Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM   #31
jackm8
Groupie
jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Being able to see the file extension doesn't matter in this case - people don't see kamasutra.epub.exe (it's hidden), they're seeing 'this opens the ebook.lnk.'
Yeah, this makes the most sense to me.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:12 AM   #32
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Seems to me that the ebooks themselves don't contain malware, the archives do. Why should anyone want to run an unknown executable from a random rar archive when they actually wanted an ebook is beyond me, but people are capable of doing some very stupid things.
This makes me worried if sites like Library Genesis could be impacted by this.
MrSlow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:40 AM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I can't imagine why Library Genesis, Z library and others aren't taken down.
They are cheating authors.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:54 AM   #34
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
This makes me worried if sites like Library Genesis could be impacted by this.
Not unless they're uploading RAR files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I can't imagine why Library Genesis, Z library and others aren't taken down.
They are cheating authors.
Hosted in Russia, I think. I think ZLib's domain got seized a few years back but that didn't do much.

Last edited by ownedbycats; Today at 07:58 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:31 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
This makes me worried if sites like <site name deleted>s could be impacted by this.
It's not an issue as those are illegal eBooks anyway. YOu should not be mentioned sites to download illegal eBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All of the posts with the names of these illegal sites should be edited to remove the site names.
Old Today, 12:28 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Relax, Jon. No links have been posted. It's not against the rules to mention things like Pirate Bay (yeah, I'm showing my age!).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:42 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Relax, Jon. No links have been posted. It's not against the rules to mention things like Pirate Bay (yeah, I'm showing my age!).
You and me both. I thought that was the site everyone was hinting about
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:57 PM   #39
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Hosted in Russia, I think. I think ZLib's domain got seized a few years back but that didn't do much.
There are a couple of other Russian-hosted sites with pirate ebooks that do takedowns when requested...booksee comes to mind. I don't know if Library Genesis honors takedowns, but if it does, that might be why it's still up.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:02 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I know no links have been posted, but these sites can be looked up based on the names.
Old Today, 01:10 PM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know no links have been posted, but these sites can be looked up based on the names.
And I explained why we don't care. We can't stop people from looking up sites they shouldn't, and we're not going to try (so long as they're not posting direct links to them).

Now advocating that people should visit and use such sites?? THAT will get you dinged.

Moderator Notice
Please don't reply to my explanation. This is the end of it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote