Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Mobileread Anthology

There was some excitement a while back over the idea of all the MR authors to get together and create an anthology of original fiction for all the MR readers.

There were several MR Authors that were interested in the project and so, it's time to make it official.

In a perfect world, I'd like EVERY author on MobileRead to contribute something. But, we don't live in a perfect world.

But, for those of you that come on here once in a blue moon to advertise your work for free or profit, here's your chance to give back to the community that supports you.

Our first anthology is entitled "Got Poe?" and will be based on or inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's works.

This is a free project that will be released under a creative commons license and hosted here at MR. For those of you interested in the concept, please post a message here or PM me.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Guidelines reposted.
Quote:
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Who may submit works: Anybody and everybody.

For purpose of this anthology, all works will be licensed under creative commons/non-commercial

Length: Up to 10,000 words. While I'd prefer all submissions to be in the range of 1500 - 6000, I can understand if people need to go shorter or longer. This should give you ample room to tell your story.

Genre: Any, as long as it's inspired by Poe.

Submissions will close April 10, 2010 at midnight EST.

Payment: None.

Please, no gratuitous sex and violence that has no bearing on the story. No racist or other bigoted stories. No child, animal, or inanimate object sex (consensual or not)

In short, use common sense.

Please email or PM all submissions in either RTF or DOC format. Include MR Anthology in the header.

In your submission please include pen name(or user name), acknowledgements, and whatever contact information you want (Got a new book out? Link to it. A blog? Same deal.)

Email address to send correspondence is my username at yahoo.
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
This sounds like a great idea, jaxx, and I hope you get lots of submissions

I can't participate, sorry. Too much work, too little energy, and I'm desperately trying to get one ebook finished. Failing miserably atm, but that's another story :roll:
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'm interested - but I'm not a published author...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Aren't you forgetting a certain saga involving a spotted dick pudding recipe, published on this very forum, Am?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Pfft! and Pshaw! You are published! Right here! (Besides all that, your stuff is infinitely more interesting than most of what passes as 'published' these days).

EDIT: And I'd like to add that I look forward to yours and the other tales of the lounge more than any crappy Stephen King or Dan Brown work. The tales born from the lounge, whether collective or individual, are full of character and charm and experiments that the 'professional' writers stopped making a long time ago.

Last edited by Moejoe; 03-07-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard

Oh Am. You're so silly. I can't do a whole anthology with just starrigger
The majority of the authors in MR are (un)published. That's the whole fun of it.
Everyone who is a member of mobile read can submit something!!

And should!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Aren't you forgetting a certain saga involving a spotted dick pudding recipe, published on this very forum, Am?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Pfft! and Pshaw! You are published! Right here! (Besides all that, your stuff is infinitely more interesting than most of what passes as 'published' these days).
Erm
Old 03-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My story is done, just waiting for someone to get back to me about an edit
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Erm
No erms about it. There's a lot of writers on here who I believe are shying away from writing more because they don't think they're good enough, or maybe they haven't got the confidence, well I believe all of those writers are good enough, and not just that, but better than the vast majority of published work out there.

There's a saying about the quiet ones being the most interesting at any party, and the loudest are always the ones with nothing to say. That's the writing world at the moment. The shameless self-promoters, the hucksters and the shills shout loud but they really have nothing to say apart from 'buy my product', whereas all the interesting stuff is given up for a lack of courage. The most personal and beautiful fades to a whisper as the dullards shout louder and louder.

Don't give up, and never think you are any less for lack of a publication credit (which amounts to nothing more than a badge of sameness).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
jaxx6166
Wizard

Am will be submitting something.

Right Am?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
There's a lot of writers on here who I believe are shying away from writing more because they don't think they're good enough, or maybe they haven't got the confidence, well I believe all of those writers are good enough, and not just that, but better than the vast majority of published work out there.
Now that is something I agree with (I just don't always (or even often) count myself in that number )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Am will be submitting something.

Right Am?
Yups

If I can settle on one idea, that is. Or if I can get the several that are flying around in my head to mesh...
Old 03-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:

EDIT: And I'd like to add that I look forward to yours and the other tales of the lounge more than any crappy Stephen King or Dan Brown work. The tales born from the lounge, whether collective or individual, are full of character and charm and experiments that the 'professional' writers stopped making a long time ago.

Moejoe, feedback time. I have been writing in a particular style, a short choppy style, rather like somebody reading a detective's notes. Because of what I'm trying to do, lots of tradition scene and backdrop information is left out (or included in the Concordance). Is the result readable enough, or should I expand the backdrop information. Constructive feedback is appreciated.

I nickname the style as micro-novels.

As to the MR anthology, I have nothing against being in it...but, frankly, Poe does nothing for me. Never has. If there is something I can fit in, I'll join up.

I could provide a Title... A Pig in the Poe

Last edited by Greg Anos; 03-07-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Moejoe, feedback time. I have been writing in a particular style, a short choppy style, rather like somebody reading a detective's notes. Because of what I'm trying to do, lots of tradition scene and backdrop information is left out (or included in the Concordance). Is the result readable enough, or should I expand the backdrop information. Constructive feedback is appreciated.

I nickname the style as micro-novels.

As to the MR anthology, I have nothing against being in it...but, frankly, Poe does nothing for me. Never has. If there is something I can fit in, I'll join up.
Poe did write three detective novels (Murder in The Rue Morgue, Purloined Letter and Mystery of Marie Roget). It would be interesting (I think) to read a Poe-style detective story done in your style...
Old 03-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #15
jaxx6166
Wizard

I've been writing in chop for a while now. I think it works for me, but my most trusted beta reader did not approve. At all. I think it mostly depends on the way things are done and the tone. There's certainly a couple of sentences that I could have combined and so forth.

But that, my friends, is the job of an editor. And I'm a terrible self editor.

Ralph, our original idea was for Sherlock Holmes, but we found out that Holmes was not PD in the USA. So, we went with the next best thing, the inventor of the detective novel

Last edited by jaxx6166; 03-07-2010 at 08:53 PM.