Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2021, 01:24 AM   #511
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Use the built in one if I remember correctly.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:33 AM   #512
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Either works .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:21 PM   #513
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When a new firmware is installed, do I have to reinstall KOReader?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #514
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When a new firmware is installed, do I have to reinstall KOReader?
In my experience, no.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:08 PM   #515
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

KOReader/Plato themselves are unotuched.

NM survives FW updates, and will (barring massive Nickel changes) keep working.
KFMon is disabled after a FW update (to avoid blowing up in fun and interesting ways in case of massive Nickel changes).

TL;DR:

* If you use plain NM, you're good to go.
* If you use KFMon (or the KFMon generator in NM, which is the default setup for the OCP), you'll want to simply reinstall KFMon.

To that effect, as far as the OCP is concerned:

For option a., the OCP installs NM configs named, respectively, koreader & plato, that allow one to switch to a pure NM setup (the action is just commented out to avoid duplicates).
For option b., the install scripts in #2, in addition to supporting the OCP packages, also support the standard, plain KFMon install package.

When in doubt, option c.: reinstalling your preferred OCP package, also works (and won't affect KOReader/Plato settings) .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-09-2021 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:44 PM   #516
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
KOReader/Plato themselves are unotuched.

NM survives FW updates, and will (barring massive Nickel changes) keep working.
KFMon is disabled after a FW update (to avoid blowing up in fun and interesting ways in case of massive Nickel changes).

TL;DR:

* If you use plain NM, you're good to go.
* If you use KFMon (or the KFMon generator in NM, which is the default setup for the OCP), you'll want to simply reinstall KFMon.

To that effect, as far as the OCP is concerned:

For option a., the OCP installs NM configs named, respectively, koreader & plato, that allow one to switch to a pure NM setup (the action is just commented out to avoid duplicates).
For option b., the install scripts in #2, in addition to supporting the OCP packages, also support the standard, plain KFMon install package.

When in doubt, option c.: reinstalling your preferred OCP package, also works (and won't affect KOReader/Plato settings) .
Interesting. I was thinking lately about an auto-update script which would, at each reboot, check for new versions of KFMon and download them if there are any.
If Nickel is updated, you'd have to provide a "signed" certificate for each firmware which would allow the script to install/reinstall KFMon safely. If it is not signed and there is a firmware update, it'd disable KFMon, so that only signed KFMon packages for each firmware version could work safely.

What do you think? Would this be possible?
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:23 AM   #517
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I mean, sure, why not, but it's a tad overkill and over-engineered because patches, and those require human interaction to check/update anyway, and it's trivial to bundle KFMon w/ patches, as this crappy script attests to .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-10-2021 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #518
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I mean, sure, why not, but it's a tad overkill and over-engineered because patches, and those require human interaction to check/update anyway, and it's trivial to bundle KFMon w/ patches, as this crappy script attests to .
Your script looks good, though I don't use KoboPatch on my Kobos. I use more KOReader/Plato than Nickel, really.
I might look into options for doing that. If we add the script to the rcS, it could be started at boot if there is network connection and therefore update KFMon if needed. I haven't checked, what's the average time between KFMon releases?

thanks
Old 02-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #519
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Modifying the rcS to handle a reinstall post-update doesn't make sense, because the rcS will be replaced by the update.

You can, instead, do that via the usual loop0 udev trick, as that'll survive and is far less intrusive.

Note that, as far as KFMon is concerned, you should still trigger a reboot after install and not launch KFMon manually, because how KFMon is launched is critical to not subtly breaking things in fun and interesting ways.

As far as the KFMon release schedule: there isn't one ^^. It's basically "when necessary". The OCP packages actually use a rolling build of the current master.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-10-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:45 PM   #520
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading
trksh22 is on a distinguished road

Device: K2
Quote:

Another thing that bears repeating is that on FW >= 4.17, you'll probably also want to prevent Nickel from scanning *nix hidden folders. And you'll want to tweak your config before unplugging your device (i.e., before installing this; or, if you've just upgraded your FW, during the first USB connection after the update).
I was wondering if anyone could assist. I bought my first Kobo ever from Walmart. Set it up and downloaded the one click installer for KO Reader. Checked my firmware and saw that it was on an OLD version and there were no updates available. Chalked it up to being from Walmart and thought I read somewhere that they were always behind on the updates.

I decided to wait until the next day to do the one click install. The next day I unlocked my kobo, one click installed and thought KOreader changed the kobo layout and whatnot. After further digging I realized my Kobo had updated overnight! Hahaha From 4dotold to 4.25! (LOTS of changes)

At any rate, is is possible to hide all these folders and nonbooks that showed up? A link to what to do would be helpful. Thanks!!!
trksh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:05 PM   #521
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
You can, instead, do that via the usual loop0 udev trick, as that'll survive and is far less intrusive.
Sorry, I don't know what this trick does
may I have an explanation ...? please?
Old 02-12-2021, 06:24 PM   #522
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@NiMa: Well, it's basically just that, a run action on the loop0 device in an udev rule. Check my answer to @fulldecent's #25 on GH . (Or, basically anything that uses it, e.g., most of @frostchutz's stuff or how KoboStuff launches its services).

@trksh22: Well, you just linked to it in your quote. Read that, and the links therein (and the links therein again ;p).

Remember that it will cause Nickel to *delete* said stuff, so, if it's actual user content, back it up, and as far as KOReader/Plato are concerned, you'll have to reinstall them.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-12-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #523
hamers
Enthusiast
hamers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (6", 4GB)
Hi all

I am having the crash (bomb) image after installation. What I did:

Installed the OCP by unzipping myself (https://storage.sbg.cloud.ovh.net/v1...v2021.01.1.zip) directly to the root of the reader.

That didn't restart the Reader after installation, so I thought it might by that *nix hidden folder issue I read about, so after that I used the powershell script.

Then that restarted/etc correctly but now I get a bomb image whenever I click it,then it reboots to the native.

I've done a Calibre database check and a Win10 file system check, no issues. I always eject properly via Calibre.

Here is my crash.log file. Anyone have any insight on what to do next? Delete/uninstall/remove and reinstall something I assume, but would love to know what specifically so I don't further bork the Kobo (Clara).
hamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:26 AM   #524
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I suspect you're still missing the files. The easiest/safest method is probably to fully delete .adds/koreader and to reinstall.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #525
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, the order in which you do things is important: if you fix the config *after* the fact, Nickel will *delete* the "hidden" files it previously indexed.

That breaks KOReader/Plato.

TL;DR: Yep, a reinstall will fix it.

Tags
kfmon, kobo, koreader, plato