Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
paulchops
paulchops began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite II
Using Wifi as simple web browser

I have an application where a field tech working in the sun needs a simple device to view a "local" web page used for setup and tuning of a "radio" such as Ubiquiti or Cambium / Motorola subscriber modules that is accessed indirectly through WiFi.

I had heard about someone hacking a PaperWhite to do just that. I also see that Amazon has an experimental browser that apparently is clunky to use.

Does hacking a PW 2 give a different browser experience other than "clunky"?

the usage is pretty basic, but the user needs to enter IP address information, customer name, etc. into a web page.

Is PW 2 with or without a hack a good fit?

Where can I find information about how to go about the hack if that is required?

Thanks!

Paul
paulchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't know, you'd have to test the page in your browser.

I do know that hacking will allow you to install the skipstone broswer or midori, both of which I find better/more comfortable to use than the builtin one for numerous reasons (which may or may not have any bearing on your specific need).

You could also install kterm (terminal emulator) available on the same site as skipstone, the same page has elinks (terminal browser) bundled for the Kindle OS, which may or may not be useful, or cURL which is definitely on my kindle (although for all I know, it was one of the hack I use which installed it).
You might also want to see what can be done using remote connections e.g. via ssh (there is a USBNetwork hack which can be configured to use over WiFi).

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-07-2014 at 09:54 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You don't need a hack to use the browser. Just turn on wi-fi, and go to the experimental browser, and enter the URI that you want (or IP address). Whether the browser will support the page well will have to be determined.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:00 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You don't need a hack to use the browser. Just turn on wi-fi, and go to the experimental browser, and enter the URI that you want (or IP address). Whether the browser will support the page well will have to be determined.
OP is asking whether the experimental browser he knows about is likely to support the page well.

Which is why I offered a list of alternatives just in case.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
paulchops
paulchops began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite II
Thank you everyone
paulchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert