Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Empress Dowager Cixi by Jung Chang

This is the MR Literary Club selection for September 2014. Whether you've already read it or would like to, feel free to start or join in the conversation at any time! Guests are also always welcome.

GoodreadsKoboAmazon AUAmazon CAAmazon UKAmazon US

So, what are your thoughts on it?

sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I didn't vote. I just want to get this out there because in anther thread, where I justifyied big publisher prices as needed to fund research for books such as this, my liking for Chinese history wasn't overly popular.

I do notice than the Kindle US price is about 2 1/2 times that in the UK.

Getting to the actual book I am starting to re-read, some of it you may have to take on faith in Jung Chang (not spiritual faith, just faith than she is reasonably using sources). Is it really certain that Cixi (or whatever her real/original name was) loved her Ministry of Punishments father? I just accept it as plausible and proceed.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 09-09-2014 at 06:24 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
I'm delighted that you are joining this discussion, Steve.

The book is available on Overdrive where I borrowed a copy.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
hm, I am a bit surprised that the Empress Dowager has won. For some reason I thought Samuel Pepys would win....
But I voted for the Empress, so I am glad. Several years ago I read the book Wild Swans of Jung Chang and was very impressed by her talent, both for historical research and storytelling.
Spoiler:
and I visited Xin Jiang and Being in China last year. Also the Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Confucius Temple and all. That is quite another story though, but it provided me with the 'couleur locale' for these books about Chinese people.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here is an interesting interview with Jung Chang. It was before she wrote Empress Dowager Cixi so no spoilers.
http://app.dundee.ac.uk/pressoffice/...jung_chang.htm

Quote:
When I first arrived in the UK, I was the first person from my province, Sichuan, to gone to the West since the Communists took over, more than 30 years before. She skips a beat. 'There are 90 million people in my province.'
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks for that link Bookworm_Girl - interesting interview.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was looking for an interview that would offer more insight into the author's state of mind rather than reviews of the book. She isn't an historian, and I suspect her life experiences growing up in China influence her writing style as well as her research methods and how she approaches her subject.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
She isn't an historian, and I suspect her life experiences growing up in China influence her writing style as well as her research methods and how she approaches her subject.
Her PhD is in linguistics, but I think a great many university history departments might hire her. She's just as much of a historian as the late Fawn Brodie, another self-trained biographer whose books I like and who, if I can say it without too much risk of caning, also got a bit of help from an academic husband:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawn_M._Brodie

Re Chang's writing style, I wonder if any interviewer has asked her why she writes in English.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

I just tried checking to see if this is, in Chinese translation, banned by mainland China. It may be too early to tell.

As best as I can determine, it just came out in traditional Chinese (used in Taiwan and Hong Kong) this month:

http://www.taaze.tw/static_act/201409/cixi/index.htm

I can't find an edition in the simplified Chinese used in Singapore and mainland China. Is there anyone here who knows enough Chinese to check?
Old 09-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

All I could find on the internet was that she was working on a Chinese translation to be published in Taiwan and Hong Kong. When asked if this book would be her first to be published in Mainland China her response was that she doubts it will be because they won't want to "raise her profile." A less controversial author and it probably would be "fine" as she put it.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:34 AM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Just started rereading this book. It is rather an exciting read, but an indepth review will have to wait. I have been and am very busy at the moment.
Spoiler:
There are some cultural events these weeks. I assisted at the Open Monuments Day last weekend. This weekend is the commemoration of Operation Market Garden-in which 70 years ago our town Nijmegen played a part-and I helped to design/plan the exhibition of the Collection Second World War of the Regional Archives and present their collection of war- posters which I manage/inventarize etc.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I hope your cultural events go well, desertblues. What an interesting job you have!

I am really enjoying this book. Having studied Chinese history from 1644 to about 1950 at University, I certainly had a negative impression of the Empress Dowager - hanging on to power at all costs, hating foreigners, etc. So this book is very interesting in giving such a different "take" on her. To start with, she must have been quite extraordinary to be able to engineer the coup after the Emperor died and had appointed the eight people who were going to be so disastrous for the Empire.

I'm being rather slow in reading it too - it's Spring here and there's lots of activity among the birds, which I like to get out to see and photograph!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Swan and cygnets, Mill Park Lakes.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	128663  
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I'm slow in reading too this month. I'm finding the book to be a fascinating read and the writing is well-paced. I know very little about Chinese history so I didn't have any preconceived notions. Therefore it's very educational to me.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I got off to a good start, but had a lapse for various reasons. Finally got back to Iit and am now at 200 pages in.

Last edited by bfisher; 09-22-2014 at 12:09 PM. Reason: removed spoiler
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #15
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Started listening to the audiobook a few days ago and I'm enjoying it even more than I was expecting to. The writing style is very vivid and engaging, and the narration by Pik-sen Lim is very good.

My (vivid) lasting mental image of Cixi is from the film The Last Emperor of China, when she was very old and the scene and her styling were very dramatic. Besides that I didn't know much about Cixi except for some general tidbits, so I'm finding it very interesting not only to find out about her but about many aspects of 19th century China, especially among the royals and upper class.

The same film has also made it very easy for me to picture more intimate locations from the Forbidden Palace, such as when the sexual procedures for the emperor were mentioned regarding his bedrooms, and there were similar scenes in similar (the same?) bedrooms in the film. On a side note, I never even knew about this "hunting lodge" where Cixi's husband died!

And on a very side note, listening to the book, I can't help but notice that her name is pronounced very similarly to Cersei from Game of Thrones, and I wonder if she was an inspiration for Martin, as their names and certain aspects of their positions are very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
...Getting to the actual book I am starting to re-read, some of it you may have to take on faith in Jung Chang (not spiritual faith, just faith than she is reasonably using sources). Is it really certain that Cixi (or whatever her real/original name was) loved her Ministry of Punishments father? I just accept it as plausible and proceed.
I agree with this; there are many small assumptions on the author's part throughout. This sort of thing normally makes me wary in factual non-fiction, but before voting I'd read a sample and didn't find it bothersome. I think her skill at writing an engaging story and her thorough research more than make up for it - or, at least, that's what I think from the part I've gotten through so far anyway.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote