Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM   #1141
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
- I used the OCP-KOReader-v2024.07.zip from post #1, is this the latest one or should I update/replace it with the nightly version? I see the nightly last one has today's date (8/18) but I don't think it's updated everyday
Only if there's something you want from the nightly version, whether that's a feature, a bug fix, or just for the joy of testing it. Otherwise it's a simple case of if it works it works.

Quote:
- what Plato does differently or better than Koreader? If I wanted to install Plato should I do all the procedure again with the one-clic script but using this time the Plato package?
There's a package that does both of them at once.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:31 AM   #1142
Raver
Raver began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
There's a package that does both of them at once.
I know, but I already installed the Koreader packet, in that case I have to install the new package (double or plato only) over my previous installation?

What Plato makes different or better than Koreader? Does it improve PDF reading?

Thanks
Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:40 AM   #1143
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raver View Post
What Plato makes different or better than Koreader? Does it improve PDF reading?

If you installed the combined package you have it and can easily try it. I always install the combined package so that I can check out the progress of Plato, but I don't use it.

In my experience:

stock reader is the slowest, KO Reader faster, Plato even faster
stock reader has the fewest customizations, Plato next, KOReader can customize everything
KOReader is the ugliest, stock reader next, and Plato is the prettiest

I've not tried PDFs in Plato, but I think it's mostly focused on the best reflowable format reading (e.g. epub)

I personally find KOReader to be perfect fit for me -- tons of customization and some really useful features (like qr code from clipboard, on the fly book-specific css editing, etc) I don't care how the menus or book browser look, I don't spend much time there.

...and before hitting send, I decided to try a PDF in Plato -- it works well, better than the stock firmware, but the cropping/reflow/etc is nowhere near as powerful as KOReader, but the crop tool is easier to use in Plato. Neither seems to support alternate page cropping for books that have a wide central margin that would normally be at the binding.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:12 PM   #1144
Raver
Raver began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you, no, I didn't install the combined package but only the Koreader one.

If I want to install the combined package, or add the Plato package, can I simply install it over the Koreader or do I need to remove/disinstall something before?

And what will I need to do to install future updates of these packages?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions
Raver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfmon, kobo, koreader, plato