Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Cannot reduce window size on macOS

I have a pretty low-stakes problem: at some point I maximized my Sigil window, and now I'm unable to reduce it again. When I try, it just snaps right back. Is there a setting somewhere that I can unset for this?
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hmm ... I have not seen that. Typically having it open full screen and moving your mouse to the top left corner pops up the menu to escape full screen. Once you have done that immediately have sigil do a save-file as to someplace and close. athis should force Sigil to overwrite the sigil settings file that saves if it was fullscreen or not.

If that does not fix it, Close and exit completely out of Sigil (all Sigil main windows) and I can tell you which line to edit manually in the Sigil.ini file to tell it you do not want fullscreen.

You should not need to do that but ...
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not actually fullscreen, just maximized. So a huge window, but the macOS menu bar is still visible and I can take it into and out of "real" fullscreen, I just can't achieve anything smaller. I also can't drag it to another display--when I release it, it just goes right back where it started.

If there's a line in the ini file that would help, I'd love to try it! But again it's not a huge deal. I've been using it that way for a pretty long time, just today I figured heck--might as well ask.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is strange. There are two settings, Maximized and FullScreen but on macOS Qt when you told it to Maximize, it went to Full Screen. Perhaps that has changed.

With Sigil closed, take a normal text editor and edit your "sigil.ini" file (AFTER MAKING A BACKUP COPY FOR SAFETY).

You can find that file in /Users/YOURUSERID/Library/Application\ Support/sigil-ebook/sigil/

The settings group is called "mainwindow".

Look for two settings under that group and change them both to false.

maximized
fullscreen

Then save that file, and fire up Sigil and you should now be able to resize it.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:01 PM   #5
phillipgessert
Addict

That did the trick! Thank you so much. In case anyone else comes across this, the problem was with the maximized value.
Advert
Old 04-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
A can't recall if macos has a similar functionality, but on Windows, you need to "Restore Down" a maximized Window before you can resize it. The "Maximize" button toggles between Maximize and Restore Down functionality depending on the current state of the Window. Probably not relevant, given that you seem able to resize the Window--it just doesn't stay that way--but I wanted to throw it out there just in case.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:43 PM   #7
phillipgessert
Addict

The closest we have on macOS is probably double-clicking anywhere at the top of the window. That toggles between "very large" and "whatever you started with" ordinarily--but even that didn't work til I made that ini adjustment. Thanks as always for the powerful tool!
Old 05-21-2024, 03:39 PM   #8
noteon
Enthusiast
noteon is on a distinguished road

Device: Many
Not sure whether to start a new thread or not, but:

I have this problem with Sigil 2.02 and Sigil 2.1 on MacOS 13.6.2, and editing the Maximized and Fullscreen values doesn't fix it. Fullscreen was already False, and Maximized resets to True by itself. I also can't move the window onto my second monitor, and disconnecting the second monitor doesn't change anything.

I've edited the .ini before installing 2.1 and also after installing 2.1. Same result both times: "True" keeps reinstating itself as the Maximized value.

EDIT: Deleting the .ini entirely and having Sigil build a new one on restart solved it.

Last edited by noteon; 05-21-2024 at 03:46 PM.
noteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:50 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I can not reproduce this on my macOS machine.
Are you sure you are editing the sigil_v6.ini file and not the old sigil.ini file used before Qt6?

You have to edit that file with all Sigil Main Windows closed and Sigil NOT running. Once you edit the sigil_v6.ini file and fire up Sigil you must immediately shrink the Window down to normal size. Then exit Sigil one more time so that it saves the new Window geometry in the ini file.

I will look into what Qt has done that makes this stuck on Maximized or Full Screen happen.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:53 PM   #10
noteon
Enthusiast

Yes, editing sigil_v6.ini, and can also see that file's modified date changing when Sigil writes to it.

Sigil was not running when I edited it.

I could not shrink the window. It snapped back when I tried.

It's solved now that I deleted it entirely and Sigil rebuilt it. Some kind of permissions thing?
Old 05-21-2024, 04:09 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've run into corrupted geometry data on Windows and Linux before. That would be my guess.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:12 PM   #12
noteon
Enthusiast

I did notice Linux problems in another thread, and deleted the geometry line. Sigil rebuilt it and the problem persisted.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:12 PM   #13
noteon
Enthusiast

I also noticed mention of a second monitor, which is also my setup. FWIW.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:08 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I can now recreate this on my mac, by the following sequence ....

1.launch Sigil
2. click on green button to go full screen
3. move mouse to title bar and hit the green button again to exit full screen
4. Sigil starts to return to normal but grows to become maximized and can not be resized.
5. Even using option+green button to leave maximized state fails.

I will try to trackdown what on earth Qt is doing.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:11 PM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

To rectify remove maxsize, fullscreen, maximized, and geometry from sigil_v6.ini