Start Sigil
Tools/Saved Searches
Add Entry
Double click in Find column to open edit
Insert/Special Character
click on a special character
it goes into the code window

this is with Windows 11 and Sigil 2.2.1

I think this is part of a general problem where characters from Insert Special Character are handled differently from characters from the keyboard.
jwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 10:36 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Did this ever work? I do not think SavedSearches was ever designed as a PasteTarget. You should be able to insert it into Find and Replace's Find field which is a PasteTarget and then simply use the Find Replace menu to save your current Find and Replace into Saved Searches.

Again, the widget with current focus needs to be defined as a PasteTarget (class in Sigil) or it will not get to be the target of a paste.

So it is working as designed. So this is not a bug by definition. But it is inconsistent behaviour. You can of course copy that character to your clipboard and paste it anyplace.

If you want the Find and Replace inside the Saved Searches editor to be a Paste Target as a new feature, I would be happy to consider it.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 12:19 PM   #3
jwes
Enthusiast
jwes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Did this ever work? I do not think SavedSearches was ever designed as a PasteTarget. You should be able to insert it into Find and Replace's Find field which is a PasteTarget and then simply use the Find Replace menu to save your current Find and Replace into Saved Searches.

Again, the widget with current focus needs to be defined as a PasteTarget (class in Sigil) or it will not get to be the target of a paste.

So it is working as designed. So this is not a bug by definition. But it is inconsistent behaviour. You can of course copy that character to your clipboard and paste it anyplace.

If you want the Find and Replace inside the Saved Searches editor to be a Paste Target as a new feature, I would be happy to consider it.
What I would like is for clicking on a character in the Insert Special Character window to be treated the same as pressing a key. I don't know how difficult that is in Qt, but any other behavior is likely to lead to inconsistencies.
Old 06-28-2024, 01:21 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But as I explained earlier, the InsertSpecialCharacter dialog, grabs input focus when you select the character at that time so there is no other keyboard focus active. It is a dialog, not an input device. It is designed to paste chars into CodeView and FindReplace with one click.
Old 06-28-2024, 04:23 PM   #5
jwes
Enthusiast
jwes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
But as I explained earlier, the InsertSpecialCharacter dialog, grabs input focus when you select the character at that time so there is no other keyboard focus active. It is a dialog, not an input device. It is designed to paste chars into CodeView and FindReplace with one click.
I would say it is or should be functionally an input device implemented as a dialog box. Is there no SendKeys or equivalent in Qt?
Old 06-28-2024, 05:47 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

In fact trying to generate fake key events that the user did not generate is what can get your application shut down for security reasons.

No one else has expressed any interest in this given you can create and test searches in Find and Replace and then save them easily.

I will take your feature request under consideration. No promises.