Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2024, 05:54 AM   #16
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Libra Color, Nxtpaper 11
Well, no need for apologizing. I did not expressed clearly what I was doing, to begin with.
In short: The intention was to make "known" colors appear on the KLC and investigate how they looked on the real KLC display.
That to choose the right blue color to make the document links stand out as they are hardly noticeable. (and you must encode them otherwise they are by default black, which was another finding)

So I hacked a quick and dirty HTML-page to display several most used and known colors by their "official" names to make it reproducible. In real life I use color-codes and names where and when it suits me best.
So my finding was that one of the "official" color names was not recognized by the KLC. And that goes for EPUB and KEPUB.

My other finding is that the real rendering on the KLC screen is lacking distinction as most blue (darker) colors for instance look very the same. But that was expected (there is a reason why I choose actually the TLC Nxtpaper 11 for my colored documents )

Last edited by DrChiper; 06-14-2024 at 05:58 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 06:15 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
My other finding is that the real rendering on the KLC screen is lacking distinction as most blue (darker) colors for instance look very the same. But that was expected (there is a reason why I choose actually the TLC Nxtpaper 11 for my colored documents )
Totally predictable.
1. Only 14 grey levels between black and white.
2. Printed R G B dots deliberately don't cover pixels so as to make it not so dark as Triton, and not pastel dots (because no doubt it's standard filter print ink), and the "not covering the pixel" allows them to weasel that it can do 300 dpi mono (nut not like a real 300 dpi mono, a misleading claim by almost all Kaleido screen based ereaders).

So both less saturated pale shades and less saturated dark shades can only be very poor. Inherent to using a mono eink panel and attempt to have it brighter and almost 300 dpi for mono by using dots that don't cover pixels.

I might get one S/H at €50 eventually out of curiosity. I'd like a Nxtpaper 14 or Nxtpaper 14 pro, but they seem unobtainable.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:34 AM   #18
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, Kobo themselves seem not believe in their colors either. Because, hey, this is a Color ereader, but where are the colors? Besides the startup screen, home-screen and selected icons coloration (bottom homepage) NOWHERE is colorization actually used. The whole ereader experience should sparkle with color usage, but now it is just as any B&W ereader. At least for instance the statistics screen could make use of color. But no, its the user who must provide the colors by uploading according color EPUBs. And it seems that they even must update these sometimes to get those colors really shown.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:46 AM   #19
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
The whole ereader experience should sparkle with color usage...
Oh, be careful what you wish for. Just imagine color everywhere. Imagine how some would gripe about that. Imagine the demands customization options.

Whew! It's a bag of worms.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:09 AM   #20
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Just imagine color everywhere.
Well, I'm living in a colorful world. And I hope you too. GUI usage dictates the user is in control and can adjust it to his liking, as far it is technically permittable. Claiming color implies providing means to control it.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:34 AM   #21
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Claiming color implies providing means to control it.
That would be very nice. But I don't think the current Kobo software allows that kind of control. Maybe it does; I don't have one yet.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 05:12 AM   #22
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Well, Kobo themselves seem not believe in their colors either. Because, hey, this is a Color ereader, but where are the colors? Besides the startup screen, home-screen and selected icons coloration (bottom homepage) NOWHERE is colorization actually used. The whole ereader experience should sparkle with color usage, but now it is just as any B&W ereader. At least for instance the statistics screen could make use of color. But no, its the user who must provide the colors by uploading according color EPUBs. And it seems that they even must update these sometimes to get those colors really shown.

The boot screen has colored leaves, though I can’t say it’s a stunning use of color. The reader menu in a book shows the color of the pen. The selected tab at the bottom is usually colored red, and the tabs in My Books are also colored red. Corporate icons in More have colors. WHY, IT’S A VERITABLE SMORGASBORD OF COLORS EVERYWHERE LIKE DAUBS OF…no, you’re right. For a color ereader, Kobo’s UI color usage is so restrained as to be invisible. It seems an odd design choice for something they’re marketing as the hottest new thing.

It’s possible that they didn’t want the UI to compete with all those lovely color book covers.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 06:56 AM   #23
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra Colour
Made a photo of the color table on my LC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240615.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	208870  
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 07:31 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
That color chart looks awful. I prefer my Libra 2 for it's lack of color.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 12:12 PM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mostly a GUI shouldn't use colour. But omitting all shades of grey as seems popular in newer GUIs on Android, Windows and Linux is mad. You then can't easily see what to tap on, if things are on/off or selected/deselected, or which is active tab. You need black, white, and 3 shades of grey minimum. Five shades out of the possible 14 is fine.

Colour could be used for active labels (except eink only does dim pastel colours) and dark grey for inactive (assuming a proper non-dark theme).
Old 06-15-2024, 01:06 PM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
And here is a photo via an ancient Alcatel phone of the same HTML in an epub displayed by Okular on an LG 23″ 4K screen, brightness 9, contrast 32

Name:	test-colours-okular.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	208885

I'll do the same in Pocketbook app on the TCL Nxtpaper 11 next.

The screen isn't as matt as the Nxtpaper 2.0, but better than anything in the Apple showroom. You can see the room light reflection on the screen bezel, but not on the screen.

Nearly as good as eink for mono on glare/shine and viewing angle and clarity.

It's sharper and better colour in real life!
Old 06-15-2024, 01:22 PM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Here is Pocketbook App (epub copied by opds from Calibre Content Server) with the test epub on a TCL Nxtpaper 11 badly angled under the room light.
The phone sees more reflection than humans.
Same ancient Alcatel phone on automatic.

Name:	nxtpaper-2_colour-chart.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	208887
TCL Nxtpaper 11 (Nxtpaper 2.0 screen) is at 22% brightness.
(It's fine in full sunlight too).

It's also very much sharper and better colour in real life with no apparent glare.
Old 06-15-2024, 02:16 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Here is Pocketbook App (epub copied by opds from Calibre Content Server) with the test epub on a TCL Nxtpaper 11 badly angled under the room light.
The phone sees more reflection than humans.
Same ancient Alcatel phone on automatic.
Attachment 208887
TCL Nxtpaper 11 (Nxtpaper 2.0 screen) is at 22% brightness.
(It's fine in full sunlight too).

It's also very much sharper and better colour in real life with no apparent glare.
Here it is at same settings, without being almost directly under room light.

Name:	nxtpaper-2_colour-chart_b.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	208891
Again the old Alcatel phone doesn't do sharpness and colour justice.

The paler shades have more colour and the darker shades more differences in real life.

I suppose I could use a better camera.