Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM   #1
luckybeans
luckybeans began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
How to remove the "Register your Kindle" notification permanently?

I have an older Kindle Paperwhite 3 (5th), and it looks like that the system should not continue to be updated in the future. So I'm planning to use it as a single-function local e-ink reader. The problem is, I can barely get rid of the reminder to register an Amazon account.

I've tried turning off Wi-Fi to skip the setup, but the home screen still shows "Welcome to Kindle" with a "Register your Kindle" button. The most annoying part of it is when I go to the library page, it always has the pop up saying the cloud isn't available, and prompts to register the kindle.

So I decided to try jailbreaking, and I found that the final version of KPW3 firmware can be jailbroken. Is there any software plug-in that can permanently block the registration pop-up notification?
luckybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:56 AM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I don't know what you mean by plugin, but it is possible to convince an unregitered kindle that it is registered.

See this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...87&postcount=3

and this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=193260

It might be good to read the entire thread in case the content or format of the reginfo file have changed over time.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:46 PM   #3
Marek
Zealot
Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PW5
1. get hbctool (pip3 install --upgrade git+https://github.com/bongtrop/hbctool@...e-contribution)
2. get kppmainapp.js.hbc
3. hbctool disasm KPPMainApp.js.hbc KPPMainApp
4. Find "Function<IsDeviceRegistered>" in instructions.hasm
5. Comment out last Call1 (put a ; before it)
6. put "LoadConstTrue Reg8:0" on a new line
7. hbctool asm KPPMainApp KPPMainApp.mod.hbc
8. replace in /app/KPPMainApp/js
9. profit?
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote