a problem with one of my books, or a problem with my machine configuration, or ...

The old Marvin plugin appears to be working fine. It's just the new one.

Can you offer some guidance?

Thanks.

--hymie!
@hymie, the plugin uses the ellipsis character in the context menu to indicate submenus, as well in certain dialogs throughout the plugin.

I test on Windows, OS X and Ubuntu and this is the first time I've heard of that error.

I am not a Linux user. I will do some research to see if I can learn anything more.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 09-17-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #42
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Please post the output of "locale" and "locale -a". Run both as your regular user.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #43
hymie
Enthusiast
hymie began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
@hymie, the plugin uses the ellipsis character in the context menu to indicate submenus, as well in certain dialogs throughout the plugin.

G
for the tip.

I unzipped ~/.config/calibre/plugins/Marvin XD.zip , replaced every instance of \xE2\x80\xA6 with ... , re-zipped the file, restarted calibre, and all is good now.

Now I will find out just how awesome the new plugin is ...
Old 09-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #44
GRiker

Quote:
for the tip.

I unzipped ~/.config/calibre/plugins/Marvin XD.zip , replaced every instance of \xE2\x80\xA6 with ... , re-zipped the file, restarted calibre, and all is good now.

Now I will find out just how awesome the new plugin is ...
Well, that's certainly one approach, although I'll look for something more long-term.

G
Old 09-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #45
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
I unzipped
You treated the symptom but didn't cure the disease. The next update will break things again.
Closed Thread