Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 03:05 PM   #1
Rattyjunk984
Rattyjunk984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara Color
General Calibre Questions

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to e readers and have a few basic questions.

I have various e-books named in various ways and I various folders. I wondered before I fire up Calibre if I could just get a few pointers,

Q1 I understand that Calibre has it's own naming structure.. Will this mean that Calibre will rename and move all my books into a set folder structure within the source folder?

Q2 Owning a new KOBO Clara Colour, what plugins should I be considering adding to my Calibre install?

Q3 Any tips starting out?
Rattyjunk984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:23 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattyjunk984 View Post
I have various e-books named in various ways and I various folders. I wondered before I fire up Calibre if I could just get a few pointers,

Q1 I understand that Calibre has it's own naming structure.. Will this mean that Calibre will rename and move all my books into a set folder structure within the source folder?
Yes, calibre stores books in it's library folder using it's naming convention. Please treat calibre's library as a black box. Also do not store your calibre library on network storage. The comment about using a NAS, cloud service, whatever is "It's not a matter of if your library gets corrupted, it's when it gets corrupted".

Adding books to calibre's library does not move the books so your original copies are left in their directories. An exception is Auto-add which does delete the originals after adding library copies.

Quote:
Q2 Owning a new KOBO Clara Colour, what plugins should I be considering adding to my Calibre install?
I would suggest the KoboUtilities plugin. The KoboTouch driver is part of the basic calibre install. If you want to send kepubs rather than epubs, you can add the KoboTouchExtended driver. The DeDRM plugin is an useful plugin that you will need to add and discuss outside of MobileRead, download the latest from:
https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools...lease/releases.

For your Kobo, I would recommend adding NickelMenu: An integrated launcher for Kobo eReaders.

Quote:
Start using calibre and reading on your Kobo. From that experience you can decide what addons/plugins/patches you want to use.

Last edited by DNSB; Today at 03:26 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:30 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Calibre will create a copy of all your books in it's own location; the calibre library. Your original content will remain wherever it was. Don't make the common mistake of playing around with the files ) folders in the calibre location; accept it for what it is; a database totally managed / controlled by calibre.

Plugins come down to personal preferences. The only one I'd really recommend is the Kobo Utilities, namely because it provides an easy means to backup the database that the Kobo maintains of all content on the device.

Beyond that you enter one of the religious discussion points. Some people feel that they will only read epubs if they have been converted into the kepub format; others are very happy with the Epub format. The difference is the reading engine on the Kobo. Epubs use an older version of the Adobe RMSDK library, while kepubs use an engine whose name I forget but used to be called Access.

If you want kepub then you also require to install the Kobo Touch Extended plugin which will do the conversion on the fly as content is sent to the Kobo.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:33 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
The plugin's that I consider a must have with a Kobo:
ACSM--formerly known as DeACSM--use in place of ADE.

DeDRM --See DNSB post.

Kobo Utilities

I recommend using epub unless the ebook you are reading has epub3 features you like then convert to kepub. I use the Kepub Output plugin.

bernie

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to e readers and have a few basic questions.

Last edited by gbm; Today at 04:37 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote