Notices

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM   #16
Denodan1
Connoisseur
Denodan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by galax View Post
Never in the entire thousands of years of civilization and written evolution has there been 6".

Not only has there not been 6" but for every written page people have been enjoying dual pages for thousands of years.

Until amazon came and by greedy decisions to maximize profits they have forced onto the population an unnatural size for written documents.

The only way 6" could've been saved is by a design of dual screen.

Even then is simply isn't ergonomical for fonts.

Go to any bookstore and compare the font size and page size. Those have the normal content of paragraphs with a pleasent font size.

Put your 6" next to book and see the difference.

6" at a comfortable font size doesn't hold enough content, paragraphs, dialogues, poetry, etc... the way was meant to be.

Is not even useful for single purpose content such a dictionary.

The only useful purpose of 6" is store price tags. LOLOLOLOL!!!

Conclusion 6" it's unnatural size for literature and any documentation meant for humans.

I hope this answers you question as to why '6" is underrated'

bye.

p.s.: 6" should be illegal for reading content.

Not true at all. If you cannot read on a 6" e book reader you need glasses. I have not had any issues reading on my Clara and very clear.

All e readers when they came out were all 6" and not one complained they were hard to read and all the kindles in the 6" line have all got great reviews, so far from the truth what your saying.
Denodan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM   #17
Denodan1
Connoisseur

And yes even in normal books can have small fonts. Its got nothing to do with the size of the book, but the fonts and size they use and some are small and magazines can be even smaller print than a paperback.

The e reader is amazing and the best thing out as you have total control over the size fonts you want.
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There's no such thing as a font size that's pleasant and comfortable for everyone. What's comfortable for one person is too small or too large for another. With paper books we just had no choice and had to accept whatever font size was used, whether we liked it or not. With ereaders, we can use the size we want.
For the font sizes I use, 6" is not too small. While I prefer a 7" Reader, I could easily read on a 6" screen.

The reason the Libra Colour gets all the love is because it's a larger screen at 7". 7" is better for color images and comics. It's not perfect, but the 6" is even worse.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM   #19
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodan1 View Post
Not true at all. If you cannot read on a 6" e book reader you need glasses. I have not had any issues reading on my Clara and very clear.

All e readers when they came out were all 6" and not one complained they were hard to read and all the kindles in the 6" line have all got great reviews, so far from the truth what your saying.
First section: Yes, I DO need glasses! I have needed glasses for most of my life and it's not getting better with age. So what?

Second section:
Not true at all! Many many wished screens were bigger even back then, but had to accept the size we got given. OK, I would rather read on a 6" eReader than a paper book since I can choose a font size that works for me. But given a choice I would prefer a larger screen to have more content on each page. I read by "taking in" more or less a line at a time and for ME a good size page would probably be 8-ish inches but the price tag of those readers are not appealing to me so I settle for 7". Size DOES matter when it comes to reading! Maybe not to you, but guess what, you are not everybody!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Never in the entire thousands of years of civilization and written evolution has there been 6".
Looking at one of my old tête-bêche Ace Doubles (F-237) from 1963, it's paper size is 4.33"x5.51" measuring the outside of the book so ~7.00" diagonal. Sadly, there is a margin on both sides of the page allowing for holding the book and not having text disappearing into the binding. Allowing for those which are approximately .5" on each size and the top and bottom margins, this leaves 3.33" by 4.47" for text for a diagonal of 5.57". A 6" eInk screen is 3.57" by 4.82" active area. Since I tend to use about 2mm left/right margin on my ereaders and minimal top and bottom margins, matching the font size of the Ace double allows me to actually have more text on the screen. An advantage to Kobo ereaders since an ePub with margins set to 0 and the margins slider set to 0 goes from edge to edge of the screen.

Quote:
Much blather deleted...

p.s.: 6" should be illegal for reading content.
Research is a totally underrated skill.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #21
Denodan1
Connoisseur

While a 7" maybe better for comics. Still not ideal, either is tye 6" but still read Graphic novels on my Clara. Still doable. Sure a 7" would be better, but most of the time just read books, but dies not mean you can't read comics
Old Today, 05:15 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodan1 View Post
Sure a 7" would be better,
So you finally admit that 7" is better then 6".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:22 AM   #23
Denodan1
Connoisseur

In ways the 7" is, but for reading is totally fine on the Clara and still read comics on my Clara, but fir Portabilty the Clara is Miles better and with a slightly better battery life. Have had the Oasis, and have rhe kindle 12th Gen 6.8" screen, but still prefer the 6" screen as I find much more comfy for me to hold. Still think for over $100 more the Libra is not worth it. Still all plastic, so not premium.

At least with Kindle the dearer ones like Oasis and 11th Gen 6.8" are better quality than the cheaper kindles

Last edited by Denodan1; Today at 05:25 AM.
Old Today, 05:57 AM   #24
galax
galax began at the beginning.

Device: none
The promise of ereaders are flexibility, portability. But the current crop of 6" at 100$ even 120$ doesn't fullfil that promise by a long shot.

Right now I've picked up some books to compare with 6" and none fit its unnatural size.

There's more than 'But I can zoom the fonts on 6" reader!!'

It's called aesthetics and the millenial tradition of bookmanship, which amazon single handedly destroyed with utter greed for $$ profits.

A book I am holding has the size of a 10" screen and it's meant to be a schoolbook!!

The normal and natural distance with a relax posture for reading goes from 30cm to 50cm.

So there's no way to read comfortably a 6" at that distance without butchering the aesthetics of the book, that is breaking all literature established designs, by, GASPS, making the font buuggerr!!

Lol.

Let's go back to the promise of flexibility, most people who read books are also interested in some other type of information, newspaper, magazine, learning material, comic.

Does 6" inch fit any of those content? Not at all.

So suddenly we have a device that serves single purpose of displaying half paragraph of a story, useless for anything else.

Another example my comics from childhood where at least 13".

My 7.8" ereader barely passes the mark, I have to make a lot of compromises during editing.

We are under a chokehold by greedy regime of companies that are forcing unto us 6" dictatorship.

There's absolutely no way to justify 100$, 120$, 150$ PREMIUM 6" devices because the hardware is the cheapest and lowest specs.

Think about it, no need for expensive audio processing, no need for big amounts of ram, no need for gaming, AV1, 4k decoding, no need for cutting edge GPU.

As you can see, nothing justifies the current prices of 6" ereaders.

Now amazon keeps 6" at 100$ while having, allegedly, modern offering by increasing the screen size a measly 0.8" at 150$!!!

Are you kidding me?? Kobo 7.8" years ago!! After all these years amazon increases screen size by 0.8" only???!!

Bottom line, 6" etag is not good for your grandpa, neither your kids, wife, parents, and you.
galax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:07 AM   #25
Tom8o
Tom8o began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I think what the OP is missing is that the colour Kobos did not spring into existence out of nothing. Both the Clara Colour and the Libra Colour are direct iterations on pre-existing models. Coverage, then, is largely reliant on what changes from the old models to the Colour line. The new Libra has a way bigger screen and has added stylus support - both of which make the shift to colorful Kaleido screens a much more significant step for the Libra (especially when the Libra 2 is now discontinued, meaning the Libra Colour now is Kobo's flagship "slightly premium" device). Besides the possible degradation in contrast and clarity in Kaleido screens compared to Carta screens, the differences between the still-available Clara BW and Clara Colour are largely ancillary (multiple highlight colors, colorful covers), whereas the new Libra has more changes (and the screen changes are even more important on a more expensive device fully replacing a prior option).

As for the argument that 6" screens are too small for literature, I quite disagree. There are many editions of (especially classic) books, particularly poetry, that fit on significantly smaller page sizes just fine. I personally have read a bunch of novels on 6" ereaders and never felt like the experience was somehow fundamentally constrained, even though I very much do prefer my 7" Libra. Trade paperbacks often veer into comparably cramped spacing, in my opinion. Also, I feel one cannot discount that given the sheer variety of page sizes, fonts and page layouts in books, most books cannot really even account for how text will appear on a physical (or digital) page in the first place, so there isn't much that is really lost on a 6" screen, unless you're using a larger-than-average font.
Tom8o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:00 AM   #26
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I have been seduced by the appeal of larger screens and do like the 7" readers. Actually, I think the Aura One was had the best ergonomics of any Kobo device. before or since. *But*, I can very easily make the argument that 6" or even a little smaller, is technically better. Without the thickness of the book being a constraint, keeping line length at less than 60 characters makes it much easier for long form reading. There is an inevitable loss of focus and and eye tracking when switching lines if the line is too long. And, if i'm reading for hours, I will sometimes zone out completely and have to backtrack to re-read whatever I thought I was reading. Again, a small screen and less text in front of me at a time makes this easier and quicker.

Edit: Since I'm near sighted, I read more comfortably with a smaller font size. I know that most people, especially older adults, use e-readers to increase font size, even larger than your typical large print books. 6" would very quickly become too small in that case.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote