Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Today, 09:32 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Testing metadata plugboard function

I'm trying to test a metadata plugboard function for formatting author names using author_sort, but I can't see any way of testing it in the metadata plugboard dialog, and the Template Tester plugin only seems to let me process the book title.

There must be a way to do this, so I'm obviously being dim. In the meantime, the only way I can test it is to plug in my device, upload a book, unplug, check the author name, rinse and repeat, which is incredibly slow and tedious.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:27 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
First of all, just to be clear. (apologies if you are trying to accomplish something else)

The metadata plugboard is NOT for manipulating filenames or paths sent to the device. For that, each device (while connected) has a 'Configure' option on the Icon. That is where the FILE (path) template is adjusted

BTW My K4 saved settings in the config folder had this line (I peaked under the skirts)
Code:
# use author sort
# Use author sort instead of author
use_author_sort = False
I sorta remember there was a tickbox on the configuration screen, but I don't see it (no device handy)

Also remember that once a device has connected, that used a snapshot of the Preferences:Plugins entry at that time. Further configurations must be done with the device connected (so you can use the Icons 'Configure')

You also list you have a Kobo and a Kindle.
Those will need individual attention in both places . (There is no OSFA in device settings ) They all do things differently.

OTOH The plugboard is for trickery when the device uses internal metadata for management.

Since My K4 has no Series support, I trick the Title to prefix it with {series-index} -{title}
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:36 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
By Template tester plugin do you mean the builtin template tester?

I'm not sure what you mean by "only seems to let me process the book title." Are you referring to the template tester available from the Metadata plugboard page? If so then you see "fake" information instead of actual book metadata because the current context isn't the book list.

I suggest you test the templates in the main library using the template tester. Select the books of interest, open the tester (I defined the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+T to do that), write/run your template, then check the output. Depending on the complexity of what you are doing you might want to set breakpoints to help test/debug the template.

When happy, either
  • copy the template into the clipboard and paste it into the appropriate plugboard box, or
  • close the template tester with the OK button, open the template tester in the appropriate plugboard box, then right-click and choose "Load template from template tester."
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:14 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
For future reference: I found a way to make the template tester available from template text boxes use metadata from selected books on the library view. The changes have been submitted to Kovid.

Once this change is released you will be able to see real metadata in the template tester available on the Plugboards preferences screen.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata plugboard, testing