Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2024, 11:34 PM   #61
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Scribe, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrzok View Post
I have a Clara BW coming today and would like to patch it as i always do. While there are no new patches for the latest firmware I see that some people are patching their devices.

Is it as simple as following the instructions in the latest patch thread while ignoring version numbers? Do I need to rename or otherwise modify the update or patch zips? And lastly, is there any chance of bricking my new device?
I went through that rabbit hole recently and perhaps the following posts can help; these are unofficial releases of working patches for firmware versions 4.39.22861 and 4.39.22801 respectively. If your Clara comes with, or updates to, 4.39.23027 when you set it up, you will have to manually update the version numbers here and there in the yaml files.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:46 AM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghira View Post
Does that happen? I think I waited for that once, gave up, and have never given it serious thought since.
That has worked for me on Windows, Linux and MacOS. As near as I can tell, the eject process momentarily removes power from the USB device which most intelligent devices seem to treat as "I've been disconnected".

For Kobo device owners, this is why the USB connect option from NickelMenu is handy since you can reconnect without having to remove the USB cable.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:17 AM   #63
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
I just ejected my Kobo, forgot I had done it and went and did other things for at least half an hour, I would say. Came back and screen still not back to "normal". So it does seem as though waiting is pointless for some reason at least in my case.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:31 AM   #64
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghira View Post
I just ejected my Kobo, forgot I had done it and went and did other things for at least half an hour, I would say. Came back and screen still not back to "normal". So it does seem as though waiting is pointless for some reason at least in my case.
That's weird because for me the Kobo deviced go to the home screen after ejecting it. It takes about 10 seconds or so. I'm on macOS Sonoma.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:37 AM   #65
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
On Windows, ejecting from the tray will not release the device from the charging screen; you must unplug it first. Ejecting from Windows Explorer will release the device from the charging screen, though. Different ejection methods yield different results.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM   #66
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Ejecting from Windows Explorer will release the device from the charging screen, though.
Ejecting from within Calibre will as well.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM   #67
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
I went through that rabbit hole recently and perhaps the following posts can help; these are unofficial releases of working patches for firmware versions 4.39.22861 and 4.39.22801 respectively. If your Clara comes with, or updates to, 4.39.23027 when you set it up, you will have to manually update the version numbers here and there in the yaml files.
Many thanks. This worked a treat once I saw that the kobopatch.yaml mention the firmware version twice.

I was unsuccessful in applying the increase size kepub chapter progress chart. I got this in the log
Quote:
could not apply patch "Increase size of kepub chapter progress chart": line 672: inst 4: ReplaceZlib: not a zlib stream
I got a similar error for the don't capitalize the header/footer text as well.

I'm running 4.39.23027.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Probably never. You did notice that the 4.38 firmware is 11 builds ahead of the 4.39 firmware? I tend to the belief that the next unified firmware for Kobo ereaders will be a v5 firmware for Kobo and tolino ereaders.
Does that matter as it's the main number 4.38 vs 4.39 that should matter most?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does anyone think that that 4.38.23038 fixes the file open issue?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does that matter as it's the main number 4.38 vs 4.39 that should matter most?

For our purposes the build number is likely the one that matters more.
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does anyone think that that 4.38.23038 fixes the file open issue?
If you are referring to the database not being properly closed before the USB connection is made? If so, I did ~100 cycles of connect, eject/disconnect, read and back to connect without seeing any database corruption being detected. I take that as meaning that we may see an occasional database corruption but the consistent bug that we have seen for the last few firmware releases has been swatted.

Tags
firmware, firmware release