Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Today, 03:27 PM   #1
Epsilon Rose
Epsilon Rose began at the beginning.

Device: Boox TUC
Question Setting Up a Calibre Library on an SD Card

I've decided to, finally, get around to downloading and organizing the collection of e-book bundles I've purchased from Humble and I'd like to use Calibre to help with that. I also think I know what I'd like the final result to look like, but I'm not sure how to get there and I'm hoping someone on here can help me. Here's what I'm trying to do:
  • I want my entire library to live on a microSD card. (I explicitly do not want two copies of my library, with one on the PC and one on the card.)
    • The card will move between my PC and Boox TUC e-reader, based on what I'm doing, but it will likely spend most of its time in the e-reader.
  • I do not want to rely on a network connection to my PC while I'm reading on my e-reader.
  • I'd like to use the portable version of Calibre, so it can live on the same card, but I'm extremely flexible on this point, if there's a decent reason not to.
  • I'm planning to use Moon+ Reader and Boox built in reader on the TUC, but I'm open to other apps, even paid ones, so long as they don't require a subscription.
Now for the tricky part. Here's how I'd like to interface with my library:

Reference Books
-> Subject
-->Sub-catagory

Graphics Novels
->Manga
-->Series
->Western Comics
-->Publisher
--->Series/Event/Character
---->Sub-Series
Novels
->LN
-->Series
->Western Novels
-->Author
--->Series

Now, I know Calibre relies on tags and filtering, rather than a folder structure, and it's pretty easy to see why. Unfortunately, that only works if you have access to the tag and filter functionality, and I don't think Moon+ Reader does. Without it, reverting to author->title is pretty cumbersome. To my knowledge, the main ways to deal with this are to either A) Export your library, which allows for an arbitrary folder structure, or B) Remotely connect to Calibre to handle sorting and retrieving the books.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, neither of these solutions really work for me. A requires maintaining two separate copies of the library, and duplicating all of the books, while B) seems to rely on a remote connection to my computer and, possibly, also duplicating the books. Is there another way around this dilemma or something I'm missing?

To be clear, I don't have a problem with Calibre maintaining it's own folder structure and using the same kind of tag/filtering on my TUC would be an improvement, but I don't know if that's possible. Is there a way to get Moon+ Reader to present my books in a more accessibly structure, without relying on the folders (possibly based on a file Calibre hands it or meta data) or is there a better app I should be using?

Also, any other tips on setting up this kind of mobile library or dealing with Humble would be appreciated.
Epsilon Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:33 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon Rose View Post
The card will move between my PC and Boox TUC e-reader, based on what I'm doing, but it will likely spend most of its time in the e-reader.
No, that's not how Calibre works. The ebook files only exist as ebook files because it's not viable to import the actual ebook content into an SQL database, esp. SQLight, so the actual SQL database file has the ebook file information. You need to treat the ebooks imported to Calibre as if they are invisible, except for backups.

There is a Calibre "Save to Disk" and that should be used with the SD card for the Ereader if not connecting it via USB. I connect my phones, tablets, ereaders etc via USB direct to Calibre and manage them. I backup the Calibre "system" including the private ebook files with rsync when Calibre is not running.

I've also tested the OPDS via Content Server and WiFi on one tablet running Pocketbook, but USB is simpler.

With Save to Disk, you can use templates to have any filestructure you want. But any ereader App (Moonreader, KOReader) that only uses a file system interface is like 1960s computing and gets very awkward with more than a few hundred titles. I found KOReader nearly unusable with 6,500. Also file organisation can't do collections (files would have to be duplicated) or series or multiple author titles easily.

You can't change how Calibre stores the imported ebooks, because those are ONLY for Calibre, they are part of the database.

I have about 7,000 ebooks and I'm happy with how Calibre works. Some people may have 60,000 or many more (maybe they can read half a dozen books a day or will live for 100s of years?).

The SD card has to have an export from the library, it's not the library, and you can use template to have the structure you want for Moonreader.

Last edited by Quoth; Today at 04:41 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:47 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, Moonreader isn't the best. Lithium and Pocketbook apps are far better (even free Pocketbook, uncheck 2nd box at install time). If the ebook needs tweaks, fix it in Calibre Editor. You can check an added ebook quickly with Calibre viewer and fix something faster than fiddling with over-ride settings in an ereader app.

Calibre is Library, device manager, viewer, editor, search system (inc full text search), ebook creator from docx and conversion program. The ebook files, once added are "private", hence being able to treat a directory/folder/disk as a device for "Send"/export/save.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote