Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah it is, but I though it was a good idea, so I copied it All the calibre dependencies on my system are hand compiled using the attached scripts.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:37 AM   #17
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Has there been any progress on this project?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #18
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Unfortunately, not much - while I've built some Mac apps over the years, Calibre is actually a port from Linux and depends on being able to correctly build 15-20 different components from different sources, each of which is having problems with Snow Leopard.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #19
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
How far have you got with getting a baseline build (and do you have anything to help with getting an OSX development setup)?

I saw the scripts.zip but there didn't seem to be anything documenting either the ordering or the sources?

(I'm suspecting that there's a lot of assumed knowledge, whereas the last serious Unix dev I did was on Ultrix & OSF/1 so have forgotten almost all of it! Java's Maven means I've sidestepped all of that for years!)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #20
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Yes - figuring out the order things have to be built in has also been a challenge, the set of scripts Kovid sent me include 19 different open source packages that you have to find, download and build.
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #21
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With that number of dependancies, I was wondering what mileage there might be in seeing if using macports would help pull things together?
Old 09-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I gave up on macports back when I was first setting up the calibre build VM as I found that I couldn't quite get things to build exactly as I wanted them, particularly with regards to universal builds. Things have improved since then (this was nearly two years ago) and if you use 10.6 you dont even need universal builds.

Basically, the first few things you need to build are

expat
freetype
fontconfig
libjpeg
libpng
libreadline
python
Qt
sip
PyQt

after that it mostly doesn't matter (I think)
Old 09-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #23
mwheinz
award-winning bozo

Yup - and, actually, I'm trying Macports again, because I can't seem to get a working python-26 build. The 32-bit version finished, but it would drop core with a bus error as soon as I ran it - still not getting readline linked in correctly, I think.

The problem is that this really is very much a when-I-have-a-spare-moment kind of thing for me.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

note that readline is not really essential (only calibre-debug) uses it. You can edit the python build scripts to just disable building readline (or just install libreadline, in which case they will automatically not build readline)
Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #25
teeljay
teeljay began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Man! I just love it when they talk tech! Don't understand a word of it, but it sounds cool!
teeljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #26
mwheinz
award-winning bozo

Okay, I'm posting this in public, but I'm also going to send a private message to Kovid - I've been unable to get a complete build of all the things calibre needs to work in Snow Leopard and I'm unable to dedicate more time to the effort due to a combination of my day job and night school.

Sorry for getting people's hopes up; the best solution I've been able to find is to run a Linux distro inside Vmware or Windows via Bootcamp. I'll keep poking at it, but I can't justify spending more than an hour or two a week on it.

BTW - the problem is not Calibre itself, the problem is that Calibre depends on many different packages that are native to Linux. Ports for these packages exist for Mac OS-X, but the change from 10.5 to 10.6 seems to have caused a cascade of problems that have yet to be resolved.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #27
gwynevans
Wizzard

Do you have anything in the way of scripts or such-like that might help with setting up an OSX build environment, beyond the ones in the thread from kovid?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #28
mwheinz
award-winning bozo

Nope. Sorry - I was working with Kovid's scripts, and with trying to use "standard" Macports versions. In each case I would get to a point where the things needed for the next step would not build or link correctly.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #29
GreatBear
GreatBear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony Reader
Don't sweat it. I'm grateful you tried. Calibre's working fairly well under Rosetta for me; it crashes once & again, but not nearly so much as it did. I can't complain.
GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote