Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #3706
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
bunjibear
just go a haed and install Analogus ZORK Edition like any other update, no need to remove anything.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #3707
bunjibear
bunjibear began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & PRS350 -Kindle Fire HD
Mark, thanks will give it a try
bunjibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #3708
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
RE: PDFs on Sony reader:

a) does acrobat pro turn makes scanned pdfs searchable?
b) has anyone who's on linux tried http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/ ?
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #3709
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
imageraw:

a) yes, if you push the right buttons in Acrobat. Look for 'OCR' there...

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #3710
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
Thanks Analogus for your prompt feedback.
Have now to consider setting up Acrobat on Linux somehow - maybe through Wine. Will be trying option b) first+ report back.
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #3711
lemko
lemko began at the beginning.

Device: prs650
I am experiencing huge power drain on my 650 as well, most of the magic seems to happen during sleep mode.
After purging everything in /opt{0,1} and reinstalling 2.0 it seems to be working fine again.

basically weird stuff started to happen few weeks after installing 2.1, it could drain whole battery overnight,
I flashed back to original Sony firmware and formatted internal memory and sd card, didn't test it though, because vanilla firmware is just unusable :x

then i installed analogus custom 2.1 and it still drained my battery, untill found someone posted it's related to the custom suspend/turn off time option and just disabled power management. suprisingly, apart from occasional forgetting to turn the device off it got much better.

then while after getting newer revision it started to drain in roughly 24hours disregarding any settings fiddling.

Some of this stuff might be subjective since i have no idea how to debug ereaders and i don't fancy running lots of drain trials on my own battery, newerthless, something's wrong here :x

kthx,

Last edited by lemko; 05-10-2012 at 01:52 PM.
lemko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #3712
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Frankr, lemko!

Regarding excessive battery drain:
You are all doing much magic with installing, this and that version, but have you ever followed the simple request to do a second full shutdown and restart after updating PRS+? A simple soft-reset (the paper-clip-thing) and restart should work too.

Please try this, and report back then.

PS: OTOH Analogus has also a point when stating, that very often bad formated ebook-files are causing the troubles. Even with the Sony Stock FW.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #3713
lemko
lemko began at the beginning.

Device: prs650
Mark Nord,
i'm having issues for almost a month now, and it either turned off by itself overnight or i did, after noticing bars disappearing too fast.

it happened over many different books, and after downgrading i'm still reading one that'd supposedly drain my battery , and it's fine, so it doesn't seem to be the cause imho :x

Last edited by lemko; 05-11-2012 at 09:19 AM.
lemko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #3714
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

lemko:

If your reader turned off overnight I suppose after switching it on the reader now have had it's restart Mark mentioned. No idea from my side...

Concerning books: my observation/suspicion is that it does not matter wether the book is opened or closed or annother book is opened. It just have to be on the reader.

A.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #3715
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Frankr, lemko!

Regarding excessive battery drain...

Analogus has also a point when stating, that very often bad formated ebook-files are causing the troubles. Even with the Sony Stock FW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
lemko:

... Concerning books: my observation/suspicion is that it does not matter wether the book is opened or closed or annother book is opened. It just have to be on the reader.
That is so weird. Does anyone have any clues as to what kind of bad formatting will cause battery drain and how to correct it? Any sort of html/css in particular to look for?

I've never experienced this problem myself, but I'm really curious.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #3716
Analogus
Fanatic

No, I've no glue. In my case I have had just the serious suspiscion that book(s) are the reason:

I used my reader with whatever version of PRS+ --> no battery drain
I copied a couple of books onto the reader --> battery drain over night.
Removed most books --> battery behaviour OK

I suffered that maybe 3 or 4 times.

Another problem was memory corruption:

When using a certain book, on each plug/unplug from PC a message poped up asking to reformat the reader. I copied everything onto the PC, let the memory format and copied back the content --> same message.
When I formatted the memory without copying the books etc. back onto the reader --> no problem. Maybe in this case a too long filename of a thumb could have been the reason.

To make a long story short:

Everytime the reader suffered battery drain or memory corruption after removing most of the books problems vanished. Without removing them problems persist.

A
Old 05-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #3717
sengian
Zealot
sengian doesn't littersengian doesn't litter

Device: PRS-T1;PRS-650;PocketBook Touch Lux 2
Quote:
Everytime the reader suffered battery drain or memory corruption after removing most of the books problems vanished. Without removing them problems persist.
Ok but normally a book by itself should not be able to do anything.
I have the same behavior and honestly I tried everything described here without much success.

Otherwise I am looking to make my custom edition of PRS+, mainly to remove things I don't need. I started by games and I was globally successful but there is still a game directory in Action launcher for Calc.
Could anyone give me a clue as to how remove this one without removing Calc?

Thanks in advance.
sengian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #3718
Analogus
Fanatic

Yes, it SHOULD work that way. But on the other hand - nothing of PRS+ SHOULD do anything in switched off state either. And maybe (just guessing) a part of the operating system is doing something with the book - not the other way round.

In ZORK-Edition I removed the games completely. If you suffer the battery-drain-problem this will not help I presume.

How did you remove the games?

Last edited by Analogus; 05-12-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #3719
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Yes, it SHOULD work that way. But on the other hand - nothing of PRS+ SHOULD do anything in switched off state either. And maybe (just guessing) a part of the operating system is doing something with the book - not the other way round.
There is a problem with that approach. If the book is wrong and it is messing with the ereader, changing PRS version should not affect, and it affects. I don't know the problem, I don't have it, but I know people who has it, and going from 2.1 to 2.0, without changing books, has solved the problem.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #3720
Analogus
Fanatic

If that's the case your are right.
Did this people change back to the 2.1-version again? I would do that to be sure PRS is the root of the error.

The battery-drain I suffered where not a total loss of energy but a 1/3 -loss over night. So maybe that's another thing.
To me power-drain seems to occur mainly on PRS650-readers, not on 350.

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 05-12-2012 at 04:38 AM.