Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-21-2023, 04:25 AM   #1
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for the Extra data files (minor remark)

I just saw in changelog that Calibre now supports Extra data files for the book. That realy neat, thanks.

I had experimented with this before, but when I saw that Calibre was deleting this kind of little extra, I quickly gave up. It was a pity, because there was a possibility to have cool stuff if it was possible, but after reading a lot on the forums "Calibre Library folder is a Balckbox, don't play inside" I could understand if Calibre was ruthless and I didn't bring up such a minor idea.

But now, is here, Yes

I have just one remark:
Currently, it is not possible to quickly know if a book contains some extra data files through the GUI (you have to either open the folder or do a "Check the library").
So it would be nice to have a small indicator/notification of this, perhaps even their numbers... but maybe it would have too much negative impact on the performance (I tried a trick to get the size of the covers in a CC, it was disastrous). Perhaps by reducing the scope to only the currently selected book, rather than scanning the entire library (as is the case for cover).
An idea.

Thanks again.

Last edited by un_pogaz; 04-21-2023 at 04:38 AM.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Making that status generally available means filesystem access which is very slow. It can of course be done in book details for the current book but I dont know how useful that is.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2023, 05:05 AM   #3
Mycroft88
Mycroft88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Curious, what types of extra data files would you like to attach to a book?
Mycroft88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 05:08 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...bfa47e4d296968

you now have a link that shows up in the book details panel in the Path entry for books that have data files.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:45 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft88 View Post
Programming books often have 'attached code', text books have 3rd party study guides.

@un_pogaz You could do something like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-21 192431.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	201153

I have this in my Links Column

Code:
<p><a href="file:///D:/Calibre/Libraries/Test/Anat%20Admati/The%20Bankers'%20New%20Clothes%20(159)/data/"><span style="color: #9e7852">Attachments</span></a></p></
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2023, 06:08 AM   #6
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Back cover, other edition cover, some of my book come with additional files (it's rare, but it will be very convenient to group them inside the library). Probably other ideas will come now that its possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Here: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...bfa47e4d296968

you now have a link that shows up in the book details panel in the Path entry for books that have data files.
Thanks.
Oh, I didn't see that the extra data files need to be a specific /data/ sub-folder (but hey, I'm a monkey, I just put the files at the root of the book folder). Noted.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:09 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@un_pogaz You could do something like this.

Attachment 201153

I have this in my Links Column

Code:
<p><a href="file:///D:/Calibre/Libraries/Test/Anat%20Admati/The%20Bankers'%20New%20Clothes%20(159)/data/"><span style="color: #9e7852">Attachments</span></a></p></
BR
Doesn't the link that Kovid added in the above commit do this job? The "Data files" link is there only if the book has extra files.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	201154  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:09 AM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
@Mycrost - I think I will use it for alternate book covers.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:13 AM   #9
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Doesn't the link that Kovid added in the above commit do this job? The "Data files" link is there only if the book has extra files.
Does this check for presence of files, or just the presence of the folder (even if empty)?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:15 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Does this check for presence of files, or just the presence of the folder (even if empty)?
If the 'data' folder exists and contains anything (files or folders).
Old 04-21-2023, 06:27 AM   #11
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yay, I can safely keep the photoshop files for the covers, book images and back covers I have edited and fixed. Some of these covers I have put in many hours of work to recreate.

I lost a whole heap of them a couple of years ago after I fixed some author names and I had no idea that Calibre was moving folders and discarding unknown files
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:34 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
But that's a fortnight away

Besides, I have the file:/// URLs referencing "D:\Calibre\Libraries\<library>\!Attachments\[nnnnn] <author> - <title>" in the Links columns. As I migrate the content of the folders in !Attachments to data folders in the book folders, I'll replace what's in Links with "D:\Calibre\Libraries\<library>\<author>\<titl e> (nnnnn)\data".

BR
Old 04-21-2023, 07:48 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Is it okay to add subfolders to the book/data folder

BR
Old 04-21-2023, 08:05 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

BR
Kovid should give the definitive answer, but it is clear that the code supports it. The contents searched and moved recursively.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:06 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:

BR
Yes, they should be preserved and work with save to disk etc. though to be honest I havent tested every edge case in that thoroughly. so try it and see