Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-23-2024, 01:21 AM   #2941
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
How the fudge do you explain to people unaware of eInk the answer to "why don't you just use your phone?"
The phone screen is too small for old eyes, it drains the battery and modern phones put ergonomics at the bottom of the design priority list.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 03:51 AM   #2942
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
How the fudge do you explain to people unaware of eInk the answer to "why don't you just use your phone?"
"I enjoy reading on a screen that doesn't make my eyes feel like they're going to explode out of my skull. If this never happens to you, then by all means continue reading on your phone. I'll stick to my e-reader. The battery life is nice, too."
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 06:52 AM   #2943
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Trying to explain the advantages of eInk and I just got a "why would you even read in bright sunlight." Probably wasting my time here.
Those silly questions are funny.

"Why would you even read in bright sunlight?"
Because I like reading AND because I like being in the sun.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 07:40 AM   #2944
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Those silly questions are funny.

"Why would you even read in bright sunlight?"
Because I like reading AND because I like being in the sun.
I wonder why I was never asked that when I was reading paper.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 08:46 AM   #2945
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
You could give a quick thumbnail explanation of e-ink. "It's a screen that looks more like paper."
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 08:56 AM   #2946
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I tend to read cozy mysteries in order too, even though most of them tend to work as standalones. After all, it kind of spoils the "are they the murderer?" in book one when you know that they're still around in book five.
Very well said.

If characters are in danger in one book but fine in subsequent books, then you know nothing really happened.

That's why I say that standalone books in a series are not really standalone. There's going to be something to spoil something else when read out of order.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 08:58 AM   #2947
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yep, I also always read mystery series in order. Often there are developments going on in the protagonists' life across several books, even though the main plot (murder) is standalone.

Of course I read most any series in order, no matter the genre. I just don't get people who read series out of order and don't even care.
Discworld is a good example. Many say they can be read in any order and that's pure BS. I've read most of Discworld and it's not a series that can be read in any order the first go round.
Old 08-23-2024, 10:00 AM   #2948
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
The display doesn't use power when not updated, only on page changes so I can read without loading in-between. better readability in daylight, less weight of the device.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 12:33 PM   #2949
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
modern phones put ergonomics at the bottom of the design priority list.
True, but that has spilled over to "modern" ereaders as well.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 12:44 PM   #2950
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Discworld is a good example. Many say they can be read in any order and that's pure BS. I've read most of Discworld and it's not a series that can be read in any order the first go round.
Strange. I've read many comments saying that they can be read by story arc order (witches, death, ...), but don't recall many comments saying they can be read in "any" order.

I think it is one of those cases of different strokes for different folks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:30 AM   #2951
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
The display doesn't use power when not updated, only on page changes so I can read without loading in-between. better readability in daylight, less weight of the device.
I don't think my phone is heavier than my kindle.

The trend to turn ereaders into bad tablets doesn't really help: lit screens, clumsy touch interfaces. Faster processors to make them more responsive when responsiveness is not much of a plus for eInk and the battery life you just compromised is.

My main reason for reading on a kindle rather than a tablet or phone is so I don't have the latter in my bedroom at night. I don't need those potential distractions when I'm trying to sleep. Or when I'm trying to read, really.

I do read on my tablet and occasionally my phone, but it's always additional reading, never my "main" book.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:34 PM   #2952
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
The trend to turn ereaders into bad tablets doesn't really help: lit screens, clumsy touch interfaces. Faster processors to make them more responsive when responsiveness is not much of a plus for eInk and the battery life you just compromised is.
I don't think any of those things is making an ereader into a bad tablet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:11 PM   #2953
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't think any of those things is making an ereader into a bad tablet.
Yeah. I would take responsiveness over long battery life any time.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:39 PM   #2954
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Strange. I've read many comments saying that they can be read by story arc order (witches, death, ...), but don't recall many comments saying they can be read in "any" order.

I think it is one of those cases of different strokes for different folks.
I think they've all been taken in by the lies. Discworld is meant to be read through once in order and then it's any order after that.
Old Today, 04:42 PM   #2955
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I don't think my phone is heavier than my kindle.

My main reason for reading on a kindle rather than a tablet or phone is so I don't have the latter in my bedroom at night. I don't need those potential distractions when I'm trying to sleep. Or when I'm trying to read, really.

I do read on my tablet and occasionally my phone, but it's always additional reading, never my "main" book.
I have my phone with me in bed for two reasons. One is to charge if needed and the other is in case I get a phone call. My cell phone is how I receive phone call. If my phone was in another room, I would probably not hear it when it rang when I am asleep.

I read on my Kobo Libra 2 for the larger screen, the better eBook management, the lack of distractions, and the better battery life.

My phone is roughly the same weight as my Libra 2.