Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Today, 12:01 PM   #76
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Which is why many apps (calibre included) allow you to change the size of the icons and remove the wording.
Which traditionally would be somewhere under the View menu. I really don't want to have to RTFM for simple stuff.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:03 PM   #77
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I actually use icons with no wording on my calibre toolbar - it allows me to stuff more of them there. I'm a heavy calibre user and use most of its features either daily or occasionally, so I need quick access to lots of them. Even so there is not enough space for everything I regularly use, so I've also put some features in the Favorites plugin and the context menu.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:26 PM   #78
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Which traditionally would be somewhere under the View menu. I really don't want to have to RTFM for simple stuff.
It doesn't take any RTFMing to glance at preferences. They're pretty self-explanatory (and are traditionally under the Edit menu in my experience).

In my opinion, there's very little difference between the phrases; "I find it unintuitive," and "can't be arsed to look around at all."

Last edited by DiapDealer; Today at 12:29 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:51 PM   #79
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by codrut_popescu View Post
Î never used Calibre for anything else than DRM stuff because the interface is so unintuitive for me that it's unusable.
I started using Calibre before I had an ebook reader, or any ebooks. I used it to catalog my physical book collection. It was perfect because it's a book manager (thus it understood things like title, author, etc.) instead of a raw database, and I could customize it by adding my own columns.

I still have the physical book information in my current Calibre database, along with all the ebooks.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:52 PM   #80
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
In my opinion, there's very little difference between the phrases; "I find it unintuitive," and "can't be arsed to look around at all."
For me, it is more the user is complaining that it does not work exactly like <insert name of program>.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:54 PM   #81
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It doesn't take any RTFMing to glance at preferences. They're pretty self-explanatory (and are traditionally under the Edit menu in my experience).

Or telling someone to RTFM is a sign that the UI was an afterthought.
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #82
John F
Grand Sorcerer

And FWIW, I think calibre is a great program. Thank you Kovid.
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #83
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, it is more the user is complaining that it does not work exactly like <insert name of program>.
That's true enough. There's also a lot of "why doesn't it work the way I want it to right out of the box?" going around. As if there's one default presentation that would satisfy every single user out there. No customization required.
Old Today, 01:07 PM   #84
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Or telling someone to RTFM is a sign that the UI was an afterthought.
That does not compute. When did the need to glance through a guide/manual become synonymous with some sort failure on the part of the creator of a device/app? Things that come without a manual (or a link to one) piss me off.

A world where everyone could guess correctly (and blindly) about how everything worked might be an interesting one, but it's not the world we live in. Regardless of how many end-users and self-proclaimed UI experts would have us believe it is.
Old Today, 01:12 PM   #85
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Which is why many apps (calibre included) allow you to change the size of the icons and remove the wording.
And even rearrange the Icons or use a Text Only Menu (in some places).
The advantage: No mouse or touch screen needed.

Oh Wait! The last POS I installed, had to have a Picture of the Till, showing how many of each to give as change
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:17 PM   #86
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
And if you hover over a menu item the is CONTEXT HELP on the status bar
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:06 PM   #87
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I find the traditional interface more intuitive: a menu across the top with File, Edit, View, ... and toolbars. Hide the menu across the top with the alt key is also preferable.

Big icons with wording is nice to start, but once you know the app, they just take up space.
Most of the traditional menu structure doesn't apply to this kind of application.

I have got a text menu line on Calibre

Chrome (and derivatives) and Firefox by default have no traditional menu as if your desktop is a phone, but it can be turned on. Unfortunately all the other stupid changes in the GUI can't be fixed on either.

Most people don't correctly use MS Word (before 2007 ribbon or with ribbon) unless they have a proper course, and not the kind given most places that concentrates on all the features rather than How-To Work flow or document types etc. By default it should NOT have the direct formatting controls, but should have a Style browser sub winodow and the Outline/Heirarchy/object browser window. How many users of Word or MS Office know how to open those and have them floating or docked? People use it like a glass typewriter, judging by 100% of the files I receive.

Also people not setting data type on each spreadsheet column. If you can't use a spreadsheet properly the column types and sorts on Calibre will be mystery.

Almost nothing is completely intuitive and most SW and OSes seem to now delight in pointless changes that ignore 30 to 50 years of GUI / UX experience.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alfa, audible book, websites