Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-09-2024, 09:07 AM   #31
Guido
Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batthews View Post
You do not seem to list my e-reader (Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 5 Signature Edition)? It is similar to the Paperwhite 5 but has 32gb of storage, an ambient light sensor and QI charging.
Hi, it's listed, but I had the name abbreviated as the long name caused some problems before (which I have now fixed). I have changed the name to "Kindle paperwhite Signature Edition" just now (there's only one 'Signature Edition' Paperwhite model as of now).
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 11:33 AM   #32
Batthews
Batthews began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Thanks, I did see it when I had another look, but as you stated it was not immediately obvious.
Batthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2024, 10:47 AM   #33
Debbie
Debbie began at the beginning.

Device: None
Aha, I found the thread where I found your comparison table. I’ll add to the thanks - this tool is extremely informative and helpful!
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 07:07 AM   #34
Guido
Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Guido ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batthews View Post
Thanks, I did see it when I had another look, but as you stated it was not immediately obvious.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out, this is much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
Aha, I found the thread where I found your comparison table. I’ll add to the thanks - this tool is extremely informative and helpful!
Thanks for the compliment, glad you like it!
Old 08-20-2024, 02:36 PM   #35
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hmm, is it just me, or is Tolino missing?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 11:44 AM   #36
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Hmm, is it just me, or is Tolino missing?
It's not just you; I haven't added Tolino (yet), but I might do so later. I've been hesitant to do so because the table is used by a worldwide audience - but Tolino only seems to be available in a select few European countries. I'm not sure how to go about not showing Tolino in the table to some people but not to others - or how else to make it obvious it's not available worldwide.
Another option would be to only do a separate comparison table only for Tolino, for instance like I've done with the separate Kindle comparison table for people only interested in Kindle devices.

If you have any suggestions/input, let me know!
Old 08-21-2024, 03:39 PM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Tolino is mostly Germany.
No ereaders are available entirely world wide. Kindle is the most available. Some are hardly available outside China.
Kobo maybe isn't available in India and that's a lot of people.

USA is less than 6% of the world population.

Add a note or country code.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 03:41 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'd add the Tolino devices to the main table. Quite a few other ereaders are only available outside limited areas unless you take the time and effort to order them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 01:11 PM   #39
Batthews
Batthews began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Their website is a bit misleading? They state that the Shine Colour has a memory of 16gb, but I think they mean it has a storage capacity of 16gb (which it also states)? ��
Batthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 02:25 PM   #40
Frogm4n
Groupie
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
There are many different kinds of memory in computers. RAM is just one type.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 04:07 AM   #41
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Tolino is mostly Germany.
No ereaders are available entirely world wide. Kindle is the most available. Some are hardly available outside China.
Kobo maybe isn't available in India and that's a lot of people.

USA is less than 6% of the world population.

Add a note or country code.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'd add the Tolino devices to the main table. Quite a few other ereaders are only available outside limited areas unless you take the time and effort to order them.
Thanks for the input guys! Will add Tolino to the main table and add a label.

I think the right move is to use the 'Availability' column, which currently only shows whether it's either available or discontinued, and add an additional label to that to indicate regional availability.

For brands that are only available in a few regions, I'll make it this say 'Regional' instead of the normal 'Available', followed by the 2-letter country codes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2) to show which countries they're (mostly) available in (on the next line).

So for Tolino (Germany, Switzerland, Austria), I'll add: DE/CH/AT.

I'll make sure this cell shows up with a yellow background to make it easier to distinguish the difference in availability.

This change also allows me to add some other brands and models that I've held off on before, like the Bookeen Notea (France - FR), Readmoo (Taiwan - TW), and some Chinese models that aren't generally sold internationally (for instance through AliExpress).

Let me know if I'm missing some more country/region specific brands you'd like to see added, and I'll see what I can do!

It will be a while before I can implement all of this though! Especially seeing it'll be a pretty big update and I'm quite busy at the moment.

PS: In the meantime I've added two new models to the table. Firstly, the PocketBook Verse Pro Color, as that is now being sold on Amazon - even though it's still listed as 'Coming soon' on Pocketbook's site. And secondly, the Onyx Boox Go 6, which is newly released today!
Old 08-26-2024, 04:24 AM   #42
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks.

Please add Sweden (SE) to the list for Tolino.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 11:27 AM   #43
Frogm4n
Groupie
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
This change also allows me to add some other brands and models that I've held off on before, like the Bookeen Notea (France - FR), Readmoo (Taiwan - TW), and some Chinese models that aren't generally sold internationally (for instance through AliExpress).

Let me know if I'm missing some more country/region specific brands you'd like to see added, and I'll see what I can do!
Thanks! This will also help for brands that have region-specific models like the China-specific Kindle models and the Russian-specific Boox models along with general International models. I've seen threads from people who research ereaders and get caught up that they are looking at RU-only models while being consumers from the US. Having the Regional distinction will be very handy.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, compare, kindle, kobo, pocketbook