Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-26-2024, 05:59 AM   #1
sgmoore
Connoisseur
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle Voyage
Three Questions about calibre running/busy status

1) What is the best way to determine if calibre is running?

2) Is there a way to determine if calibre is busy?

3) What happens if calibre is shutdown (using the --shutdown-running-calibre command line) whilst calibre is busy?

The questions arose from something that happened recently. I have a custom column to determine the type of book (e.g. eBook, Audiobook, Paperback) and when I added a new book and set the type I must have accidentality entered the value with a slightly different case (ebook instead of eBook). That seems to trigger a background update where calibre updated the opf of all my existing ebooks (over 5000 in number) and this process seems to have taken at least three hours.

So, if I want to shutdown calibre before running a backup routine, what would happen if I tried this whilst it was in the middle of updating all these opf files?
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 06:18 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
background updates will automatically be shutdown when you shutdown calibre. And resumed when you restart it. You dont need to worry about them.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 06-26-2024 at 10:14 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 07:39 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmoore View Post
. . .

So, if I want to shutdown calibre before running a backup routine, what would happen if I tried this whilst it was in the middle of updating all these opf files?
You could do what I do:

Run calibredb backup_metadata against each calibre library at the start of the backup script, that will finish off any outstanding updates at full throttle. Gets them out of the way for next time you start calibre.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 09:54 AM   #4
sgmoore
Connoisseur
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You could do what I do:

Run calibredb backup_metadata against each calibre library at the start of the backup script, that will finish off any outstanding updates at full throttle. Gets them out of the way for next time you start calibre.

BR
Just to double check.

Does that mean I should Stop calibre first and then run the "calibredb backup_metadata" command.

I can't seem to run this command while calibre is running (even with the --with-library option), but I was worried that stopping calibre would lose any outstanding updates.
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 06:46 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Firstly, if you stop calibre when there are outstanding metadata.opf updates, when you run calibre again it will resume processing the outstanding updates.

Secondly, you can't run the calibre library manager (GUI) and calibredb commands concurrently. The only CLI programs I ever run alongside calibre.exe are ebook-edit and ebook-viewer.

The reason I force the metadata.opf updates to complete before my daily backup is to ensure that if I restore anything from that backup I am not restoring 'out of date' data.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-26-2024 at 07:04 PM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote