Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 02:16 PM   #1
Jasonc310771
Jasonc310771 began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
converting word doc to epub:Page break shows when it is not present in the word file.

I am using calibre 64bit Version: 7.17.0 and Word 2010.
I am having issues with page breaks at parts of the book where there are no page breaks. Attached is the test word file with the actual title. I have reinstalled word, reinstall calibre, reset the word template. and a load of other things to fix this issue. There are no visable page breaks in the document yet they still show in the converted epub file !
The page break shows before the title "The book of hymns" yet it is not in the word file.
I have not changed any configs in word or calibre.
Can anyone tell me why this might be happening.
TIA
Attached Files
File Type: docx NEW INSTALL TEST1.docx (13.3 KB, 8 views)
Jasonc310771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:39 PM   #2
Jasonc310771

this is another word doc that shows all the chapters correctly and there are no page breaks, I have tried to use the copy format method, but this did not work.
Attached Files
File Type: docx TEST 1 this work.docx (14.1 KB, 4 views)
Old Today, 02:42 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Imports typically insert Page Breaks before Headings (h1,h2,h3)
Do not use Headings just for STYLE. You can mak a stylesheet class that LOOKS just like a Heading but will not process like 1 (eg semi-auto generated TOC)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:07 PM   #4
Jasonc310771

It is only this book that the issue happen too. The other book is fine and the chapter markers works fine. If I remove all headings, there are no issues with the page breaking, but then there are no markers to show it is a start of a chapter. I would like to keep it simple and not have to edit the book once imported into calibre.
Is there another way to mark the titles of the chapter names, so that in the readers they can swipe to see the chapter names to go to without having to scroll through the whole book to find where they got to (should they view another book inbetween)
Old Today, 03:11 PM   #5
Jasonc310771

oh I posted but the post disappeared.
I would like to keep things simple without having to edit the book after import in to calibre. What other methods could I ues to set the chapters titles? I set these up so it is easier for people to find where they got to. Say if they viewed another book inbetween.
Old Today, 04:26 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonc310771 View Post
It is only this book that the issue happen too. The other book is fine and the chapter markers works fine. If I remove all headings, there are no issues with the page breaking, but then there are no markers to show it is a start of a chapter. I would like to keep it simple and not have to edit the book once imported into calibre.
Is there another way to mark the titles of the chapter names, so that in the readers they can swipe to see the chapter names to go to without having to scroll through the whole book to find where they got to (should they view another book inbetween)
You do not REMOVE headings. You simply change the H tags to a P or Div
BTW This really just applies to incorrect usage (not a real heading. Eg a bold sign.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:47 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The two DOCXs you posted use different Templates hence Styles.

NEW INSTALL TEST1
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW INSTALL TEST1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	210692

TEST 1 this work

Name:	TEST 1 this work.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	210693

Consequently we end up with different stylesheets and xhtml file break up in the EPUB

Name:	CSS files.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	210694

I convert up to a dozen DOCX to EPUB a week. The only thing I do to the EPUBs is to remove superfluous metadata from the OPF and rename the .XHTML files to match chapter numbers and or names. I never touch the formatting. If I see something wrong I correct the manuscript DOCX and redo the conversion.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote