Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 01:18 AM   #1
ajkessel
Connoisseur
ajkessel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Permanently change MAC address on Libra 2

I've never been able to access WiFi in Marriott hotels from my Libra 2. There is something broken with the portal -- I believe either broken SSL or something with DNS -- that makes it impossible to get through the authentication process. But I've found a workaround -- authenticate with another device, then change the Libra's MAC address to match the other device. I have the following script runnable from Nicklemenu:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
ip link set dev wlan0 down
ip link set dev wlan0 address (MAC here)
ip link set dev wlan0 up
which works fine, but the MAC address seems to reset whenever the WiFi goes to sleep and comes back.

I tried adding a similar line to /etc/udhcpc.d/default.script but it's still not "sticking".

Does anyone know how to make this change permanent, or at least have it take effect whenever WiFi comes up?
ajkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:39 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe you could add a Wi-Fi toggle to NickelMenu that also runs your script?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:07 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, the local library WiFi doesn't work with any ereader (Kindle and Kobo tried). Probably every library in Ireland is using the same stupid web page where you login in with your browser using your library user ID. It ought to be an anonymous local password for the WiFi point. The browser based Wifi authentications are horrible.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:28 AM   #4
ajkessel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Maybe you could add a Wi-Fi toggle to NickelMenu that also runs your script?
That's what I've done, but over time the MAC address reverts and I need to keep re-running the script.

On a standard Linux box, you could permanently set the interface MAC address, for example, in /etc/network/interfaces, but I don't see how to do that on Kobo. I was hoping there was some hook that was run automatically by the device whenever the network interface is brought online or a configuration file like interfaces where the MAC address could be hard-coded.
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Is it possible to change the device that you've used to do the validation to have the Kobo's MAC address; do the validation with that device and just leave the Kobo's MAC address as is?

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #6
ajkessel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Is it possible to change the device that you've used to do the validation to have the Kobo's MAC address; do the validation with that device and just leave the Kobo's MAC address as is?
That was my first thought, but Apple devices (iPhone/iPad) don't allow you to manually set a MAC address without jailbreaking. You can use "private MAC address" which will generate a unique MAC address for each access point, but the device choses the MAC address randomly--you can't specify.

My other device is a Lenovo Carbon X1. You can manually set the MAC address on that, but the NIC forces the first two characters to a certain setting (I think it's 00), I assume to deter improper spoofing, so I can't set it to match the Kobo's default which starts with 58 for me.
Old Today, 02:53 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it may be worth, a compliant randomized MAC address will have the first bit set to 0 (group/local) and the second bit set to 1 (locally administered) in the first octet. Looking at this in hex, the permitted values for the 2nd character in first octet of the MAC address will be 2 (0010), 6 (0110), A (1010) and E (1110) using most significant to least significant for the bits.

So a randomized MAC address will start with x2:, x6:, xA: or xE;.

Microsoft for some reason insists the first character can't be a 0 but iOS and Android both allow that.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
libra 2, wifi