Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2024, 06:55 AM   #46
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

I love the "etc"! Relatively inexpensive personal electronics are not comparable to TVs or domestic appliances. Two years is "reasonable time" for an ereader.

What is so special about a "TV"? TVs can cost less then an ereader. An ereader seams like a simpler device then a TV, so shouldn't it last longer? The only thing that comes to the top of my head is that ereaders rely on a battery, but a Lion battery should last at least 3 years?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 06:58 AM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or if Hermano is in the UK, maybe this applies:

Quote:
... If all else fails, you have six years from when you bought the faulty goods to take a claim to the small claims court and reclaim the cost of repair of the product.
https://www.claims.co.uk/knowledge-b...law/warranties
Old 09-22-2024, 08:15 AM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What is so special about a "TV"? TVs can cost less then an ereader. An ereader seams like a simpler device then a TV, so shouldn't it last longer? The only thing that comes to the top of my head is that ereaders rely on a battery, but a Lion battery should last at least 3 years?
They can cost a lot more than an ereader, too, and I assume a price element. In any case, the OP's had a Forma for about four years, and while I obviously don't know, I can't imagine that the Consumer Rights Act is intended to indemnify purchasers for virtually everything they buy for years beyond the standard two-year warranty. There is that "reasonable" the OP cited and now I'm invoking Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 07:08 AM   #49
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
... I can't imagine that the Consumer Rights Act is intended to indemnify purchasers for virtually everything they buy for years beyond the standard two-year warranty.
I don't know either, but I thought the 6 years part was interesting.
Quote:
... There is that "reasonable" the OP cited and now I'm invoking Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it." ...
Fair enough. I just thought if we are supposed to give the benefit of the doubt before calling someone a pirate, we would assume the same for other things. The OP did say that they contacted Kobo about the problem within 2 years of the purchase date?
Old 09-23-2024, 07:26 AM   #50
foosion
Evangelist
foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara BW
Quote:

Fair enough. I just thought if we are supposed to give the benefit of the doubt before calling someone a pirate, we would assume the same for other things. The OP did say that they contacted Kobo about the problem within 2 years of the purchase date?
The six year protection applies to the retailer selling the product. It's not clear that OP bought from Kobo rather than a store. As noted, what's a reasonable period for an ereader?

The contact mentioned in the OP appears to be beyond the warranty period (the later of two years from original retail purchase and 90 days from warranty replacement). It seems OP got a warranty replacement, but it's now beyond the warranty period.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 07:28 AM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:

No, the OP very carefully said within two years of ownership. The ownership, that is, of the device that was already a replacement under warranty. This thread is a series of posts by the OP using circumlocutions to imply within two years of purchase while avoiding giving the date of actual purchase, despite several attempts to pin him down.

TL; DR: there is no doubt from which to benefit.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 01:14 PM   #52
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, the OP very carefully said within two years of ownership. The ownership, that is, of the device that was already a replacement under warranty. This thread is a series of posts by the OP using circumlocutions to imply within two years of purchase while avoiding giving the date of actual purchase, despite several attempts to pin him down.

TL; DR: there is no doubt from which to benefit.
I'll concede the 2 year warranty question. However if an item is expected to last 6 years, IMO, it shouldn't matter if it was replaced under a previous warranty claim.
Old 09-23-2024, 05:09 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'll concede the 2 year warranty question. However if an item is expected to last 6 years, IMO, it shouldn't matter if it was replaced under a previous warranty claim.
The issue is that if you have your Kobo ereader replaced under warranty, you will get either the remainder of the warranty term or 90 days whichever is longer. You do not get a full 1 or 2 year warranty on the replacement device.

Going by the thread where @Hermano whinged about the lack of speed in Kobo accepting his warranty claim and that there was no message indicating when the replacement device was received...

OTOH, my experiences with Kobo CS have been more like the experience reported in message #4 in that thread.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 05:49 PM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The issue is that if you have your Kobo ereader replaced under warranty, you will get either the remainder of the warranty term or 90 days whichever is longer. You do not get a full 1 or 2 year warranty on the replacement device.
Sure. Like I said.

However, I don't see why an ereader shouldn't last 6 years, excepting the battery.

Quote:
Going by the thread where @Hermano whinged about the lack of speed in Kobo accepting his warranty claim and that there was no message indicating when the replacement device was received...
I'll let you whinge about that.

Quote:
OTOH, my experiences with Kobo CS have been more like the experience reported in message #4 in that thread.
My experience with Kobo in the past was rather poor. It was related to an ereader order, so hopefully there warranty support is much, much better.
Old 09-23-2024, 06:14 PM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
My experience with Kobo in the past was rather poor. It was related to an ereader order, so hopefully there warranty support is much, much better.
As for ereader lasting longer than 6 years? My original Kobo with the Bluetooth interface still works though I replaced the D-pad in 2017 or so. I have given away quite a few of my other Kobos over the years so only have about 6 of them around. For the most part, all solid state electronics once they get past the infant mortality period, seem to last very well.

As I've mentioned before, my limited experiences with Kobo customer service have been good. Though like most customer service, it seems that experiences vary all over the place. My experiences with Amazon CS for instance ranged from returning a SSD that worked for about 15 minutes after it was installed and then played dead which was exchanged with no issues after one CS call to a USB multi-port charger which arrived dead and it took multiple phone calls and customer service chats to get a replacement unit authorized.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 08:12 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If Kobo cared about customers, we'd either still have the Libra 2 or a Libra BW.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote